PDA

View Full Version : Nfl 2012

marnold
March 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Figured I might as well make one big thread. Might as well kick it off with the big news that the Lions locked up Megatron for 8 years (the last year of his rookie deal was ripped up), $132 million with $60 million guaranteed. Been a while since the Lions have had a player that can put the fear of God in a defense like he has. Plus he doesn't run his mouth all of the time and he is known as one of the hardest workers on the team. I know I love it when teams put him in single coverage on Madden :)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7685419/calvin-johnson-signs-7-year-extension-detroit-lions

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Whoa, that's a heap of dough!

There's really not much to report about my Seahawks. They seem to be trying to catch a decent QB these days. I think they need more bait though.

R_of_G
March 16th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Apparently someone reminded the Glazers that the cap floor has to be met within the next two years. Last year they did nothing in free agency. This year they nabbed Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks and Eric Wright within 24 hours and still have some money to spend.

Marnold, tell me more about Eric Wright. I haven't seen enough Lions' games to know much about him. I know the Bucs desperately need a starter at CB to replace Ronde Barber (who is one of my favorite all-time Bucs but just doesn't have it anymore).

The Jets, on the other hand, have done nothing except piss away $2.5 million on Wayne Hunter, the worst offensive tackle in the NFL. He should have been cut last year, or at the very least, let go after his contract expired. Instead, they signed him to an even bigger two year deal. Jets' fans are not happy. Stuck with Sanchez and still big holes in the offensive line. Watch how Rex and Tannenbaum draft guys they don't need instead. That team is doomed for mediocrity until Tannenbaum is gone.

marnold
March 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Eric Wright was serviceable. I wouldn't have minded having him back, but I'm not losing sleep over his departure.

R_of_G
March 16th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Eric Wright was serviceable. I wouldn't have minded having him back, but I'm not losing sleep over his departure.

Ok, so good enough to make the team and contribute but probably not enough to make me not still want them to draft Claiborne, the corner from LSU. Thanks for the info.

marnold
March 17th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Ok, so good enough to make the team and contribute but probably not enough to make me not still want them to draft Claiborne, the corner from LSU. Thanks for the info.

I think that's a fair assessment.

R_of_G
March 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I know Seattle is desperate for a QB, but $23 mil (10 mil guaranteed) for three years of Matt Flynn seems to be a contract even Kevin Kolb should find amusing. His own former offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin didn't seem to talk his new team in Miami into shelling out that kind of cash for Flynn and he's seen him play/practice day in and day out.

marnold
March 19th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I know Seattle is desperate for a QB, but $23 mil (10 mil guaranteed) for three years of Matt Flynn seems to be a contract even Kevin Kolb should find amusing. His own former offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin didn't seem to talk his new team in Miami into shelling out that kind of cash for Flynn and he's seen him play/practice day in and day out.

There were rumblings around here that the Packers might franchise him to get something for him in a trade. I thought they'd be stuck with a very expensive backup and then not be able to afford to re-sign Matthews or Jennings.

That deal is not a killer. I can see him being an improvement over Jackson. Given their options, I think it was a pretty good deal.

I was glad to see the Lions re-signed Hill and Backus. Backus has been a bit of a whipping boy in the Detroit, but he hasn't missed a game in his career and the deal was decent. Hill performed very well when Stafford was injured in the past. Hope they don't need him.

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM

On the opposite extremes, Seattle historically acquired Hasselbeck and Rick Mirer in our QB dealings. Hasselbeck was the best QB the team has had and Mirer was a very expensive disaster.

Where do you see Flynn between these?

I have no clue about him.

marnold
March 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM

Nor do most people. That's why he didn't get a particularly long-term contract. The Lions made him look like a world-beater last year, but the sample size is very small.

Eric
March 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Somebody compared him to Steve Bono. I don't really remember much about him other than the name. I feel like maybe he played for the Browns at one point?

