PDA

View Full Version : F/S: Klon Centaur clone pedal

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
SOLD!! Thanks for looking....

If you're reading this, you probably know the reputation of the Klon Centaur and what kind of prices they command on the used pedal market. While I don't believe ANY boost/overdrive pedal is worth what these things sell for, it is a very nice sounding circuit, particularly when used with the gain set fairly low and the volume cranked up to push a tube amp into overdrive. Just seems to accentuate all the right frequencies and create a very pleasing mix of harmonics. There are any number of demos on YouTube, if you'd like to hear the pedal--as usual, the ones by Gearmanndude are among the best.

Anyway, the Klon was reverse engineered a few years back, and a number of exact circuit clones have been available since. One of the best was the Sunking from Madbean Pedals, now discontinued. By sheer serendipity, I happened across a non-functioning Sunking that the builder had given up on and was able to buy it for a very reasonable price. I traced the problem to an unusual defect in the footswitch that was causing a portion of the circuit to be connected to ground, whether the pedal was bypassed or engaged. Replaced the footswitch and it works perfectly now. I would hang onto it, except that I just bought two Klon clone boards that a guy over at the BYOC forums recently designed and had a run of 100 manufactured. Am planning to keep one of those builds and sell the other, though that's probably a month down the road.

Haven't taken any photos of this Sunking yet, and I can do so if someone really wants to see it. There's really not much to see, though--it's a plain polished aluminum enclosure, the typical pedalboard-friendly 125B size (2.5" x 4.7" x 1.5") with top-mounted jacks. Footswitch, small purple LED, and three black knobs (gain, tone, volume) in a triangle arrangement. No paint or decals of any sort. The builder did really nice, clean work--the soldering quality in particular is first rate. I was very surprised that he gave up on it before he got it running correctly, because the guy obviously had some skills.

In any case, it's for sale. Now, if a well-built circuit clone just doesn't cut it for you and you have to have the real thing, by all means head over to eBay, where there are always a few of these up for auction. AAMOF, I just looked earlier this morning and saw that between Mar. 22 and yesterday, Apr. 2, ten genuine Klon Centaurs had been sold on eBay. The cheapest went for $850 and the most expensive one for $1,480. No kidding.

Or you can have this one for $95 plus shipping. PayPal only. PM me if interested.

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM
SOLD!! (That didn't take long....)

markb
April 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Well, I don't need one 'cos there's one built into my VT40+ :rollover

Robert
April 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Me bought it! Horsing around with this, soon I will. Half-horsing anyway. :)

otaypanky
April 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Training for all those marathons makes Robert faster than the average human

Can you recommend any Klon clone kits that you think are good DVM?

Eric
April 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Can you recommend any Klon clone kits that you think are good DVM?
For a pre-assembled one, you could try this one:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/20143-F-S-Another-Klone?p=224175

I'm guessing DVM would also give that his endorsement...