PDA

View Full Version : New Fender on the way...yeah, baby!

Radioboy950
March 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Pulled the trigger today on a Fender Blues Deluxe (http://www.fender.com/products/hotrod/models.php?prodNo=223220).
Wanted a combo format with some healthy wattage (40w) to handle most playing situations.
I've always liked 6L6 tubes, and the vintage tweed vibe is pretty cool.
At 40 watts, it should stay clean enough for me, and I'll stomp on an overdrive pedal if I need extra sizzle. I play a little bit of everything these days...funk, R&B, soul, blues, some rock. So I should be covered.
Other amps under consideration were a Peavey classic 30, Blackstar 40, Egnater Renegade & Tweaker 40.
Basically, I broke it down this way:
The Renegade was more than I wanted to spend.
I'm really not a "tweaker" with the switches and knobbies.
The Blackstar feels more like a rocker's amp for 80's crunch.
The Classic 30 was a very strong second, but I ultimately went for my true love, the 6L6 glass.
I'll report back after I fire it up and dial it in.

bcdon
March 15th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Congratulations! Sounds awesome. When is the new amph arriving? Don't forget to post pictures...in fact, I'll get you started!

http://media.fmicdirect.com/fender/images/products/amplifiers/2232200000_frt_wmd_001.jpg

Robert
March 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM
This is a killer amp, dude! It KILLS... honestly. Just play it LOUD. :D

Eric
March 16th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Cool deal. I'm with you on tweaking -- it's kind of fun, but ultimately I usually don't have the patience.

I've heard that despite the appearance, this amp is not so tweedy in sound. I played with a guy once who had one and it sounded really nice. Congrats.

markb
March 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I think the clean side of the Blues Deluxe had a bit less headroom than the Hot Rod but was still plenty loud before breakup. Whatever, they're very nice amps. :AOK

Radioboy950
March 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/radioboy950/FenderBluesDeluxe.jpg

This, right here, is some luscious tone!
Never owned a Fender amph, but played through a borrowed Twin (back in the 70's) for band rehearsal.
If anybody was home, forget it. Twin volume peels paint.
I wasn't really sure what to expect with the BDRI, but it seems like a wonderful amp for any situation.
Les Paul sounds gorgeous...Strat stuff coming next.

Let's see...
New Amp Day, off work, and it's Jam night over at the club.
Trifecta.

How's that for a Tuesday!

Tig
March 20th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Perfect Tuesday!
HNFenderAD! The more I play Fender amps, the more I realize they are perfect for putting me in my personal happy tone range.

Eric
March 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
The more I play Fender amps, the more I realize they are perfect for putting me in my personal happy tone range.
That's kind of interesting. I personally don't really know what that would be for me. I know that a lot of the music I listen to uses Fender, Vox, and Marshall amps, but that doesn't really help me know what would click for me. I know the sounds I like, but I'm not sure how they'd really be categorized, if that makes sense. Not that it matters all that much, but it's still interesting.

Oh, and congrats on the new amph, RB950!

Duffy
March 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe.

One notable characteristic that makes the Blues Deluxe nicer, to me, is that it has "real" tweed covering; where the Classic 30 has very hard to detect tweed looking "contact paper" or possibly tolex covering. I'm for the real tweed covering. I would get a Classic 30 in black if I got one.

I have played the BDRI many times and think it is an awesome amp. Many great players I know use them. I agree they are not too expensive but very nice.

Loud too. Happy rocking.