Flynn could turn out to be pretty much anything: Mark Brunell, Matt Cassell, Kevin Kolb, Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie, etc. It's so hard to tell how someone will be in a new situation (i.e. with new coaches/offense/offensive line/tail back/receivers) when they're The Guy and defenses have a chance to analyze their game. I hope he turns out to be a really good QB, because you guys have needed one for a long time.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/espn-peyton-manning-picks-denver-broncos/1

Manning to Denver? I guess Tebow-mania, at least in Denver, is over. I have heard rumblings that Elway's beg ego didn't like having Tebow around. Just rumblings though.

I hope ends up being a QB that can use some of the strengths the team has to open up the offense some. It seemed at the end of last year that if they could not get Marshawn sprung open, they could not get much else going. A lot of that seemed to be the line getting pushed around, but if the Seahawks could get a QB that could make some things happen out of the pocket, maybe that would help open up the running game some too, which in turn could give the QB some room to operate\. I doubt the team can afford to go out and buy a big front line though. I hope they didn't pay too much for Flynn. It seems to me some strength in the line combined with a decent, mobile, not too expensive QB would be better than shelling out too much for a "saviour" QB.

Maybe Flynn will be all right. John McGrath, a long time commentator who has seen a lot writes some interesting thoughts in this piece and talks about the type of offense I was envisioning when I was writing the above before I read it.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/03/19/2073156/flynn-the-cure-to-a-spring-lull.html

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Upon further reading, it seems Flynn was picked up on the cheap which leads to not much downside risk and if he pans out then a lot of upside potential.

The biggest relief is that Lynch is back and hopefully the addition of Flynn with give the team a 1, 2 punch of run or pass.

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/espn-peyton-manning-picks-denver-broncos/1

Manning to Denver? I guess Tebow-mania, at least in Denver, is over. I have heard rumblings that Elway's beg ego didn't like having Tebow around. Just rumblings though.

I hope ends up being a QB that can use some of the strengths the team has to open up the offense some. It seemed at the end of last year that if they could not get Marshawn sprung open, they could not get much else going. A lot of that seemed to be the line getting pushed around, but if the Seahawks could get a QB that could make some things happen out of the pocket, maybe that would help open up the running game some too, which in turn could give the QB some room to operate\. I doubt the team can afford to go out and buy a big front line though. I hope they didn't pay too much for Flynn. It seems to me some strength in the line combined with a decent, mobile, not too expensive QB would be better than shelling out too much for a "saviour" QB.

Maybe Flynn will be all right. John McGrath, a long time commentator who has seen a lot writes some interesting thoughts in this piece and talks about the type of offense I was envisioning when I was writing the above before I read it.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/03/19/2073156/flynn-the-cure-to-a-spring-lull.html

Thanks Steve, that's a pretty good article.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I was thinking as I was writing the above of the days that Seattle had a very good running back in Curt Warner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjE3Dte3VsM

a solid fullback that could catch in John L. Williams, a long threat, Largent and his routes, and solid tight ends that could also block, and take a hit whilst bringing in a first down catch over the middle.

Dave Krieg, though having good efficiency numbers, was the weak link, and tended to turn the ball over. But anyway, an offense like that with a little better QB would be what I would like to see.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I can't help it. Here is some John L. in one of those sappy NFL films I guess relevant to 2012 in that I would love to see some of this diverse offense again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D_-8J-6ZCI

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Aw jeez Steve, now I'm getting all nostalgic.

Warner, Largent, Williams, Porter, and Chuck Knox, what memories!

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Don't forget local hero from Gig Harbor, Paul Skansi, who took those routes over the middle on third down time and time again, took the hit in the air, and held on to the ball.

Ok, enough nostalgia. I want to see this F'n new guy, Marshawn, Robinson who knows how to block, and whatever longer threat receivers that stay healthy, and bring some of that magic back!

R_of_G
March 19th, 2012, 05:29 PM

I'd love to know who's reporting those rumblings and on what they could possibly be based? In what way would Tebow do damage to Elway's ego? He's not now, nor will he ever likely be 1/100th of the QB Elway was.

I could see Elway's sense of incredulity challenged by the Tebow-mania phenomenon, I know mine sure was. It must have been difficult for Elway to be challenged by his team's fanbase regarding his ability to evaluate a position he played better than 98% of the people that have ever played it in the NFL. If the word is that the Broncos are looking to unload Tebow if they sign Manning, it seems Elway doesn't even think 2-3 years of learning under Manning would benefit Tebow enough to keep him around.

