PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Wants Help

ujjawal
April 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Hello ppl...

Hey ppl.. i have been playing guitar for past 5 years.. but not actually playing.. :) anyway the question is..

if i'm playing a progression of Em(barred) and D(Maj-barred) .. while Em chord is playing over i have a set of notes (e, g and b) and while D chord plays i have another set (d, f#, a). So according to my understanding these are the notes from which the chord has been constructed.

Is that the correct theory.. But i find it hard to remember the notes over chord.. :)
Is that the only way...?

Thanks in Advance..

guitartango
April 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hello ppl...

Hey ppl.. i have been playing guitar for past 5 years.. but not actually playing.. :) anyway the question is..

if i'm playing a progression of Em(barred) and D(Maj-barred) .. while Em chord is playing over i have a set of notes (e, g and b) and while D chord plays i have another set (d, f#, a). So according to my understanding these are the notes from which the chord has been constructed.

Is that the correct theory.. But i find it hard to remember the notes over chord.. :)
Is that the only way...?

Thanks in Advance..

Yes you are correct in this theory, chords are made up from a set of notes so,

Em E G B
D D F# A
Am a c e
G g b d

If this helps

Eric
April 16th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Well, those 6 notes that make up the two chords are also found in at least 2 scales: d major and e minor. Try using those scales and their pentatonic scales over your chord progression. You might find that helps, but I also think you're on the right path by sticking to chord tones.