PDA

View Full Version : I have an exercise for you... (guitars and amph content)

Katastrophe
April 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Okay... Here's the exercise for today, should you wish.

What's the rock bottom amount that you can spend on *new* gear, and still be realistically able to play with a drummer, bass player and singer? Assume the room is small (holds about 50 people).

The gear has to be stock, but guitars can be assumed to be professionally set up (frets levelled, intonation set, good strings)

Provide examples of guitars, amphs, and pedals, if'n ya want to!

This is a fictional exercise... I'm just interested to see what combinations of equipment y'all come up with!

deeaa
April 7th, 2012, 07:12 AM
can't check current prices but I'd go for some behringer v-tone 212 amph or possibly a peavey valveking combo, plus a squier hss strat or maybe something like epi g400. Would not be entirely happy but could work with 'em.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Photomike666
April 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Schecter Hellraiser c1fr, Marshall 102 and a boss me70

marnold
April 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
If you are patient (and occasionally lucky) you can get great prices on new gear that would drive the price down substantially. My DK2M cost me $299 new (new DK2s are $750 now). I got a similar deal on my bass.

Obviously it would depend on the style(s) you are trying to play, but I'd say a good mid-range guitar, a 20W tube amph, an OD, and a delay and you'd be ready to rawk. I could see spending less than $1000 if you shop carefully. My only problem with this scenario is that I'd also want a backup guitar. If my floating Floyd blows a string mid-set, I'm in a world of hurt. I probably wouldn't worry about that so much with a bass.

For guitars or basses, ideally I'd look used first. Better bang-for-buck.

With the equipment I have (see below) there is no reason I couldn't do everything you said, at least from an equipment standpoint. Talent is a whole other issue.

markb
April 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Guitar: Squier Strat or Tele OR Epiphone G400 or LP. 200-300 pounds
Amp: Peavey Bandit + footswitch. 250 with OD and reverb and power to spare for larger venues. If you want effects a Cube 80XL or a Mustang III.
Gig bag, cables: around 50.

Worst case, maybe 700. Not bad.

deeaa
April 7th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Ok now I went to store webpages;

Fender Squier Bullet HSS; 99;-
EMG 85 pickup: 77;-
Line 6 Spider IV 75 280;-

= 460€ / $600

Hm...I don't think much cheaper could be done, but with that setup I know you could create sounds worthy of any recording studio even.

Personally, I'd go used much rather...in new stuff, I'd spring for...hmm...

Epiphone SG Prophecy custom; 435;-
...and for amp, depending on what kind of music would be played: overall, a Tech-21 TM60, for bluesy/cleaner stuff Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified or Engl Thunder 50 for more metal stuff. All circa 700. Might also consider a Valveking and a JCM800 mod/speaker change done on it.

That'd come to circa 1200€ new, under 800€ ($1000) used in great condition, and nearly get the best gear I actually could even think of getting pretty much.

I think that extra 400 brings the whole kit from OK hobbyist stuff to totally pro level and is definitely worth it.

Eric
April 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Neat exercise. Based on my personal experience with pieces of gear, I think I could do it for 500 bucks:

-SX Tele (whatever the cheap model is) - 110
-Replacement pickups - 50ish bucks should get something good
-Fender frontman 212r - 300
I'd also potentially sub in a mustang 3 for amph, provided it didn't have that hardware defect that some have.

What are your picks, Kat?

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM
So far the lowest cash outlay is Eric's... Good call on the SX... I could gig with my stepdaughters bass as is, with the possible exception of a tuner change. Interesting take with the Frontman 212R... There's a guy on YouTube that gets all kinds of good tones out of his, using a pedalboard.

Here's mine: Squier Vintage Modified 70s Strat - Black with maple fretboard - $249.00, OR
Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom - black with humbuckers - $249.00
Jet City 20 watt ministack, like marnold's - $349.00

Total: $598

Either way, Strat or Tele, it comes out the same, but with options between single coils or humbuckers. I suppose one could throw in a Affinity Telecaster in there to lower the amount to $528...

The whole point of the exercise is that there is a ton of gear out there that can be gig worthy, and powerful enough to play out somewhere, without spending a ton of money! Thanks to all for participating... all the responses were great! Keep up the rig suggestions!

R_of_G
April 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM
SX Telecaster - $115
Marshall MG10FX 100 watt combo amp - $500
Add in another $50 or so for quality cables and you're set.

Eric
April 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Interesting take with the Frontman 212R... There's a guy on YouTube that gets all kinds of good tones out of his, using a pedalboard.
I used one recently at an audition and was kind of surprised by how well it held up tone-wise. Cut through well when I needed it to and responded well to the guitar...and that's one of those non-fancy ss amphs.

Brian Krashpad
April 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Okay... Here's the exercise for today, should you wish.

What's the rock bottom amount that you can spend on *new* gear, and still be realistically able to play with a drummer, bass player and singer? Assume the room is small (holds about 50 people).

The gear has to be stock, but guitars can be assumed to be professionally set up (frets levelled, intonation set, good strings)

Provide examples of guitars, amphs, and pedals, if'n ya want to!

This is a fictional exercise... I'm just interested to see what combinations of equipment y'all come up with!

Can the amph be mic'd or lined to PA?

A month or so ago I played to a 300-400 person room w/my little Super Champ XD and it sounded huge.

Katastrophe
April 11th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Either way, Brian!

markb
April 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I was assuming small rooms with only vocal PA hence my amp choices. They're probably a bit OTT for a 50 seater but are cheap and would serve you well for bigger venues rather than being something to get by until you play a bigger hall. That said I've played village halls to 150-200 strong dancing crowds with an unmic'ed Blues Junior AND been asked to turn it down. But I'd go solid state for cheap, clean power every time.

Katastrophe
April 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Really? I didn't think a Blues Jr. could get that loud! That said, I'm surprised that a Pro Jr. hasn't been mentioned yet.