PDA

View Full Version : mad as owt!!!

mad4teles
December 8th, 2006, 08:30 AM
i was on ebay the other day and i came over all nostalgic when i saw a fender strat 62 in daphne blue , and i was sat thinking i remember when my dad bought me one when i was bout six in 75,(well he bought it for himself really but said i could play around with it !!) anyway we sold that guitar a while later as my folks needed the money and they sold it for about £150 in 76' then i scrolled on to the price on ebay for said vintage srtat ...£38000 :eek: oh how i wish i could turn the clock back ......i sometimes think the prices for these guitars can get a little out of hand . or is it just jealousy on my part????hmmmm

Spudman
December 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM
That is sort of like new Brittany Spears CD's...in 45 years they are going to be worth something...so hang on to them and don't use them for target practice (tempting as it is).:D

I know what you are saying I had a 64 Duo Sonic and a 64 Jaguar that I got rid of as a youngster. What did I know?:(

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM
So you have a lot of Britney Spears CD's, Spuds?? :eek: ;)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
December 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome mad4teles , you should check out "the ones that got awat thread" .
yeah well prices have been escalating for quite some time , back in the 70's when the quality of new guitars was less than satisfying players began to pine for the tonal and build qualities of the older guitars .. with fender it was the pre cbs guitars that became the hot ticket in the 70's as they became scarce the prices started to rise dragging the post cbs mid 60's fenders along with them , today even the 70's fenders which were basically terrible guitars have become desirable and have seen increased prices . its become a bit of a feeding frenzy and prices are not going anywhere but up .6S9L

r_a_smith3530
December 13th, 2006, 12:18 AM
...today even the 70's fenders which were basically terrible guitars have become desirable and have seen increased prices . its become a bit of a feeding frenzy and prices are not going anywhere but up .6S9L

That is the part that I really laugh about. I can understand the big bucks that a truely great, old guitar is pulling on the market, even if it gets in my craw that folks are buying them to store in a vault like Bearer Bonds, but when I see the garbage that was coming out of Fender and Gibson during the Seventies going for major coin, all I can think is how many folks have more money than brains.

My ultimate chuckle is that some brain-dead day trader may have possibly forked out more for my old '74 Wineberry Les Paul Custom than I have invested in my entire guitar/bass collection today. I want to just roll on the floor over that! It was a true boat anchor, all 13 and change pounds of it.

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2006, 07:00 AM
all I can think is how many folks have more money than brains.
They are buying them as investments, banking on the prices increasing further.
So far they have both money & brains. I wonder whether the bubble will burst at some point & they'll be left with lousy kindling.