PDA

View Full Version : Working new techniques into your playing.

oldtomfoolery
March 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Does anyone have any tips on how to work new ideas into the world of musical vocabulary? I tend to have trouble getting new things to show up in my live playing.

Spudman
March 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I've been working at home to slow down and widen my left hand vibrato. After a few weeks on consciously doing this I noticed at rehearsal with the band that I was automatically doing it.

My suggestion: just work on your own on the things you want to change and you'll probably start noticing them showing up in your playing on a consistent basis.

Robert
March 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
One word:

Transcribe.

markb
March 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
One word:

Listen!

More words:

Listen to material outside your "home" genre(s) and incorporate what you learn from them. Pastiche is bad but synthesis is good.

Spinshred
July 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM
When I want to play a new style in live situation, I usually practice it at home with my band mates,But I guess the answer to your question is you should learn a wide variation of genres to be able to learn something.

Pickngrin
July 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Interesting topic. I would think that repetition is key. On what I think is a related note, I was recently jamming with this blues band (whose members have much more experience than I do) and I thought that my soloing was lame. I think that my playing is more varied when I am playing at home, or with people I know better.