PDA

View Full Version : I'm through with guitars

kiteman
March 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm afraid the day has come that I put up the guitar. Haven't played in weeks and no desire to play anymore. I sold one of my three guitars and got my MFX pedal (GT-10) on craigslist. Thinking about rounding up the extra stuff and put 'em on craigslist. I'm getting old, tired and losing memory as I forgot a lot of songs but I still remember my four songs. Weird.

Still I can't part with my Carvin DC127 and my Handsome Devil half stack, also my Adrenalinn III. The rest can go. Maybe one day, who knows.

I could list the stuff for sale here but I don't have Paypal nor do I care to.

I'm more interested in guns and joined several gun forums but I'll still hang around on guitar forums. Sold my Keltec PF9 and got a Sigma 9. Now I'm trying for a Sigma 40.

sunvalleylaw
March 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well, hopefully you'll find the desire again. I think it is good you are hanging on to your Carvin and your half-stack. That isn't a bad setup just on its own right there. If the other stuff sells, you'll still have something to play when the mood strikes you again.

bcdon
March 15th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Interests change, there is nothing wrong with that; especially if your new hobby involves guns. ;-) I hope you keep something around just in case the moment strikes and you want to pick up the guitar again. Open a thread here about your gun stories, I'd love to hear about them. :dude

deeaa
March 16th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I've sold basically all my guitars and music gear save for some recording tools twice in my life, only to start again after a year or two.

If I ever do that again, I may not start anew. So I persevere.

Eric
March 16th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I've wondered about this before. Things we deem so important at one point or that dominate our thoughts and hobby time (if it is indeed a hobby and not a job), are they really as critical as we think they are? Probably not. Kind of like deeaa said, you persevere and it's usually kind of enlightening just how optional most elements of our lives are.

Thanks for the update, Kite. I do hope you continue to pop in once in awhile -- it's good to have you around.

RobQ
March 16th, 2012, 06:27 AM
If it's a part of who you are, don't give it up because you think you should. Or even moreso because someone else thinks you should...

deeaa
March 16th, 2012, 07:04 AM
It is about what you think is important in life. For me, I think things like career, fame or money are always secondary to self-fulfillment and happiness. It may be music that serves as a tool to express myself and get a sense of accomplishment sometime, something else the other. But the most importance I put in what will I leave behind; my children and good opportunities for them to live without having to fight for living and sustenance or happiness. For that reason, I must also work and do the mandatory things in life. I hope, if not music, then another hobby will fulfill your needs for those other things in life, the small things so important.

Tig
March 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Kiteman, let the guitars collect some dust. It isn't a problem. We go through cycles.

I have 4 fairly expensive bikes in the garage that haven't been ridden in months or more, but I know I'll likely need them later.

It is easy to loose interest in guitar when we see ourselves getting into a rut, playing the same basic sounds. Don't worry about not remembering all those songs, either. We can define ourselves in so many different creative ways.

riverrick
March 16th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Good luck in your new endeavors. I tend to agree that you should keep some gear just in case. I can relate to forgetting songs. Seems like the older I get my brain can only hold so many songs, riffs whatever. I took about 18 year break from playing, then picked in up again in a BIG way.

deeaa
March 17th, 2012, 12:07 AM
What does it matter, if you don't remembers songs? I can play but a couple of old favorite riffs by heart, and maybe 2-3 songs like some old CCR tunes that have but 2 chords or so. But even those I prefer to sing with vocal/guitar cue sheets. I must have played a song like, say, Fortunate Son a gazillion times but still can't ever remember how it goes without a cue sheet.

I can play my own current songs, i.e. about 12 songs, usually, if I play them with the band, but even then if we don't play in a few weeks, I'll need vocal sheets at least for some if not most of them.
If I try to play them home alone, chances are I can't remember everything that way and need to check from our recordings what the hell is it I play, when I don't have the other instruments reminding me.

I never needed to know any songs totally by heart except in basically a couple of touring bands I was in...normally you can always have some cue sheets etc. anyway so why bother in the first place.
Of course if you're in a touring band and play guitar like every week and even daily or so, it's entirely different, but me, hell...I haven't now played the guitar but an acoustic once since we got the CD done and that's like soon, what, third week going? How could I remember something so complex like an entire song if I don't play it but a couple of times and even then only bi-weekly or so?

Actually, no, I DID record one song's guitar parts one evening, so I did play maybe 20 minutes or so.

Anyway, don't worry about it.

All this reminds me I should probably try to play some guitar soon and arrange some training session for next week and maybe see and mix that one new song that is almost done once I get it mixed.
Sometimes you just can't be bothered to do anything musicwise for a few weeks...but it's only for good. I always play a little better when I haven't played in ages and then pick up a guitar again.

Katastrophe
March 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Just remember, the guitar will still be there for you when you should need to play. Guns are cool, too, and I enjoy shooting/hunting, but music is a "have to" kind of thing for me.

If you forget a song or two, it's no big deal. I've forgotten whole setlists of songs. That just gives me the opportunity to create more!

Maslow put it best: "A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself."

Eric
March 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
but music is a "have to" kind of thing for me.
At least at this point in my life, if I don't have a chance to play some kind of guitar on a regular basis, I get kind of fidgety. On some level, that's kind of disturbing, but I just take it for what it is and try to feed the dog on a regular basis.

R_of_G
March 17th, 2012, 05:13 PM
At least at this point in my life, if I don't have a chance to play some kind of guitar on a regular basis, I get kind of fidgety. On some level, that's kind of disturbing, but I just take it for what it is and try to feed the dog on a regular basis.

