PDA

View Full Version : No respect

Eric
March 14th, 2012, 07:57 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hCTXlHAOD_0/T2CjBkxjVhI/AAAAAAAAAwA/DJLlDt9uevw/s800/worlds_greatest.jpg

Stolen from The Gear Page.

markb
March 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cool! Though I was expecting drums or a banjo :D

Glacies
March 14th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Saved. And sent to my bass player :)

NWBasser
March 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I've seen that one at Talkbass. Still cracks me up.

It seems that bass players don't get very much respect. OTOH it doesn't help that there are a lot of sub-par bass players (in this area at least).

deeaa
March 14th, 2012, 12:11 PM
FWIW, I understand that at least Stateside drummers get most of the jokes, and bassists are pretty well respected. They even have their own mags and there are well-known bass players! :-)

Here I don't think I ever heard a drummer joke, and I can even think of several famous drummers from here...but not a single bassist comes to mind.
And the joke is ALWAYS on the bassist. Gazillions of bassist jokes out there. Here's one two of my faves:

A guy goes to music school and says he wants to play bass, having never played any instrument.
So, fine, the very first day they teach him how to make a sound 'bom'.
He comes back the next day and they teach him how to make a sound 'bam'.
But then he doesn't come any more. They wonder why.
A few weeks later a teacher sees the guy and asks; how come you never came back any more.
The guy replies: oh, I just get so many gigs with bands these days I don't have the time...

Another one:

A guy comes to a music store and says, waving a big pile of cash:
- I want that red trumpet and that metallic-looking accordion, please!
The salesperson asks: you a bass player?
- Yeah, why? he asks.
- No matter. I can sell you the extinguisher just fine, but the AC unit stays on the wall...

markb
March 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
How many country bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 - 5 - 1 - 5...

NWBasser
March 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=deeaa;223147]FWIW, I understand that at least Stateside drummers get most of the jokes, and bassists are pretty well respected. They even have their own mags and there are well-known bass players! :-)
[QUOTE]

Yes, we have our own magazine. They sometimes let us out of the house too if we behave properly.:poke

Outside of musicians, to the general public, bass players don't really exist. Well-known? No, not by the general public at least.

Ask a person on the street to name a bass player and you'll get a blank stare most likely. Some people may be able to name Flea though.

Eric
March 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, we have our own magazine. They sometimes let us out of the house too if we behave properly.:poke

Outside of musicians, to the general public, bass players don't really exist. Well-known? No, not by the general public at least.

Ask a person on the street to name a bass player and you'll get a blank stare most likely. Some people may be able to name Flea though.
Wow, that's a good point. I actually do think quite a few people would know Geddy Lee, Sting, and Paul McCartney, though they might not realize that they play bass!

I guess I never realized how anonymous bassists can be to the general public. Strange to realize that.

deeaa
March 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, geddy, sting, jaco, flea, trujillo, claypool, collins, kilmister, I can think of loads of famous bassists...
I guess drummers are more well known here still. I don't personally know many by name, I'm more of a string instrument kinda guy.

NWBasser
March 14th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah, geddy, sting, jaco, flea, trujillo, claypool, collins, kilmister, I can think of loads of famous bassists...
I guess drummers are more well known here still. I don't personally know many by name, I'm more of a string instrument kinda guy.

Dee, you're right that those are famous bassists among musicians. The public only recognize the ones that sing though, except maybe Flea and possibly Bootsy because they're so outlandish.

IMO, one of the greatest bass players ever, Victor Wooten, is practically unknown outside music circles.

But for drummers? I guess a lot know Neil Peart or Gene Kruppa. Come to think of it, I suppose it's even worse for respect for drummers.

R_of_G
March 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM

I typically want to slap those people as hard as Flea slaps his bass. They guy has made a career of (poorly) imitating Larry Graham and everybody puts him over as the greatest thing ever. He ain't funky. He doesn't rock. He's just loud. Whoop-dee-freaking-doo. I could spend hours listing bass players off the top of my head who play better than he does in every style people think he plays.

In my personal experience, I've heard many more jokes about drummers than bass players. My neighbor (bass player) contends drummers aren't actually musicians. I counter-contended that he was an idiot.

Ch0jin
March 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'm a guitar player so I'm clearly biased, but I'm compelled to defend drummers whenever these kinds of jokes are made (I do have a stash of drummer and bass player jokes though). If your drummer is off, it doesn't matter how amazing the rest of the band is, it will sound horrible. You can throw a weak guitarist and bass player in with a tight drummer and it'll still come out kind of OK. I reckon anyway.

