PDA

View Full Version : Playing quietly-Headphones

DaveO
December 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Hi folks,
My nephew wants to learn to play electric so his mother agreed to buy him a guitar and I would furnish a form of amplification. Now he has 2 younger sisters and they live in a small house with not much private time. Has anybody used something like the old Rockmans lately? I know they still make the rockman but it isn't up to par with the old ones (I've been told). Is there something else out there less than $100 I could look into.
Thanks, Dave

Spudman
December 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
$100 will get you a brand new Behringer Vamp 2 with carry case and footswitch-delivered. There are enough amp models and effects to satisfy most anyone especially a beginner.

I think Digitech and Zoom have some pedals that do the headphone thing too. I'm not sure what they cost though.

t_ross33
December 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hi folks,
My nephew wants to learn to play electric so his mother agreed to buy him a guitar and I would furnish a form of amplification. Now he has 2 younger sisters and they live in a small house with not much private time. Has anybody used something like the old Rockmans lately? I know they still make the rockman but it isn't up to par with the old ones (I've been told). Is there something else out there less than $100 I could look into.
Thanks, Dave
You can score a multi-effects pedal such as a Digitech RP-50 for around $100 on Musiciansfriend.com etc. (cheaper on eBay). I have the RP-80 which is the same, exept with an expression pedal (paid $125 CDN new). Should be good deals available on RP-50s, 80s etc. as they have been discontinued and replaced by newer, sexier (and more expensive) models. Korg, Line 6, Behringer all have similar modelling/MFX pedals. Just plug in the headphones and rawk :R

Lots of effects and amp models to play with which will keep your nephew busy and engaged for hours. It's more fun than repeating scales over and over through a clean channel, I'll tell you that much! :rolleyes:

The only downside I noticed is medium to low volume through headphones, though it's probably a lot healthier and will avoid ear damage down the road.

Hope this helps,

Trev

DaveO
December 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks, time to cruise ebay.

oldguy
December 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Dave,
I have a (gently) used RP-50, I changed some of the user presets to suit myself, though it can be reset to factory settings. I've just acquired a new RP-250 and don't use the 50 much now. If you want to pay shipping and handling, I'll ship it to you for your nephew. We'll call it a "Christmas present" for him. PM me if you're interested.:D
Glenn

t_ross33
December 8th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Dave,
I have a (gently) used RP-50, I changed some of the user presets to suit myself, though it can be reset to factory settings. I've just acquired a new RP-250 and don't use the 50 much now. If you want to pay shipping and handling, I'll ship it to you for your nephew. We'll call it a "Christmas present" for him. PM me if you're interested.:D
Glenn

That's the spirit, Glenn! Merry Christmas, indeed :cool:

DaveO
December 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM
PM sent oldguy. Thanks. :D :D
By the way, your sig is a line from my favorite Neil song. Does it appear on any studio album?

oldguy
December 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM
"Rust Never Sleeps.":D
BTW, I pm'd you back.

oldguy
December 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Hey, DaveO, any luck yet?

DaveO
December 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I was just about to go check the mail. I will let you know later.
Thanks, Dave

DaveO
December 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Glenn, everything arrived in great shape. Just got through playing...I mean testing, yeah testing, it out. Thanks for everything. I will be sending your check out tomorrow. I can't tell you how much he will like this and how nice it was of you to send it to me. Great to be able to help a young player when he is just starting out. It is now official ":R OLDGUY RULES :R"
Thanks again, Dave

oldguy
December 15th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Glad to hear it made it in one piece. I always get a little nervous mailing things. Merry Christmas to all of you, and I hope someday to hear maybe a clip of something your nephew plays. It is great to see younger folk interested in playin' music!:DR Tell him an old fogey up in Missouri says "Hi!";)
Glenn