This is where I am right now as well. If more than a day or two goes by without my getting a chance to do some substantial playing I begin to get anxious about some of the other things I'm doing. I suppose that means guitar is officially an addiction for me, and I'm cool with that.

kiteman
March 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Don't think I forgot y'all but I'm not getting notified of posts for some reason. Anyway I just sold my Boss Gt-10 and now got the Sigma 40 on order at the range.

I was feeling pretty good today that I got my stuff out and played for a while but got tired after a few songs. Sucks, must be my depression so when I go for bloodwork next month I'm gonna bring it up. Maybe he'll change my medication so it's either this or that that's putting me in a funk.

player
March 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM
been playing for over four decades.do not worry about forgetting anything.look at it as a chance to be creative and move on to play other things.never never get stuck in one area.always look to expand your horizons.best way I know of off hand is to experiment on the fretboard.it opens up windows you never knew were there.
while the band days Are long gone the creativity of doing something different and/or new is not.I still plug up all three of mine every weekend to try something new.guns are cool but unlike music they have limitations.guitar really has none if you think about it.
you may just need the break to rest your brain.we all go though it.

kiteman
March 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I've been through it before and I bought a keyboard to play with if I'm not gonna play guitar anymore. Can't even get into that because it means I have to start over again.

Is there some truth to that adage, you can't teach old dogs new tricks? :thwap

bcdon
March 18th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Is there some truth to that adage, you can't teach old dogs new tricks? :thwap

An old dog, absolutely not; a lazy dog, yes. Don't be a lazy dog! :) Give it a rest and come back when you feel it's time. :dude

player
March 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
An old dog, absolutely not; a lazy dog, yes. Don't be a lazy dog! :) Give it a rest and come back when you feel it's time. :dude
+1 bcdon. for the record 49 years playing guitar.17 in my own bands so been doing it solo a long time.classical piano before picking up guitar. You do not have to start anything over you would be just taking another journey down the music highway that never ends by tickling the ivories.

kiteman
March 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM
At least you guys are not going through depression and chronic pains like I do. That reminds me I have a appt Friday at the pain clinic. I'm ready for some more injections. probably why I feel crappy, they've worn off. Funny I forgot about that but they did last a long time.

Yea, I'll probably play again. Thanks guys.

NWBasser
March 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Don't sweat it.

I gave up music for about 5 or 6 years. Didn't play at all and sold my stuff. None of it was very nice at that time anyway.

When I returned though, I had a whole new perspective and deeper appreciation for music. I'm having more fun with it these days than I ever did before.

Like others have said, keep a bit of gear for the day when the passion returns.

Oh, and, um are going to sell your bolt?

Tig
March 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM
At least you guys are not going through depression and chronic pains like I do. That reminds me I have a appt Friday at the pain clinic. I'm ready for some more injections. probably why I feel crappy, they've worn off. Funny I forgot about that but they did last a long time.

Yea, I'll probably play again. Thanks guys.

Hang in there, kite. This too will pass. Fight the good fight!

As for the depression, it can cause the chronic pains. Work on the cause first. There's nothing wrong with any person having depression. The main thing is to mot let it control your life.

I don't suffer from depression, but have had a difficult time dealing with chronic pain over about 80% of my body the last few years. It is progressing and is usually between level 2 and 4 on a scale of 10. The med's (which I'll avoid) are worse than the pain, as I have a very high tolerance for it. You sometimes get so used to pain, you no longer notice it unless it suddenly increases or decreases.

Radioboy950
March 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
What you describe is not unusual KITE.
As things changed in my personal life--job, marriage, kids, friends, etc,--, there were many, many years where I did not touch any instruments.
However, I did keep one guitar because the instrument meant so much to me. I've held on to it for 34 years.
Even though the guitar stayed in the case for all those years, I always considered myself a guitar player, doing the bar band-gig thing way back when.
Then, my son showed an interest in guitar, and we began noodling and recording, and enjoying music together.
That provided the spark for me to begin playing again.
Being a hobby/bedroom player kept me busy for the last few years, but I am no longer satisfied. And am actively going to open Jams, and looking for bands.
But I digress.
It's very likely you'll take the guitar out of the case again one day. Keep a little rig, packed away in the closet for later :)

kiteman
March 19th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Don't sweat it.

I gave up music for about 5 or 6 years. Didn't play at all and sold my stuff. None of it was very nice at that time anyway.

When I returned though, I had a whole new perspective and deeper appreciation for music. I'm having more fun with it these days than I ever did before.

Like others have said, keep a bit of gear for the day when the passion returns.

Oh, and, um are going to sell your bolt?

Already sold. Then the Boss GT-10 and now I have the 4x8 cab on CL. I'm keeping my DC127, my Blackheart amp/112cab and my ADIII. Oh yea, the bass amp too.I'm selling the rest. What I have left beside the cab are little stuff like pickups and pedals, maybe more when I dig 'em out.

EDIT: I still have the Harper guitar which I know won't sell for half of what I paid for.

player
March 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Sounds good kiteman.at least it is a plan.
bcdon please check for a PM

kiteman
March 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Believe it or not I picked up my guitar today, played a few but hurt too much. At least I'm set up for Apr 5 and I asked my doctor if I can get the injections in my neck and my back at the same time. He said sure he can do it. Great, after that he can do my shoulder.

I found out that the waiting list for the Sigma 40 is long, too long in fact. My range's distributors still didn't get it after two weeks so I asked my range officer if I can get another gun even though the Sigma is paid for. He said he'll check it out and call me back later. Later he called and said he can do it and suggested a Sig Sauer P250c in 40. I looked it up on the net and I liked what I saw and what I read about it so I told him let's do it. Sat I'll come in and pay the difference and do the paperwork to take advantage of the special sale.

I'd really like the Sigma 40 to go with my Sigma 9 but hell, the Sig P250c's really looking good.