Oh and as far as bass players go.... Les Claypool for sure, but I've gotta throw in the late Cliff Burton!

Eric
March 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM
You can throw a weak guitarist and bass player in with a tight drummer and it'll still come out kind of OK. I reckon anyway.

Oh and as far as bass players go.... Les Claypool for sure, but I've gotta throw in the late Cliff Burton!
I completely agree. When I met my best friend (who is a drummer), I realized the power of drummers on the music as a whole.

And I was going to cite cliff as a recognizable bassist by any real metallica fan earlier in the thread too. :)

Tig
March 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Let's not forget John Entwistle! He took the changes Paul McCartney made (giving bass a more active roll) and pushed them even further.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/images/John-Entwistle-a.jpg

I love Jaco and Getty. I was a fan of theirs before I was a musician.
Tal Wilkenfeld is a new shining star, as is Esperanza Spalding.

bcdon
March 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
When I met my beat friend (who is a drummer),

What the hell is a 'beat friend?' Oh wait, maybe I don't want to know :poke All you guys are forgetting about the coolest bassist of all times, Kip Winger! :)
http://www.chord-and-sorcery.com/Graphics/Images/winger/winger_kip/kip_winger.jpg

Eric
March 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
What the hell is a 'beat friend?' Oh wait, maybe I don't want to know :poke

Stupid phone. In case you haven't figured it out, that was supposed to say 'best'.

Ch0jin
March 14th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Oh how could I forget Tal Wilkenfeld! Nice Tig.

She has that perfect mix of being Australian and HAWT! (If you haven't already, check her out playing with Jeff Beck on the crossroads tour)

Glacies
March 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM
No real dog in this race, but if 311 was better known, I'd like to think P-Nut would be near Flea in terms of recognition.

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM
My neighbor (bass player) contends drummers aren't actually musicians. I counter-contended that he was an idiot.

Um yeah, this guy's no musician...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFcpBB4Yy_M

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Back to NWB's point, I do agree that most non-musicians probably couldn't name many people from the rhythm section of the bands they listen to, unless the bassist is also the singer. Doesn't mean the bass n' drums aren't important, but that's kind of how it is. Come to think of it, I'm not sure there are that many non-singing guitarists who the general public would know. Certainly more than the number of bassists and drummers, but there are probably plenty of people who don't know anybody other than the singer.

I'd say that for most people (general population -- music nuts and musicians aside), ability to recognize/know the name of a member of a band probably goes like this:

75% singer
20% guitarist
3% bassist
2% drummer

That is to say that if they were to name a member of a band, the likelihood it would be a given role in the band is based on the percentages. I've never really thought about this before, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

Yeah Eric, that seems about right.

However, as a bass player, none of that actually bothers me in the least. I'm fine with no recognition in that regard.

What actually ticks me off are the few guitarists that look down on bass players. While most guitarists really appreciate what I bring to the table, I've encountered a few that say "just play the roots this way (or something similar)" or try to bury me with volume. One guy actually reached over and turned my amp down to an inaudible level. Fortunately, he escaped with his hand intact, but I immediately packed up and never played with him again.

Retro Hound
March 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
As a non-musician, and to test Eric's theory, some bands with the first person that comes to mind:

The Who - Pete Townsend - Guitar
The Doors - Jim Morrison - Singer
Led Zeppelin - Jimmy Page - Guitar
Cream - Eric Clapton - Singer and Guitar

Those are all bands that I can name all the people. Now for some bands that I don't know all of the individuals (and some spellings my be wrong, this is off the top of my head):

Metallica - Kirk Hammet - don't know what he plays
The Guess Who - Burton Cummings - Singer
Joy Division - Ian Curtis - Singer
The Sex Pistols - Johnny Rotton - Singer
Jefferson Airplane - Grace Slick - Singer
AC/DC - Bon Scott - Singer
Aerosmith - Steven Tyler - Singer
Black Sabbath - Tommi Iomi - Guitar
Styx - Tommy Shaw - Guitar

Not a bassist or drummer in the bunch. Now I know a few, but they aren't the first ones that come to mind.

marnold
March 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
When I played bass, I used to just roll my eyes when a guitarist would bust out one of those jokes with a look on his face like he must be the cleverest person alive now that Oscar Wilde is dead. Granted, my experience isn't as widespread as many of you, but I never found another bassist or a drummer that got me really irritated. I found plenty of guitarists that I wanted to give a Peavey Fury to the base of the skull. Mostly it was because of (largely unfounded) arrogance. Yeah, you can play a lot of notes. How about playing in time, Chester? That'd be nice. Actually, the most talented guitarists I've ever met are guys that were incredibly humble and wouldn't say so much as a word.

