PDA

View Full Version : HUGE speaker sale

otaypanky
March 21st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Huge speaker sale. Many are used for 30 minutes or less, left over from a speaker shoot out. Some have light use. All in excellent working condition. All are 8 ohm. Shipped prices are for the continental USA.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/ccc84c65.jpg

Eminence:
12" Red Fang 50 watts $165. shipped SOLD
10" Copperhead (2) 75 watts $115. for the pair shipped 1 SOLD, 1 STILL AVAILABLE
10" 55-715 (4) $120 for the quad shipped

WGS:
12" Reaper 30 watts $55. shipped
12" Green Beret 25 watts $45. shipped SOLD
12" G12C 75 watts $55. shipped SOLD
12" WGS G12N 20 watts $45. shipped
12" Burris 25 watts $45. shipped
10" G10C 75 watts $55.

THD 10" (4) $100 shipped for the quad SOLD

Here is the description I had gotten from THD when I bought them
"Here are some specs straight from THD: They are handmade in the USA, 8 ohms, rated at 10 Watts RMS continuous signal, 20 Watts peak maximum power handling and have 1" voice coils. For reference, I know many people who have used one of these daily for 20 years in Fender Princeton and Princeton Reverb amps, which are rated at 15 Watts RMS, and they have no trouble with that power level at all. (No one I know has ever blown one in a Princeton.)
They are individually hand-treated speakers, custom aged by THD using our proprietary method. These are from our last production run of this speaker, made in late 1990, as you can see from the date code. The manufacturer's code, 247, is our own, and designates that they were made by THD Electronics, Ltd. in Seattle.
These speakers were designed and built to sound and react like the original Alnico Jensen speakers used in the Fender Tweed Bassman of 1958, but without using Alnico magnets.
These speakers have a sweet, musical top end, a full, rich bass range, and a smooth, neutral midrange. They were designed to be their best in open-back cabinets and small combos.
The THD Vintage 10" uses stacked 10 oz Ceramic magnets to create the long pole piece and magnetic density necessary for a vintage, Alnico sound. We discovered that it was more the shape and dimensions of the pole and the field than the composition of the magnet material itself that gave the old Alnico guitar speakers their characteristic sound.
These originally had a list price of $95.00 each and a wholesale price of $47.50"
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/93493bfa.jpg

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 11:34 AM
Hmm. What would you think would work well in my Peavey Classic 30? The Reaper looks like a possibility. I would be looking for just a little tighter bottom end and little less nasal mid range emphasis as compared to the stock Blue Marvel Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the warm sounding Marvel. I understand the reaper to be voiced a bit more broadly.

FrankenFretter
March 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hmm. What would you think would work well in my Peavey Classic 30? The Reaper looks like a possibility. I would be looking for just a little tighter bottom end and little less nasal mid range emphasis as compared to the stock Blue Marvel Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the warm sounding Marvel. I understand the reaper to be voiced a bit more broadly.

The Reaper or the HM75 would be slightly scooped mids. I was thinking about putting a Reaper in my 2 x 12, but then I found an Eminence Texas Heat for cheap on Craig's list.

Btw, bump for some great prices from Bob. Considering that the prices include shipping, they're a real bargain.

otaypanky
March 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM
The WGS G12C is an great speaker as well IMHO
They have descriptions on their website but they don't say much
"The G12C is a 12" ceramic speaker with a 30 oz motor and seamed cone. It's comparable to the Jensen C12n. However, our speaker has a warmer sound and more depth in the tone. "

msteeln
March 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hmm. What would you think would work well in my Peavey Classic 30?google for PC30 mods and you'll find many experienced pov's on this subject, which will help fit your exact need.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 02:47 PM
So between the reaper and the G12C, can you compare them at all for use in a 1x12, 30W Peavey Classic? Slightly scooped sounds good to me as the one thing I would like to change about my C30 is dialing out some nasally midrange, and a little more bottom and top end. I currently scoop the eq by dialing back the midrange, just for that reason.

