PDA

View Full Version : New pedal! Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion

Robert
December 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Been watching the eBay auctions for a Maxon SD-9 for some time now. Finally scored yesterday! :D

Why am I getting it? Well, some my big influences are Scott Henderson and now also Michael Landau, both guys with great tone. Guess what - they both use the Maxon SD-9. I trust these dudes - they know tone.

The origin of the Maxon SD-9 goes back to the 80s. It's a simple pedal that can produce a range of sweet tones. Read more about it at http://www.maxonfx.com/9/sd9/

I'll tell you more about it once I've tried it. It'll be a week or so before I receive it.

marnold
December 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Is that one the same as the Ibanez TS-9 or is that the OD-9?

Robert
December 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM
No, it's not the same. I have heard it's based on the Ibanez SD-9 :) but with better parts.

marnold
December 9th, 2006, 03:40 PM
No, it's not the same. I have heard it's based on the Ibanez SD-9 :) but with better parts.
IIRC, Maxon actually makes the pedals for Ibanez. I checked Maxon's site and was surprised to see that their version of the TS-9 cost more than their version of the TS-808.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Whoa.. those are really nice.
Clip please? :)

Robert
December 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Oahh, I finally just received the SD-9 today! I will try it tonight, and let you know how I like it. I'll also record a video clip as soon as I can!

:)

Robert
December 27th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I tried it for 3 minutes at lunch today! Fantabulous! I'm gonna fall in love with this simple pedal. It has a very smooth gain. No harshness like my BD-2 has. More to come... but so far, a very big thumbs up.

Spudman
December 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
That's why you can never find the Ibanez SD9's anywhere anymore. They are really good!

Robert
December 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Here is a little video clip I hurried together - Maxon SD-9 Clip (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-29.php)

Excuse the poor video quality - I had the camera on battery instead of with the power cord, and I noticed it started dropping frames. Sound is fine though.

Great pedal guys!

Jimi75
December 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Hey Robert,

the pedal sound great.

I still got a TS9 at home, is it familiar with the Maxon SD9?

Robert
December 28th, 2006, 09:28 AM
If it is similar? I don't know, I haven't had a TS9. I suppose it similar, but I think the SD-9 has a less midrangy sound, and is more smooth. It is insanely smooth, this pedal. Crank up the gain all the way and it doesn't go into uncontrollable distortion, just smooth, fat distortion. It's a joy to play with this pedal.

Tone2TheBone
December 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
You still sound like yourself (which is a good thing) and that pedal sounded great. Thank you for giving me another thing to look for. ;)

kerc
December 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Robert, that pedal is sweet, man! Your playing is as amazing as always...!

tunghaichuan
September 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM
This was posted on the local (to me) Craigslist this afternoon again. I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on it:

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/831260907.html

tung