I found that as a bassist I had to "translate" between the drummer and the guitarist. Even though I can't play drums to save my life, I could get a rhythmic point across to drummers. I remember clapping out the beat for "Back in Black" and singing the guitar riff so that a guitarist could figure it out.

Eric
March 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
When I played bass, I used to just roll my eyes when a guitarist would bust out one of those jokes with a look on his face like he must be the cleverest person alive now that Oscar Wilde is dead. Granted, my experience isn't as widespread as many of you, but I never found another bassist or a drummer that got me really irritated. I found plenty of guitarists that I wanted to give a Peavey Fury to the base of the skull. Mostly it was because of (largely unfounded) arrogance. Yeah, you can play a lot of notes. How about playing in time, Chester? That'd be nice. Actually, the most talented guitarists I've ever met are guys that were incredibly humble and wouldn't say so much as a word.

I found that as a bassist I had to "translate" between the drummer and the guitarist. Even though I can't play drums to save my life, I could get a rhythmic point across to drummers. I remember clapping out the beat for "Back in Black" and singing the guitar riff so that a guitarist could figure it out.
I think that while this post doesn't necessarily explain the 'why' of band dynamics, it is a pretty good paraphrasal of the typical complaints and roles that band members have. Although I guess you'd also have to include the singer in there somewhere.

Thing is, I think guitarists can be that way because they're the stars when it comes to rock music, at least as far as the musicians go. I personally think I'd probably be a better bassist than guitar player because I'm not flashy, my best strength as a musician in my timing, and I always try to get the band to stay tight. That said, I do always listen for the guitar in bands. From the bass players I've known, they're mostly interested in bass-first music and always have been. Seems to just be a mindset thing.

Spudman
March 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM
What the hell is a 'beat friend?' Oh wait, maybe I don't want to know :poke All you guys are forgetting about the coolest bassist of all times, Kip Winger! :)

Kip is amazing, but don't forget John Wetton.

marnold
March 15th, 2012, 12:13 PM
From the bass players I've known, they're mostly interested in bass-first music and always have been. Seems to just be a mindset thing.

I can only speak for myself, but as a bass player I always liked playing whatever. I played in a "1-5" bluegrass band and had a blast. The simplicity of the bass line meant I was free to wander the stage and be entertaining/a nuisance. I don't own a single bluegrass album and I doubt I ever will. Blues is the same way. Getcher "Big Book O' Blues Bass Lines" and let 'er rip. I'm far more of a snob when it comes to guitar music than I am bass music. That's probably because guitar (especially lead) is much harder for me. If I'm going to make that investment of time, I'd better freaking love the material.

While we're mentioning famous bassists, we can't forget my man Louis Johnson or Yes' Chris Squire. Or Rudy Sarzo and John Deacon (my two main rock bass influences). Or Billy Sheehan. I never set out to play like Billy, but I could always point to him as "proof" that it was OK for bassists to venture higher than the seventh fret.

Now I wanna play me some bass.

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
From the bass players I've known, they're mostly interested in bass-first music and always have been. Seems to just be a mindset thing.

FWIW, I really enjoy listening to good guitar work. However, I love the sound of electric bass which is why I play it and therefore listen to a lot of bass-first music.

If I can get both stellar bass and guitar, then I'm really in heaven. It's unfortunate that one is often times at the expense of the other though.

Also, no great bass player listings from me. I need time to eat, sleep, work, etc.

guitartango
March 15th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dee, you're right that those are famous bassists among musicians. The public only recognize the ones that sing though, except maybe Flea and possibly Bootsy because they're so outlandish.

IMO, one of the greatest bass players ever, Victor Wooten, is practically unknown outside music circles.

But for drummers? I guess a lot know Neil Peart or Gene Kruppa. Come to think of it, I suppose it's even worse for respect for drummers.

Sorry but i had to google Neil and Gene, but everyone know's Ringo !

Eric
March 15th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Also, no great bass player listings from me. I need time to eat, sleep, work, etc.
Huh? Not sure I understand what you were trying to say here.

