PDA

View Full Version : Most Expensive Guitars

Retro Hound
March 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Has this been posted here before?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9131748/The-10-most-expensive-guitars-ever-sold-in-pictures.html?frame=2162741

Spudman
March 25th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I can't believe somebody actually got Richie Blackmore to sign a guitar. Wow!

Ch0jin
March 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Interesting, but could have easily been titled. "Top Ten most expensive guitars that will never actually be played again".

Of all of them, the Hendrix and EC Starts would be my picks, followed by the EC 335.

NWBasser
March 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I would have expected at least one Les Paul.

Commodore 64
March 26th, 2012, 09:39 AM
1) Reach out to Asia Fender Stratocaster:
Sold for $2.7 million
In 2005, this guitar was sold in an auction in Qatar to raise funds for Reach Out to Asia, a charity formed to help tsunami victims. The instrument is signed by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, Mark Knopfler, Ray Davis, Liam Gallagher, Ronnie Wood, Tony Iommi, Angus and Malcolm Young, Paul McCartney, Sting, Ritchie Blackmore, Def Leppard and Bryan Adams
Man, imagine how much it would have fetched if Bryan Adams had not signed it!

poodlesrule
March 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Interesting, but could have easily been titled. "Top Ten most expensive guitars that will never actually be played again".

One could say that, at this point, they are no longer musical instruments, but something else, like, say, an ornate door from a medieval castle?
(my original analogy was a dinner plate from the Titanic, but I did not like the lost-of-life connotation).

Tig
March 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I wonder how high Les Paul's personal gear will auction for...
http://www.guitarworld.com/les-pauls-personal-guitars-and-gear-hit-auction-block-june

"Julien's Auctions has announced its "Property From The Estate of Les Paul" auction, which will take place June 8 and 9 at Julien's facility in Beverly Hills, California. The sale will include property equipment, memorabilia and instruments that span Paul’s career from his days as Rhubarb Red to his weekly Monday night concerts at the Iridium Jazz Club in New York City."