Quite frankly, other than Jacksonville who can use the "local hero" angle to sell tickets, I cannot think of another franchise in the league that would take Tebow to be a starting NFL QB.

As for Flynn, as Marnold and Eric noted, there's no way to know what he might or might not be. And yeah, it might not be the biggest contract in the world, but $10 million guaranteed still seems ridiculous for a guy with virtually no NFL experience.

sunvalleylaw
March 19th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Jayson, in retrospect, I shouldn't have even repeated that remark. It was simply the opinion of a guitar player who lives in or near Denver, that I read on another internet forum. I have no idea where he got his info or how he formed his opinion. (see footnote 1 below for my opinion of Mr. Elway) No one that I am aware of was actually reporting rumblings.

Re: your other point on Flynn, I was trying to say I have similar concerns. I want to see investment in a stronger front line in addition to a QB. As I was writing, I realized the deal had been inked, so I hope it works out. The Seattle area press seemed to think it was a decent deal. I just hope we get something near what I was envisioning. the article I linked did say the front line had been revamped, but no details were put into that article. I don't know the details at this point. So, I hope it works out, but remain concerned about the money.

As you have pointed out in other posts, the rules have changed to protect the QB's as teams seem to invest so much money in them. Maybe that is why the pundits think this contract is not such a bad deal. Ok, I will cease reminiscing about old Seahawks years in this thread, and post only on current 2012 stuff from now on. ;)

1. Now as you know, I am a long time PNW sports fan, was born into be in a UW Husky fan, and was there to watch the Seahawks since they started in '77, the same year as Tampa Bay. I say the following in the context of a good natured sports fan. I really don't like John Elway much. How could I? He was a Stanford QB when I was finishing high school and starting college, and went on to head up the Broncos, one of the Seahawk's traditional AFC rivals. My favorite time I remember seeing John play was in 1981 when Stanford traveled up to Husky Stadium to play. We Husky fans decided he was big headed, and vastly enjoyed seeing him ground repeatedly into the turf that game, which UW won. ;) P.S. This game was also reportedly the birth or rebirth of "The Wave" when fans rise and sit in a wave-like procession around the stadium. I know it was the first time I saw it.

"The Huskies, Wave can trace its origin back to Husky Stadium. It was October 31, 1981 when former cheerleader Rob Weller (the same Rob Weller who once co-hosted Entertainment Tonight) was back on the sidelines and instructed the Washington crowd to start in one section and make a human wave that rolled around Husky Stadium. The original Wave saw Husky fans remain standing until a full circle was completed in the stadium. Weller’s original idea - working with former Husky Band Director Bill Bissell - was to have the crowd stand rapidly from the lowest seats to the highest. But they could not effectively coordinate the attempts. The Wave is believed to have started in the third quarter as the Huskies reeled off 28 points in route to a 42-31 win over the John Elway led Stanford team."

Eric
March 20th, 2012, 04:04 AM
I see that we're back to being brow-beaten if we don't all adopt one opinion. I was hoping this thread would be different than last year's.

Here's to next season, guys. :beer:

R_of_G
March 20th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I see that we're back to being brow-beaten if we don't all adopt one opinion. I was hoping this thread would be different than last year's.

Here's to next season, guys. :beer:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that was in reference to my comment.

I'm not sure what your definition of brow-beating is, but I have no concern whether or not anyone adopts my opinion. Like anyone else here, I simply chose to share it. Nothing I said is out of line, or out of context, so quite frankly, what's the damn problem?

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hey Eric! I hope you don't think I was being over the top. I am admittedly a biased "home team" fan and have my prejudices. But I sure don't feel brow beaten either in this thread. I actually really enjoy sharing and discussing opinions with R_of_G, even when, or maybe especially when, we disagree. Same goes for anyone else here. In this case, I felt in retrospect that I shouldn't have repeated some other internet guy's speculative opinion regarding Denver's choices. I still think Elway has a big ego. Great QB that he was, he will never be my favorite. If there is something else that is a concern, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope we can carry on with an interesting discussion. (1) BTW, thanks for your info on Flynn! Though I have my reservations, I hope you are right that he turns out to have been a good, long term pick.