Photomike666
March 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Exceptional Bass player has to be Steve Harris, founding member of Iron Maiden. Some of his work is outstanding.

Generally I think a lot comes down to personality. Many bass players are less arrogant, possibly less selfish?? If they wern't, they'd pick up lead and head for the spotlight.

Also, I find it amusing the is no mention of rhythm guitarists. It's like they're even more forgotten about.

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Huh? Not sure I understand what you were trying to say here.

What I mean is that if I start listing favorite bass players, I'd have no time left for anything else. I'd be here typing and typing and....

piebaldpython
March 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Willie Dixon from the old blues days and Johnny B. Gayden who seemingly played on everybody's CDs in the80's on up. He was Albert Collins' touring bassist and he laid it down nice and fat for Albert to riff over the top.

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Also, I find it amusing the is no mention of rhythm guitarists. It's like they're even more forgotten about.

Oh boy is that true.

deeaa
March 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Exceptional Bass player has to be Steve Harris, founding member of Iron Maiden. Some of his work is outstanding.

Generally I think a lot comes down to personality. Many bass players are less arrogant, possibly less selfish?? If they wern't, they'd pick up lead and head for the spotlight.

naah they just failed at guitar....runs for cover... ;-)

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Eric
March 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Nice.

NWBasser
March 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

:rollover

deeaa
March 16th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I have great trust in people's sense of humor ;-)

omegadot
March 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah Eric, that seems about right.

However, as a bass player, none of that actually bothers me in the least. I'm fine with no recognition in that regard.

What actually ticks me off are the few guitarists that look down on bass players. While most guitarists really appreciate what I bring to the table, I've encountered a few that say "just play the roots this way (or something similar)" or try to bury me with volume. One guy actually reached over and turned my amp down to an inaudible level. Fortunately, he escaped with his hand intact, but I immediately packed up and never played with him again.

Holy shit, I'd be PISSED.

NWBasser
March 17th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Holy shit, I'd be PISSED.

Yeah, I was quite pissed. Not worth an assault charge though.

Told them that since they don't want to hear any bass, then they obviously don't need a bass player.

Tig
March 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I was quite pissed. Not worth an assault charge though.

He should know to never bring a wimpy lightweight guitar to a bass fight!
:saw:

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Here is an interesting quote that I stole from a bass forum. This is just a short bit of a much larger treatise.

Originally Posted by Yep
"Bona-fide professional studio bass players are among the most sought-after and highly-compensated musicians in the industry. Some play with a pick, some play slap-style, some play with a piece of foam under the strings, some play upright, some are virtuouso arrangement and sight-reading experts, some just play the root notes of the chords, some play extraordinarily slick and sophisticated accompaniments, but one thing that they all have in common is dynamics control, down pat.

They deliver “hit bass.” And hit bass is unlike any other instrumental role, because it does not necessarily have anything to do with melodic quality or musical virtuosity in a conventional pop-music sense. It is perhaps most like the criteria used for hiring in the classical world, where tonality, intonation, and sensitivity to the conductor's time and vision are paramount.

“Hit bass” is a matter of being LOCKED IN. It means controlling note dynamics and duration so that the bass “locks” with the drums, and fuses the rest of the band together into a cohesive whole. Session bassists can make or break a song with microscopic performance gestures and nuance. They sound like professional “hit bass” as soon as they plug into the console input, and if you ever get to be in the room with one, it's an eye-opener just how polished, professional, and “finished” it sounds right from the first note.

If you're ever in that situation, and you're anything like me, then your first reaction might be to compliment the instrument and ask about it, maybe ask if you can try it out. And then you might go to play the same bassline on it and realize instantly that this person has a skill set that is far different from the conventional definition of “chops.” And you might completely change your practice regimen and attitude towards bass forever."

Certainly is food for thought and a perspective that I hadn't given a whole lot of thought to.

Eric
March 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Here is an interesting quote that I stole from a bass forum. This is just a short bit of a much larger treatise.
I don't get it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it sounds like a lot of fanfare for something that he has yet to define in any normal terms. The bass players have a good sense of rhythm? Good muting technique? Copious amount of 'mojo' (note: :puke: on that term)?

markb
March 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
"Hit bass"? The names Rutger Gunnarsson and James Jamerson spring most immediately to mind here. Not that any of the general public would recognise either of these names even though they've danced to them a million times.

