PDA

View Full Version : More GAS - Strymon Flint

Ch0jin
April 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I got their newsletter a couple of days back, and seeing as nobody has mentioned it yet, check this (http://www.strymon.net/2012/04/12/flint-reverb-summary-paper-three-classic-reverb-types/) out!

The Strymon Flint!!!!!

Half Reverb, Half Tremolo and no doubt, all amazing! I was really close to grabbing a Bluesky, but this might be even cooler!!!!!!!!!

I'm just reading through the reverb explanation page, and whilst I make no secret about thinking Strymon are hands down the coolest commercial pedal makers out there, I also really applaud them for leaving out all the b*llsh*t Mojo marketing stuff from their product descriptions and instead just explaining the theory behind why they sound like they do.

I regularly refer back to my El Capistan manual because I love the way everything is explained as if it were three real tape echo's. It really helps me understand what I need to adjust to get the sound I want. It looks like the Flint will be the same in that regard.

WANT!

Robert
April 12th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Very cool!

Ch0jin
April 13th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Are you still using your Bluesky much Robert? I was all set to buy one, then I saw the Flint. I'm sure the Flint will have less options in the reverb section than the Bluesky, but I'm expecting the trem section to sound amazing!

markb
April 13th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Mmmm, precioussss. I have seen Strymon described elsewhere as "the Apple of pedal manufacturers". That is just excellent.

Eric
April 13th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I have seen Strymon described elsewhere as "the Apple of pedal manufacturers".
I've seen that as well. Kind of funny, and probably at least somewhat accurate.

Robert
April 13th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I use my blueSky in the effects loop of my Suhr.... sounds BIG.

bcdon
April 13th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Are you still using your Bluesky much Robert? I was all set to buy one, then I saw the Flint. I'm sure the Flint will have less options in the reverb section than the Bluesky, but I'm expecting the trem section to sound amazing!

I wonder if the reverb is the same one that is already on your El Capistan?

Blaze
April 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I use my blueSky in the effects loop of my Suhr.... sounds BIG.

Cool !! ... Means there s a clip of the Badger comin ??

Come on Rob !!!

Ch0jin
April 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I wonder if the reverb is the same one that is already on your El Capistan?

The reverb on the El Cap is pretty cool, (and involved in my only complaint about the pedal. That being the inability to assign the reverb to the expression out) but the Flint has three types of verb so I'd hope two of them sound a bit different. Of course on top of that there's the decay and colour controls too.

The thing is, I really like the crazy shimmer sounds from the Bluesky, and I like the idea of a really nice tremolo.... Decisions Decisions :)

In related news, after months of owning it, I finally tried switching the El Cap from bypass to tails mode so I could run it as a looper in front of my new amp. If you haven't messed with this feature yet Don, you really should give it a go!

With the pedal in bypass mode the sound on sound looper is not real practical, but in tails mode (so, no true bypass, but (surprise surprise) it doesn't make any difference to your sound) it's heaps of fun! You use the bypass switch to turn record on and off and the tap switch to splice in, out and erase the loop. The awesome part is you can of course make your loops sparkly clean or mauled by a bear and anywhere in between.

markb
April 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Is the sound on sound any more useful than on a 70s WEM Copicat? If no, then they've got tape echo nailed :D

bcdon
April 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
The thing is, I really like the crazy shimmer sounds from the Bluesky, and I like the idea of a really nice tremolo.... Decisions Decisions :)

In related news, after months of owning it, I finally tried switching the El Cap from bypass to tails mode so I could run it as a looper in front of my new amp. If you haven't messed with this feature yet Don, you really should give it a go!

I have not tried that but it sounds cool. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

As for 'Decisions, Decisions' there is one easy answer, get both! :dude

Ch0jin
June 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Sly bump to mention I am on the waiting list for a Flint as soon as they ship some to Australia :) I cannot wait for some new Strymon goodness to grace my pedal board!