(1) (well, my Seahawk reminiscences may not be all that interesting to everyone, but I plan to carry on and look forward from here. ;))

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Ok, I know nothing about this Megatron who landed such a huge contract. What can someone tell me about him? also, what is going on with anyone else's teams? Any news on the 'Niners?

NWBasser
March 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM
..well, my Seahawk reminiscences may not be all that interesting to everyone, but I plan to carry on and look forward from here. ;))

Aw, I love those reminiscences!:socool

That brought back a flood of great memories.

NWBasser
March 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Any news on the 'Niners?

Probably the biggest news is that Manning isn't leading a team in the NFC West against the 'Hawks.

Sort of welcome news around here.

NWBasser
March 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm going to go ahead and assume that was in reference to my comment.

I'm not sure what your definition of brow-beating is, but I have no concern whether or not anyone adopts my opinion. Like anyone else here, I simply chose to share it. Nothing I said is out of line, or out of context, so quite frankly, what's the damn problem?

I thought it was a pretty good analysis of the Elway/Tebow relationship. I had no sense of "browbeating" in it.

I'll give a sigh of relief that the Seahawks didn't go after Tebow. Granted, I didn't see him play very many games last season, what I did see was consistent with your analysis of him as a QB.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Probably the biggest news is that Manning isn't leading a team in the NFC West against the 'Hawks.

Sort of welcome news around here.

Yes, that is welcome news.

R_of_G
March 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ok, I know nothing about this Megatron who landed such a huge contract. What can someone tell me about him?

Megatron is the nickname for Calvin Johnson, WR for the Lions who is considered the top receiver in the NFL right now. He's a monster athlete that can catch pretty much anything. Well worth whatever the Lions paid him. He and Stafford are a combo that can put points on the board in a hurry.

marnold
March 20th, 2012, 11:28 AM
He and Stafford are a combo that can put points on the board in a hurry.

You cannot even begin to know how much joy fills my heart when I read that. Of course, I can temper it with the knowledge that it took four high first round picks before they got ONE receiver, but he sure is a doozy.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Glad for you Rev! I may start casually paying attention to the teams Fretters are interested in. It has been a long time since i followed it much.

NWBasser
March 20th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Glad for you Rev! I may start casually paying attention to the teams Fretters are interested in. It has been a long time since i followed it much.

Me too. I'm happy for the Rev to finally have a decent team going. The Lions have been bad for so long now that it's really a relief that they are starting to have some success at last.

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Here is some more info on Flynn, containing the opinion of Coach McCarthy on Flynn's readiness:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/03/20/morning-links-mccarthy-says-flynn-is-ready/

And here is some more from the other TNT sportswriter, who feels Flynn is a good fit.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/03/20/2074447/hawks-just-like-flynn-young-and.html

The article also touches on why he feels the contract is a fair one and what he feels the current QB market is.

piebaldpython
March 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=NWBasser;223448]I thought it was a pretty good analysis of the Elway/Tebow relationship. I had no sense of "browbeating" in it.QUOTE]

Where's the "browbeating"? I don't see it. To be honest, I was shocked when I read the the Broncos had taken Manning.....because everything I read coming out of Denver was that they were happy with Tebow.

Then they go and get Manning and you have to figure that unless Manning makes a mess out of training camp......that he will be the starting QB and Tebow will be relegated to spot duty.

So, the thought is that the Denver brass figured that Tebow caught "lightning in a bottle" for a season (and what a season it was) and that next year was going to be a season of paybacks from defenses that get hip to Tebow.

marnold
March 20th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Saw that the Lions re-signed Stephen Tulloch for five years which is b.i.g. huge as far as I'm concerned. The Lions' braintrust (and I can type that without smirking) really did a whale of a job getting everybody signed and under the cap, with money left for the draft and a minor free agent or two. I'd imagine that Tulloch is pretty happy to be playing behind the likes of Suh and co. too. Next year they're going to have to redo Stafford's contract since he has restructured twice and his cap hit would be gigantic. I hope they can get Cliff Avril on a long-term deal by then too. Of course in 2014 the new T.V. deals kick in so the cap is going to jump.

