PDA

View Full Version : Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory

SixStringJoe
December 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I scanned the old posts and did not see one about the DF7 and hope I'm not duplicating another post. Need to get myself a better distortion and had two of them in mind.

1. Digitech DF-7
2. Zoom g2.1u

I heard some good things about Zoom from a friend who uses one. Would like to hear from anyone who may have used the DF7. They claim to have packed 7 stompboxes into this one.

Cheers

Guitar-Chris
December 9th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I scanned the old posts and did not see one about the DF7 and hope I'm not duplicating another post. Need to get myself a better distortion and had two of them in mind.

1. Digitech DF-7
Would like to hear from anyone who may have used the DF7. They claim to have packed 7 stompboxes into this one.

I have a Digitech DF-7 and i think it is a very versatile pedal.

Not discussing whether the copies sound really like the originals, you get 7 very differnt types ov distortion. Beginning from the overdrive type of a Tubescreamer to really heavy metal sounds you will get them all.

You have also a recording device, because the DF7 also offers (a switchable) mixer out with speaker simulation.

My suggestion? Buy it. You can use ist as a normal pedal or as a recording device it always sounds great. But: Using it with a battery is no fun, it only stand a few hours so make shure to use a power connector.

marnold
December 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Check my post on the Digitech EX-7 (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1963). I had a post recently about the distortion models which are the same as those on the DF-7. I like the Ibanez TS-9, Boss Metal Zone, and EH Big Muff models. The DF-7 does allow for more control over the EQ of the models than the EX-7 does. The EX-7 also offers the mixer-out which is pretty cool. Musician's Friend has some clips (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-DF7-Distortion-Factory-Modeling-Pedal?sku=150838).

SixStringJoe
December 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
@chris - Thanks for that info. Christian. I'm assuming (like all other stompboxes) you can only use one effect at a time.

@Marnold - I read your extensive review of the Ex-7 :) Would you say the distortion on the Ex-7 is better than than the DF7. Since I already have the Zoom 505ii, I could use the other effects on them.

Thanks again

marnold
December 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I've never used the DF-7. However, the distortion models are the exact same ones on both the EX-7 and the DF-7. The difference is that with the EX-7 you can only control level, gain, and tone. The DF-7 allows you to control level, gain, and mid frequency as well as separate high, mid, and low controls. That's more controls than many of the original pedals offered.

With the EX-7 you also get the extra effects, but it costs twice as much. However, you can only use the distortion models without an effect by either using the whammy setting on dry or the Uni-Vibe setting with the pedal toe-up.

I have a Zoom 505ii and have found the effects and distortion models to be superior in every way on the EX-7. The EX-7 is a lot less noisy too.

Lev
December 11th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'd go for the Zoom G2.1u - you get so much more for the money - great delay and chorus options as well as cubase LE for recording to PC. The distortions are probably missing a good overdrive (tube screamer) type model but they suit me fine.

You can check my youtube posts to get an idea of how it sounds through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Levguitar

SixStringJoe
December 12th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I had to settle for the Zoom g2. Well, all they had was the Zoom 505ii, Zoom g2 & the Digitech RP250. I was kind of excited and then got back home to realise that it wasn't the g2.1u cause it didn't have the expression pedal. Anyway, I think it's a nice unit and is different from the Zoom 505ii that I still have. Maybe I'll get myself an expression pedal and move on. Thanks for all that in info there :)