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I don't get it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it sounds like a lot of fanfare for something that he has yet to define in any normal terms. The bass players have a good sense of rhythm? Good muting technique? Copious amount of 'mojo' (note: :puke: on that term)?

I'm not totally clear on it myself, but I think what the author is getting at is the attention paid to each note by the pro studio bassists is what sets them apart. I don't think mojo has anything to do with it.

I may well come up short on an explanation, but I guess the point is that the particular way each note is played on the bass may have an influence on the music. Much same way that different chord forms will change the feel of a tune with guitar. So, if you change note duration, attack, plucking position, etc. makes for a suit of small details with a large change is how the music is perceived.

I'm not sure just how close I am to this person's interpretation of things, but I've been paying a lot of attention to how I approach and play notes lately and am finding interesting things going on.

I think it's a given that a bass player should have good timing. The really exceptional ones can intentionally play around either a bit behind or ahead of the beat and make it sound good. I think that would only apply to jazz-fusion though...

Duffy
March 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I think this discussion would be missing something if John Paul Jones was not mentioned.

John Paul Jones was a master muscian formally trained and a multi-instrumentalist; probably most well known for playing bass, all sorts of keyboards, and a huge variety of styles of mandolins.

He received a lot of respect from Led Zepellin fans and was an impressive showman and very groovy player on stage. He was also, and still is, a major producer and muscian, playing with many bands and having his own band at present.

I listened to the first Led Zep cd a couple nights ago at night when everything was quiet and my mind was clear and free of preoccupation. Unaware of this thread, JPJ's bass and keyboard contributions on the cd struck me as very essential in the up front sound of the interwoven music of the players. He was totally grooving with the drummer but also was heard to move to stand out beautifully in so many songs, while Page laid back; as well as hitting it along with Page of course.

I also was turned on by the way he played the keyboards, evidently using bass pedals to give the keyboard parts a distinctly basslike affect. Listening to his keyboard playing I heard melodies that seemed to dip into the well of his background of serious symphonic music, hinting at the ambience of sound in a cathedral, etc. This keyboard playing in Led Zepellin may also be something that is not noticed sometimes, but, to me, is awesome.

I personally think that most Zep fans would greatly miss JPJ if he was ever replaced in the band; similar to how many of us Stones fans feel that something is missing from their music since Bill Wyman retired - the new bass player does not impart that same vibe to the music.

I think there are some bass players that have earned the respect of the fans of many bands, including, also, The Who and the incomparable John Entwhistle.

Also, I don't know if the fans knew it or not, but many great muscians like, as stated earlier, Albert Collins relied strongly on their bass players and had great respect for them. But this goes along with the thinking that in general bass players contributions are commonly appreciated by other muscians most.

Also I think it is true that in some bands bass players are relegated to minor roles hidden in the background. On the other hand great muscians like BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughn would often feature each member of their bands in live performances, giving them time to feature some awesome lead solo's for the benefit of the audience, reinforcing publicly that they didn't produce their awesome performance alone.

NWBasser
March 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I just found this joke about bass players:

An explorer is deep in the jungle, being led by a native guide. They are hacking their
way through dense tropical growth when suddenly drums start pounding in the distance.
The explorer freezes. His guide reassures him: “no worry. Drums good.” “The
drums are good? No danger?”
“Yes, drums good. Keep going.”
The explorer takes a deep breath and they trudge on. As the jungle gets thicker and
denser, and dusk starts to fall, the drums continue, pounding louder, ever closer. The explorer
asks again, “Are you sure those drums are okay... nothing to be afraid of? It
sounds like they're getting louder.”
“No. No worry. Drums good.”
They continue on.
As night falls and they start to break camp, the drums become even louder, more intense.
The explorer cannot shake a sense that they spell impending doom, but his guide continues
to reassure him: “drums good.”
Then, just as darkness settles most completely over the jungle, the drums suddenly stop.
The guide's face goes ashen, a look of horror in his eyes! The explorer asks, “What?
What's the matter? The drums stopped – is that bad?”
The guide responds, “When drums stop, very bad! Bad thing coming! No good for anybody!”
“What!? What is it? What happens after the drums stop!?!”

The guide responds: “Bass solo.”

:rollover

marnold
March 20th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I may well come up short on an explanation, but I guess the point is that the particular way each note is played on the bass may have an influence on the music.

I took that quote to mean the ability to play deep in the pocket, regardless of whether you are playing one note or 50. The bluegrass bass lines are very simple, but if the bass player is not in the pocket, the songs going to sound like they're on the verge of falling apart. In my limited musical experience, there is no cooler feeling than being locked in with the drummer in a groove about a mile deep. I wish I could bottle that feeling.

