PDA

View Full Version : Elton John - Upcoming Stripped-Down Trio Album

Tig
March 15th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Elton John Hails Upcoming Stripped-Down Trio Album as 'The Most Exciting Solo Record I've Done in a Long, Long Time'
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/elton-john-trio-album/

Titled ‘The Diving Board,’ the album reunites John with ‘Union’ producer T Bone Burnett for a deliberately stripped-back collection that’s being described as a return to his earliest recordings.

I'm not sure when it will be released, but this is a welcome direction, IMO.

NWBasser
March 15th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Piano, bass, and drums. Yes, this is a very welcome direction for EJ!

I love his earlier work with Dee Murray, Davey Jones, and Nigel Olssen.

It's too bad that his voice is so far-gone.

R_of_G
March 16th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Titled ‘The Diving Board,’ the album reunites John with ‘Union’ producer T Bone Burnett for a deliberately stripped-back collection that’s being described as a return to his earliest recordings.

Sounds great, though I would have wished for one minor tweak. As it's a trio with a stellar pianist, I wish the third party would be guitar as opposed to bass, though perhaps that stems from Burnett producing which would make me think the guitarist would be Ribot (who served as the bandleader for Elton John's tour with Leon Russell). Either way, I love Elton John's very early albums and if he thinks this will sound like that, I'm interested.

markb
March 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Really ought to be Davey Johnstone on guitar. Stand by your man and all that :D

I love fat Reg's early 70s records but it's been all downhill from there imo.

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Piano, bass, and drums. Yes, this is a very welcome direction for EJ!

I love his earlier work with Dee Murray, Davey Jones, and Nigel Olssen.

I am looking forward to checking it out! I loved the old album photos with Nigel surrounded by all those Zildjians! Regarding his voice, he is a good enough writer and musician that hopefully he (and T-Bone) will write things to his current strengths.

R_of_G
March 16th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Regarding his voice, he is a good enough writer and musician that hopefully he (and T-Bone) will write things to his current strengths.

I'm thinking the same thing. Burnett will work with Elton to come up with stuff that suits his current vocal abilities. He's surely not the singer he was in the 70s, but I think he's still capable of putting out a quality album.

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Agreed.