I saw that the Bucs signed Wright for five years, $37.5 million. That's a lot of money--although I don't know how much of it was guaranteed. No wonder the Lions didn't bother to counter offer.

Hmmm. If the Lions actually know what they are doing, maybe the Mayans were on to something.

The picture of Manning holding an orange jersey strikes me as weird as seeing Montana's Chiefs jersey. Sounds like the contract has plenty of protection built in (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41745/brandt-assessing-peyton-manning%E2%80%99s-deal) for the Broncos.

R_of_G
March 20th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I saw that the Bucs signed Wright for five years, $37.5 million. That's a lot of money--although I don't know how much of it was guaranteed. No wonder the Lions didn't bother to counter offer.

I've yet to read how much of it is guaranteed, but yeah, that sounds like quite a deal for Wright and one for the Lions to not get involved in. I hope the Bucs' expectations for him are realistic.

Seeing Manning in another jersey is definitely odd, but I lived through Gretzky getting traded to Los Angeles. and Montana and Favre playing for different teams late in their careers, I can get used to this.

marnold
March 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM
I thought of you, R of G, when I heard on the radio that the Jets are one of the teams thought to be in the running for Tim Tebow. I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force.

And leave it to The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/panicked-redskins-send-another-couple-firstround-p,27649/) to put their own unique spin on the Redskins/Rams trade.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM
I thought of you, R of G, when I heard on the radio that the Jets are one of the teams thought to be in the running for Tim Tebow. I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force.

:what You can almost hear the wails of Alderaan, or in this case, New York.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM

:what You can almost hear the wails of Alderaan, or in this case, New York.

NWBasser
March 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
Big News!

I just read that Sean Payton will be suspended for the 2012 season and that Geg Williams was banned idefinitely. The Saints also got a $500,000 fine from the league.

As I expected, Goodell came down very hard the Saints for the bounty scandal.

Annnd...wait for it...Tebow is going to the Jets!:thwap

marnold
March 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, the deal is done. Tebow is a Jet (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7718133/new-york-jets-acquire-tim-tebow-4th-round-pick-source-says). They got him for a fourth and a sixth this year and get back the Broncos' seventh rounder. What I don't understand is why Jacksonville wouldn't have given at least that much. I must confess that I don't understand why the Jets would do this at all, having just extended Sanchez and signed Stanton from the Lions.

The NFL also dropped the hammer on the Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties). Payton out for the year. Their GM out for 8 games. Williams suspended indefinitely--this year for sure, to be reviewed at the end of the season. The Saints get a half-million dollar fine and lose their second round pick this year and next. An assistant coach is out $100K and six games. That's a pretty serious hammer.

Sure, NWB, post the same thing while I'm typing :) I have linkage though, so I win.

Tig
March 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Wow, Tebow and the Jets... Sounds a little like an Elton John song!

What a strange week...

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Man, not happy for R_of_G. Also, I bet my local Jets fan buddy is not happy either. He does not like overt religious displays in sports, and is certainly not a Tebow fan.

R_of_G
March 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM
I must confess that I don't understand why the Jets would do this at all, having just extended Sanchez and signed Stanton from the Lions.

What, you mean you can't understand why a team that just extended it's already mediocre QB and signed another mediocre QB to back him up would go out and trade away draft picks (something in short supply for the Jets) to pick up a QB who many consider less than mediocre? What doesn't make sense about that? ;)

My best friend, my wife, and my dad all sent me messages as soon as the deal was announced today, all trying to be the first to break the news to me gently.

It actually couldn't have come at a better time. After watching Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan take a very good 2009 team and make it progressively worse over the next two seasons had already brought me to the point of considering shifting my energies as a fan to the Bucs.

When the Jets didn't fire Mike Tannenbaum and then extended the contract on Sanchez and Wayne Hunter (worst OL in NFL history) I was fuming.

When they did virtually nothing meaningful in the opening of free agency while the Bucs signed two stars at two need positions and added depth at another, it made the thoughts of transition more appealing.

