PDA

View Full Version : F/S: Another Klone....

duhvoodooman
April 9th, 2012, 10:49 AM
SOLD!! Thanks for looking....

As mentioned in THIS POST (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/20123-F-S-Klon-Centaur-clone-pedal), I bought a couple of PCB's from a forum member over at the BYOC forums who had designed his own layout for the Klon Centaur circuit. He ended up selling about 100 of them, and now has a second "group buy" in progress for a similar quantity. They're selling well not only because of the almost mythical reputation of this boost/overdrive circuit, but also because the PCB's are very high quality double-sided, thru-hole boards. I didn't think I was going to have all the parts and time to finish the first of my two builds for a while, but it all came together late last week and I finished the first one on Saturday. Haven't started the second one yet, but that will be the one I keep for myself, and I have some modification in mind.

Circuit-wise, this pedal is identical to the Sunking I sold here last week in the above linked thread, and a direct, true-to-the-original clone of the Klon. However, it's a step or two up aesthetically from that very plain metal box. This one uses the slightly larger 1590BB enclosure that I bought from Mammoth Electronics, with a really nice metallic gold powdercoat paint job. The layout and color scheme were selected as a nod to the original gold Klons that now command astronomical prices on eBay and elsewhere. (If you want to see what the original looks like, look HERE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klon-Centaur-overdrive-/230766114322).) See photos below. The pedal is available for purchase just as you see it for $135 plus shipping--one-tenth of what that one on eBay is going for, but same circuit and same great tone. PayPal only. Contact me by PM if interested. For an additional $15, I will decal and clearcoat the pedal, as well. Again, it will stick to the Klon theme--I can provide a mockup graphic by e-mail, if you'd like to see what I have in mind.

Photos:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/download/file.php?id=1603

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/download/file.php?id=1602

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2012, 06:14 AM
** BUMP **

Would rather sell it here than FeeBay. Willing to drop price to $120 to sell to a fellow Fretter....

Eric
April 12th, 2012, 06:40 AM
That's some mighty fine work on the guts of that, DVM. I must say though...something is missing. Perhaps some black epoxy over everything would really take it to the next level.

markb
April 12th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Very fine guts indeed but shouldn't they be encased in a big glob of epoxy ;)

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I must say though...something is missing. Perhaps some black epoxy over everything would really take it to the next level.Obviously, I have "nothing to hide!" ;)

Eric
April 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Obviously, I have "nothing to hide!" ;)
I always assumed that the coward goop is what held in the mojo.

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
The goop isn't to keep the mojo in, just to keep prying eyes out. Besides, to quote music electronics guru R. G. Keen: "There is no such thing as "mojo"....in the physical universe"--a sentiment that I fiercely embrace. Tough to lock in something that doesn't exist to begin with....

Eric
April 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
The goop isn't to keep the mojo in, just to keep prying eyes out. Besides, to quote music electronics guru R. G. Keen: "There is no such thing as "mojo"....in the physical universe"--a sentiment that I fiercely embrace. Tough to lock in something that doesn't exist to begin with....
I guess I should have used the sarcasm tags to make it clear that it was a joke. Such are the limitations of the internet.

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
And I should have used the winkie emoticon to signal that I understood it was a joke! Forgive me--I always like to get on the soapbox about the term "mojo", whose primary purpose seems to be the justification of exorbitant pricing....

Eric
April 12th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Forgive me--I always like to get on the soapbox about the term "mojo", whose primary purpose seems to be the justification of exorbitant pricing....
I know. That's part of why I was baiting you!

It's sort of funny to realize the power of nuances when it comes to conveying subtleties like sarcasm. Had I used anything other than a period (e.g. ellipsis, exclamation mark, etc.) at the end of the sentences where I was being sarcastic, I imagine the sarcasm/joke would have been more obvious. As you mention, I think that's the role emoticons frequently play in forum-land.

Anyway, the point is that you have a mighty-fine looking pedal there, DVM. I'm quite tempted, but I'm resisting fairly well so far. Must...stay...strong...

guitartango
April 12th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Nice pedal duhvoodooman***, i have enough pedals at the moment so count me out at the moment, there is nothing like a good handbuilt pedal compared to the mass produced sh*** that must people buy....

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Anyway, the point is that you have a mighty-fine looking pedal there, DVM. I'm quite tempted, but I'm resisting fairly well so far. Must...stay...strong...
Resistance is futile! Submit and be assimilated into the Klon collective!

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2012, 08:02 AM
** BUMP **

Still available. C'mon guys--chance to pick up a neo-classic pedal at a fraction of what the "real thing" goes for!

kidsmoke
April 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM
DVM, as we've discussed in the past, I'm not one for lots of pedals, and this has all been a pretty recent journey for me. Your 'verb pedal has been great BTW.

With the purchase of my '65 Ampeg Jet, I've been wanting a pedal to get the breakup earlier, or simply add some breakup artificially, aka, OD pedal. I find all the descriptions a bit bewildering.

I'd pretty much settled on a Full Drive 2, because, from what I've read, it's got a great clean boost, and a great OD, and it's reasonably priced. Would the Klon Clone do the same sort of things? that's the impression I get. I know you're not just out to move a pedal, but to see dudes enjoying their rigs, so I feel safe asking for the comparison.

duhvoodooman
April 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
SOLD!!

Thanks for looking....

kidsmoke
April 20th, 2012, 12:42 PM
SOLD!!

Thanks for looking....

dayam. hoping that would collect dust for another week....

if you build another, PLEASE let me know.