PDA

View Full Version : Ric advice, please...

Zip
March 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM
So I have a chance to pick up a 1976 Autumnglo 4001 Ric for 12 bills. All original, seems really clean, OHSC. I don't know much about Rickenbackers or their values. Should I do it??

NWBasser
March 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
That's not a bad price for a vintage Ric.

For a bass that old, I'd look over the frets very carefully for wear and check the function of the truss rod(s).

Also, check the pickup output. The Ric pickups can age and lose output over the years (as do many others too).

And, it's only a good deal if you like the bass. Make sure you play it to see if it fits you.

Bookkeeper's Son
March 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
NW, how do pickups age and lose output?

Eric
March 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM
NW, how do pickups age and lose output?
The magnets in pickups tend to weaken as they age. Some people like that effect in guitar pickups a lot, which is part of why vintage PAFs command such high prices.

Bookkeeper's Son
March 29th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Magnet strength decay is yet another of those much-debated subjects, apparently. A couple of references I saw said that AlNiCo V magnets lose strength of about 1/2 of 1 percent (.50%) in 100 years. Doesn't sound like much.

NWBasser
March 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Also, you can get oxidization of the copper wiring. As well as physical delamination of the copper coils over time.

I don't actually know what magnet material Rickenbacker uses. My statement is based on many anecdotal reports that I've read on bass player's forums.

Zip
March 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I got it. It's got great punch. Way different than a Fender, for sure. Both truss rods turn fine. Frets have very little wear. Pups are strong, good output. She's home :)

Eric
March 30th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Cool! Congrats!

NWBasser
March 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Well, I got it. It's got great punch. Way different than a Fender, for sure. Both truss rods turn fine. Frets have very little wear. Pups are strong, good output. She's home :)

Winner!

However, we will need to see pictures of this supposed bass...Rulz R Rulz ya know!

When you say it has more punch than a Fender, ah, which Fender?
Jazz, P, P/J??

NWBasser
April 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hey Zip, any pics yet?

I love the look of those rics.

Zip
April 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I've got some great pics - on my phone, with no way to post them here. I'll get some kind of USB cord soon & post them. In the meantime, it looks like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/380376978060?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413), but with the original black p/g. Cheesy, I know...but the color's the same ("autumnglo").