PDA

View Full Version : Poor Boston marathoners... heat!

poodlesrule
April 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Robert and other marathon runners: the temperature in Boston area is expected to be in the 80s on Monday, Boston Marathon day... ouch.

Remotely related anecdote: I used to work near the course path, and typically a coworker and I would take a long lunch break on Marathon day. One such time, we drove to the only music shop who had a then brand-new Kurzweil keyboard on display in the area, and he showed me stuff on it, the brass section, the grand piano, etc. Fun, and quite something at the time!

EDIT: arrgh, I misspelled Boston in the thread title!

bcdon
April 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
EDIT: arrgh, I misspelled Boston in the thread title!

I fixed it for you.

Robert
April 13th, 2012, 08:39 AM
That's not good. I ran it in 2008 (good cold weather) and I may go back next year. I have several friends who are doing it this year.

The absolutely worst thing there is, is to run a marathon in extreme heat...

poodlesrule
April 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Well, race direction has extended the race window to 6 pm.
Local coverage says that conditions should be similar to 2004's.

Interesting you are considering next year's. Let us know, some locals may be able to share resources... *cough*

EDIT: above may be unclear. Living quite close to the course, so I could offer some help, as needed.

Tig
April 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM
They imported Houston weather to Boston?
Welcome to Texas!

Bookkeeper's Son
April 16th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations". Sage advice for wannabe marathoners.

Eric
April 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM
The absolutely worst thing there is, is to run a marathon in extreme heat...
Indeed. There's a marathon in Minnesota (Grandma's marathon, I think) that is supposed to be really cool, but it's in freaking June or July. Blech. I ran the Rochester marathon a few years ago (quite slowly) and it was hot, ran along the Erie Canal, and there were absolutely no people cheering for about the middle 15 miles of it. It was so miserable. Much worse than heavy rain.