Today was the final straw. The team already has one QB that isn't progressing. This was the year to either replace him or bring in someone to challenge him.

What's Tebow going to challenge Mark Sanchez about, seeing who can throw a wobbly pass further over an open receiver's head?

It's a joke and a publicity stunt, and not that the Jets give a rat's arse, but today they lost a family of fans because my parents and siblings have now sworn off them as well.

As I said on Twitter and to my friends and family, and now to you guys (with editing here)....

F*** the Jets.
F***Woody Johnson.
F*** Mike Tannenbaum.
F*** Rex Ryan
Go Bucs!

NWBasser
March 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM
As I said on Twitter and to my friends and family, and now to you guys (with editing here)....

F*** the Jets.
F***Woody Johnson.
F*** Mike Tannenbaum.
F*** Rex Ryan
Go Bucs!

:rollover

You have my condolensces. Rex Ryan's inevitable spouting off at the start of the season will come across as absurdly comedic given the makeup of the team now.

Tig
March 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
I think the Jets are trying to see if they can become the most difficult team for fans to stick with. Call them the Met's of the NFL! :thwap

R_of_G
March 21st, 2012, 08:30 PM
I think the Jets are trying to see if they can become the most difficult team for fans to stick with. Call them the Met's of the NFL! :thwap

At least the Mets delivered a championship and three pennants in my lifetime.

Even the Knicks had some bright years in the early-mid 90s under Pat Riley.

The Jets have always been a joke, and under Mike Tannenbaum it's gotten progressively less funny (or I suppose more funny if you hate the Jets).

Today was a new low. Apparently there were issues over the contract which almost killed the deal, about which it was reported that the Jets never actually read Tebow's contract before making the deal.

I ask, is that the act of a responsible GM? Than why is Mike Tannenbaum so respected throughout the league?

It's a mystery to me how the man still has a job, though I suppose with the acquisition of Tim Tebow, Mr. Tannenbaum now fancies himself as more of a PT Barnum type than a football man.

Step right up and see The Tim Tebow Snake Oil Medicine Show.

R_of_G
April 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
How's your team doing in the draft?

I couldn't be happier with what the Bucs have done so far. Instead of mortgaging their entire draft to take a big-name RB (Richardson) which many of the "experts" in this town said was the only smart move the Bucs could make, they moved down (which got them a pick in RD 4 they didn't have before) and took the best player on the board at the time, Mark Barron, who just happens to be the top prospect at a need position.

I thought RD 1 was over for the Bucs at that point, and I'd have graded it an A. Instead, they swapped the #35 with New England for #31 and swapped 4th round picks (moving the Bucs up 25 spots in that round). They used the #31 to take RB Doug Martin who (a) is a great prospect and more importantly (B) is a complementary back to LeGarrette Blount who the "experts" here gave up on despite him playing perfectly well when he has blocking. Tonight they again ignored the big names on the board and took a solid prospect from Nebraska at LB, another need position.

So far, I give the Bucs a solid A for this draft.

As for that other team I once followed, I was surprised to see them take a DE and WR. I figured "need positions" for the Jets were acrobat, lion tamer and clown-car driver since they're running a circus, not a football team.

sunvalleylaw
April 27th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I haven't fully looked into it, but saw some blurbs that the Seahawks made an "edgy" pick or maybe squandered their pick, depending on your point of view. Bruce Irvin, a pass rusher out of WV. That is just from the headlines I read. Got a linebacker out of Utah State, Bobby Wagner in the second round. Don't know enough to really comment other than that.

piebaldpython
April 28th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I was pretty sick for 2 days this week and stayed home from work for 2 days. Happened to click on ESPN and caught a bit of Jon Gruden's Quarterback Camp thing. Good grief, such a pompous twit.......OMG, no wonder I can't watch/listen to him on TV. I hadn't seen him in about a year (probably about the time of my last rant re him) and if anything, he's gotten more obnoxious and full of himself. Can't some team hire him so WE don't have to suffer him on TV??? PLEASE!!!!