Eric
March 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not totally clear on it myself, but I think what the author is getting at is the attention paid to each note by the pro studio bassists is what sets them apart. I don't think mojo has anything to do with it.

I may well come up short on an explanation, but I guess the point is that the particular way each note is played on the bass may have an influence on the music. Much same way that different chord forms will change the feel of a tune with guitar. So, if you change note duration, attack, plucking position, etc. makes for a suit of small details with a large change is how the music is perceived.

I'm not sure just how close I am to this person's interpretation of things, but I've been paying a lot of attention to how I approach and play notes lately and am finding interesting things going on.

I think it's a given that a bass player should have good timing. The really exceptional ones can intentionally play around either a bit behind or ahead of the beat and make it sound good. I think that would only apply to jazz-fusion though...
Sorry, I meant to respond to this earlier. I can understand that explanation, as well as marnold's thing about being in the pocket; no doubt a bass is crucial to bringing a band together and it's not always in completely quantifiable terms. I think anybody who has listened to a lot of music can probably attest to how each instrument (including the bass, obviously) can have a big impact on the overall result. This thread has actually made me pay attention to how much a bass clicks with the rhythm of a song when I listen to music now, which is an interesting to thing to listen to in and of itself.

I think I just didn't like what I perceived to be a little bit of dramatic bluster in the quote you posted, because it ends up obscuring his main point, that being more or less what you restated.

BTW, nice joke. My wife liked it too.

Tig
March 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM
I respect some bass players more than others :AOK

http://youtu.be/15M62OtLrBQ

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/media/large/9/9/5/54e80c22a3944e502d3da8989e070.jpg

R_of_G
March 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
So the correct answer is Ron Carter?

Duffy
March 29th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Another bass player I think most fans know by name is the bass player for Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5j8In4wu3g&feature=related

John McVie.

Duffy
March 29th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Here is another one that I think most fans know and respect the bass player. He adds a to the overall vibe produced by Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham, and grooves with Mick Fleetwood. A lot of Fleetwood Mac fans would identify the bass player as John McVie. And how about Roger Waters, admittedly also a singer but definitely would probably be identified as the bass player by most Pink Floyd fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l35pI8QQPtA&feature=relmfu

I would admit that most ancillary bass players that are not founding members would be difficult for fans to identify without asking some questions.

NWBasser
March 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Duffy, it's true that a lot of fans would identify Roger Waters although a fair degree of controversy surrounds his bass playing.

It's my understanding that most, if not all, of PF's studio bass work was done by Gilmour. It was reported that Roger could barely manage the instrument for their live shows.

I think Gilmour stated that there's no way that Roger could have ever done the fretless parts found on several of their tunes.

Perhaps Roger's greatest contribution to the band was his singing and songwriting.

NWBasser
March 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I respect some bass players more than others :AOK

http://youtu.be/15M62OtLrBQ

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/media/large/9/9/5/54e80c22a3944e502d3da8989e070.jpg

Mmmmmm....sweet.

Duffy
March 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Interesting.

Duffy
March 29th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Duffy, it's true that a lot of fans would identify Roger Waters although a fair degree of controversy surrounds his bass playing.

It's my understanding that most, if not all, of PF's studio bass work was done by Gilmour. It was reported that Roger could barely manage the instrument for their live shows.

I think Gilmour stated that there's no way that Roger could have ever done the fretless parts found on several of their tunes.

Perhaps Roger's greatest contribution to the band was his singing and songwriting.

Interesting. - accidrntally left the quote out.

Bookkeeper's Son
March 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Chris Squire is no slouch on bass......

NWBasser
March 29th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Chris Squire is no slouch on bass......

Oh, quite true!!

Tig
January 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
http://www.guitarfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/beware-bass-player.jpg

:dance

davewrites
January 29th, 2013, 11:18 PM
You know who gets less respect than bass players? Tromboners.

I have three friends who are professional jazz musicians (trumpet, tenor sax and skins). They have countless jokes at the expense of trombone players. I can't hang with them without hearing 4-5 new tromboner jokes.

TRUMPET: "What's the difference between a skunk that was hit by a car and a trombone player that was hit by a car?"

TENOR SAX: "There are skid marks in front of the skunk." (chuckles)

SKINS: "The skunk was on his way to a gig." (belly laughs)