PDA

View Full Version : STRAT SLINGERS: The Magic of the Treble Bleed Kit

Perfect Stranger
April 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Any of you Strat Slingers out there that want a low cost mod for your guitars that will literally make you go "WoW!"
Then you need to give the Treble Bleed Kit a try. :thumbsup

I bought my kits from this guy....dirt cheap, FREE shipping, and work like a champ!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220989838843?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

WHAT IT DOES:
"Two new old stock Aerovox P323S paper in oil (PIO) capacitors .001uf (1000pf) and two 150k resistors

10% tolerance

Stock number - P323S1244

3/4" long x 3/16" diameter with approximately 2.25" leads

This kit is for passive electric guitars. Many times when you turn the volume down using your guitar’s volume pot, a lot
of the high frequency is lost. This simple “fix” will help your guitar sound the same no matter what setting your volume control
is at. By placing a small capacitor between the input and output of the volume control, you allow the high frequencies to
bleed through to the output. The resistor smoothes out the pot’s taper and the cap lets the highs escape the pot’s resistance
when you turn down.

This kit contains two paper in oil capacitors which I’ve found have the best sound. Any type of cap can be used, but I like
PIO caps.

This kit has detailed, easy to understand directions for installation, with pictures and diagrams.

I can send the components and you can solder the components together before installation, or, I can solder them together for
you. Your choice, you just have to let me know. Some people just want to use the capacitor by itself. Some want to wire them
in series. I like the components wired in parallel.

You get two new old stock .001uf PIO capacitors and two 150k resistors. This kit can be used with humbuckers or single coil
setups. Some pickup manufacturers have suggested using from .001uf / 1000pf to .0025uf / 2500pf caps for the treble bleed
circuit. Others suggest 250pf to 750pf. Only you know what you want your guitar to sound like.

All components are brand new. This is an easy mod. All you need is a soldering iron and access to the back of your volume
control."

I highly recommend letting HIM solder the kits together for you (there is no extra charge...and makes it oh, so easy for you).
He says that this treble bleed works great on LP and other style guitars too. I can't testify to that since I don't have any of
those any more. But it did wonders for my strat & tele, and I just ordered some more. Give it a try, the cost is so low it's a no
brainer.

:french

Spudman
April 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
That mod works really well and I've done it to several of my Strats. It works very well using ceramic capacitors along with the resistor for less than a dollar too.

Perfect Stranger
April 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM
BTW, he also sells all kinds of other caps and PIO caps at really great prices. Dunno if you've ever
checked the wiring diagrams for vintage Fenders and Gibsons, but many of the "icons" don't show
the normal 47 & 22 caps. Many other caps were used depending on the years and the models.
Experiment! :thumbsup