PDA

View Full Version : Cold Sweat

Spudman
March 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM
I've been playing with the drummer and keyboard player on this recording for a few months now, the bass player only recently. The other guitarist we had, along with the original bass player quit a few weeks ago. This recording features our new bass player along with a couple of friends of his, the vocalist and other guitarist.

This was recorded, unknowingly to me, at the bass players studio on St Patrick's day. I had only just heard the song for the first time. We went through it roughly once and this take is the second time through with no real blueprint of arrangement. I am playing my Ibanez SZ320 and doing all the fills and the first solo. I wasn't sure how long it was going to be so I crapped out a little early. The rhythm guitar and final solo is done by the bass player's friend. They'd been working on this tune for a while.

http://www.box.com/s/22d51b2c70f1b82974c2

Tig
March 21st, 2012, 12:59 PM
I like it! It has a touch of SRV's "Cold Shot" in the rhythm but with a great original groove.

marnold
March 21st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Sounds pretty great for "winging it"!

helliott
March 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool tune. Thought your playing was more assertive than the other, and your tone is better. Really like the drumming. If I was producing I'd change the rhythm part a bit to lose the Cold Shot similarity. Not a big deal. Really good vibe.

Spudman
March 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM
Apparently it's a cover of a cover. The original version is James Brown. The cover is by The Bone Shakers. I'd never heard either one until 15 minutes before this take.

piebaldpython
March 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Great stuff Spud. Wish I could play that good "cold".

Spudman
March 21st, 2012, 08:54 PM
Great stuff Spud. Wish I could play that good "cold".

Thanks...me too.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Nice stuff Dood!!

marnold
March 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Apparently it's a cover of a cover. The original version is James Brown. The cover is by The Bone Shakers. I'd never heard either one until 15 minutes before this take.

Interesting. As I was listening I thought I detected a bit of a James Brown thing going on there.