R_of_G
April 28th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I haven't fully looked into it, but saw some blurbs that the Seahawks made an "edgy" pick or maybe squandered their pick, depending on your point of view. Bruce Irvin, a pass rusher out of WV. That is just from the headlines I read. Got a linebacker out of Utah State, Bobby Wagner in the second round. Don't know enough to really comment other than that.

I can speak a little bit on Irvin as I saw many of his games being an alum of a Big East school myself. He's a good player and has potential to be a quality NFL player, but it was a massive reach on the part of the Seahawks to take him that early. There were several other players at his position that I think are better pro prospects. If Irvin was the guy they wanted no matter what, they would have been better served trading back and picking up extra picks and still getting Irvin later. Wagner I know virtually nothing about.

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM
The 'Hawks have seemed to be less effective with their draft options the last couple years, at least according the The News Tribune, and their pretty good writers there, and of course the history of the last year or two. I hope these picks work out better. The 'Hawks seem to be coming back, and I would love for them to get deeper in the ways I mentioned in this thread earlier. I have to read some more to see if we got that front line help I thought we needed. Injuries to the front line hurt us in the end of the year last year, and I feel we need more depth there. My nephew, super-fan, feels we are getting some, but I am not sure why he says that. Gonna have to figure it out. I am in this year in really following the team.

EDIT: I now see we picked up another QB (Wilson) out of Wisconsin in the 3rd. Hmmmmmm. We just got Flynn, and still have Jackson. I wish we would invest more in the other players we need. Carroll said they pick him because he was the most "alive" guy left and other teams in the third round behind the Seahawks wanted him. Maybe there is more trading to do.

The word on Wagner is more positive in my mind. "Carroll said that Wagner, 21, already is being looked at as the starter at middle linebacker, and he’ll work with the first unit during offseason workouts while veteran Barrett Ruud gets healthy."

He is 6' and 241lbs, has 445 career tackles in 46 starts. I like that better.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/04/28/2124119/another-surprise.html#storylink=cpy

Here is more on why QB's get picked in the draft. http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/04/25/2120354/with-two-qbs-headlining-draft.html

I kinda get what they are saying, but I guess I would just like them to build the whole team. I would like the economics and rules of the sport to revolve less around the guy taking the snap.

R_of_G
April 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
SVL - Though I definitely hear what you're saying on QBs, I think Wilson is a good pickup for the Hawks. There but for being an inch taller, he'd have likely been the third QB taken after Luck and Griffin. The guy was amazing at two different schools (which also shows he's able to learn new offensive terminology and schemes quickly) and is about as solid a character guy as you're going to find.

Call it hedging their bets or whatever, but with someone like Wilson in camp to push Flynn, the competition for QB is going to be a lot stiffer than it would have been with Tarvaris Jackson who everyone in the world knows is there to be a backup.

Also of note to the Seahawks, I though the 49ers had a strong draft and are doing very well in free agency as well. St. Louis also did well provided Bradford can get it together and hit some of his new weapons this season.

sunvalleylaw
April 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I would expect the 'Niners to do well. Though I miss the AFC days, I am more than before willing to let that finally go, and look forward to hopefully a good, competitive season. I don't need for the 'Hawks to be dominant. Just deep enough to weather a season, and stay scrappy and competitive. Here's to the hoe of a new season!

Re: that new middle linebacker, I like hearing about him. Again, I love to see a good linebacker play. Here's to hoping to see some good pop in the middle D too!

R_of_G
April 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Again, I love to see a good linebacker play.

Try to watch some of Carolina this season if you get the chance. I'll see plenty of them here in NFC South country. They already had Jon Beason who is criminally under-rated. In the first round the other night they added Boston College LB Luke Kuechly who looks to have the full complement of skills to develop into a dominant NFL linebacker.

Tynee
May 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM
I wish I'd been around more the last couple of months, I'd like to have weighed in on my Redskins and a few other topics. Suffice it to say I was not thrilled with the deal, but I'm coming around as I hear more and more good things about RGIII. How pitiful is it when the best you can say for your team's newly minted stud QB is, "Let's hope he's not a complete bust."

Marnold, keep an ear open for the name Ronny Sneed. I went to church with him while he was here in Lexington, and I'm rooting for him to make the Lions this year.