Also, the G12 is rated for 75W I see. My amph is just a 30W. Make much difference?

otaypanky
March 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
I had it installed in an Allen Sweet Spot I made from a kit. It's a 2 X 6V6 blackface style amp. I thought it sounded the best of about 10 or 12 speakers I tried that David sent me. I'm not very eloquent when it comes to descriptions of tone but I'd say I'm not a fan of a thin scooped sound. I like a full rich tone but with clarity and that sparkle you get from a blackface type amp. I could get nice driven sounds from it and nice clean tones, and it didn't fart out with a flabby low end.
The crazy thing about buying speakers is you don't know until you hear them what they'll sound like in your rig and with your guitar and playing style. And most of the time when I listen to sound clips on a website they're of little or no help

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/201ca97f.jpg

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM
I had it installed in an Allen Sweet Spot I made from a kit. It's a 2 X 6V6 blackface style amp. I thought it sounded the best of about 10 or 12 speakers I tried that David sent me. I'm not very eloquent when it comes to descriptions of tone but I'd say I'm not a fan of a thin scooped sound. I like a full rich tone but with clarity and that sparkle you get from a blackface type amp. I could get nice driven sounds from it and nice clean tones, and it didn't fart out with a flabby low end.
T/IMG]

Which one did you mean in the above? The italicized sounds good. I don't like things TOO scooped so that they are thin. I like some warmth too. I tend to like tweed sounds, but with some openness and clarity top and bottom, and not too nasally. It is really hard to describe, as you say.

Eric
March 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Which one did you mean in the above? The italicized sounds good. I don't like things TOO scooped so that they are thin. I like some warmth too. I tend to like tweed sounds, but with some openness and clarity top and bottom, and not too nasally. It is really hard to describe, as you say.
My guess is that he was talking about the G12C, but I see your point, as you did mention two speakers in your post.

Can I ask a favor of you, SVL? If you do get a new speaker, could you do an exact before/after test with the amp? I have next to no knowledge about speakers, but I'd like to get some data on the different models. Doesn't have to be anything fancy -- just some basic chords clean and dirty, and maybe a super-simple lead line.

Radioboy950
March 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
I have a Reaper 30 in a small 15 watt combo. I like it very much, and would describe it as more on the Brit side vs. an American type.
Brit-type, but NOT greenback. It seems much more balanced across the frequency spectrum and does not break up like a greenback.
More bottom, pleasing mids and sweet highs, which are NOT harsh.
WGS describes it as their take on a G12H30 70th Anniversary.
FYI, I hooked up the amp to to an old Blue Marvel, which sounded like garbage compared to the Reaper.
The Reaper is a very popular speaker, because it is so well-balanced.
However, if you're driving a 30 watt amp, I might opt for the higher-powered version of the Reaper.
I think it's rated at 50 watts, which would give you more headroom.
Having said all that...I wouldn't hesitate to try the G12 at that price mentioned here.

otaypanky
March 21st, 2012, 08:32 PM
I was referring to the G12C SVL

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
Ok, Thanks Otay. So do you think it (the G12C) would fit with my 30W Peavey? Sounds like it might be worth a try.

otaypanky
March 21st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I had a Peavey 30 back in the 90's but don't remember a thing about it. This speaker doesn't seem unusual in it's proportions. Are you close to running out of clearance with the Marvel?

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Naw, it has plenty of room. I think it would fit physically fine. I guess I just was wondering out loud about the "fit" in terms of sound. I did not word my response very well. I sent you a PM though. thanks!

guitarhack
March 22nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
So between the reaper and the G12C, can you compare them at all for use in a 1x12, 30W Peavey Classic? Slightly scooped sounds good to me as the one thing I would like to change about my C30 is dialing out some nasally midrange, and a little more bottom and top end. I currently scoop the eq by dialing back the midrange, just for that reason.

Also, the G12 is rated for 75W I see. My amph is just a 30W. Make much difference?

The Peavey Classic 30 uses a 16 ohm speaker, so none of these would really match, but WGS does make 16 ohm versions.

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Ah shoot. I was all set to pick up the WGS G12C, but didn't realize that Peavey 30's run 16 ohms speakers. I guess there is a mod you can do to run an 8 ohm speaker if you put a dummy plug in the extension jack. Anyone ever try that?

bcdon
March 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Ah shoot. I was all set to pick up the WGS G12C, but didn't realize that Peavey 30's run 16 ohms speakers. I guess there is a mod you can do to run an 8 ohm speaker if you put a dummy plug in the extension jack. Anyone ever try that?

Just get two and run them in series! :-)