PDA

View Full Version : Why no ladies?

oldguy
December 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I've noticed the Fret is getting bigger daily. Yet there seem to be no female members (yet). How long do you fretters suppose it will be before some lady player jumps on board and astounds us with her playing, I know there are some awesome female players out there.
Just one of those things that makes you go.... ???:) :D :R :DR

duhvoodooman
December 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
You have read the postings here, right? ;)

Seriously, I have owndered the same thing myself. You'd think we'd get some brave lass to crash the gender barrier here!

oldguy
December 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Uh, well, I've read as many as time allows.:D
And I think it's just a matter of time...:) :D :R
Glenn

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I've noticed the Fret is getting bigger daily. Yet there seem to be no female members (yet). How long do you fretters suppose it will be before some lady player jumps on board and astounds us with her playing, I know there are some awesome female players out there.
Just one of those things that makes you go.... ???:) :D :R :DR

I won't out anyone, but I noticed a new signup or two in the last couple days who from username I would deduce female gender. We will wait and see who announces themselves.

EDIT: I just searched the recent signups and could find no evidence of the female looking user names I thought I noticed. Strange.

Spudman
December 9th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Perhaps we should offer some kind of prize for the first one to make an introduction. I'd put up a pair of my spandex pants and some old eye liner.:D

Spudman
December 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I was just thinking how ironic it is that we as men are noted for not stopping to ask for directions when we get lost, and here we have instruction city at thefret.net and no women are stopping to ask for directions or even to go for a ride down pickers lane. Isn't it strange? This is one for the conspiracy theorists.:cool:

Tim
December 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Well gentlemen, I have seen two “new” members with female oriented user names sign up in the last couple of days. They may be sitting back and watching how we conduct ourselves. But then they maybe phisers or scammers?

Justaguyin_nc
December 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I wonder... does it matter? Hopefully and more than likely they are out there.. and between the lessons and information they aquire here they are enjoying their time at thefret.net. Someday, they will ask a question like any other person new to a forum and with our gentlemen manner someone will reply.. I would assume a woman in a male domain would shy away 9 out of 10 times.. but I am also sure the ones wishing information or wanting to share some will speak up eventually.. Im also wondering.. if spandex is donated as a prize.. and the lady eventually shows up.. are we sure she will fit in your spandex Spuds? and do we really care? lol

Spudman
December 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Im also wondering.. if spandex is donated as a prize.. and the lady eventually shows up.. are we sure she will fit in your spandex Spuds? and do we really care? lol

Never said it was my spandex;) Besides, even if it was mine a lot of women have gotten into my spandex.:eek:

The ladies that I know that play guitar kick butt. I'm sure if there were any on the fret they would speak right up, introduce themselves and join in because they would not be intimidated by a bunch of old guitar playing geezers.:D

warren0728
December 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM
there have been a couple of newer members whose username led me to believe they were female....but i wasn't about to ask because i didn't want to scare them away.

Hopefully if there are some ladies on our board they will let us know....at least then we can warn them who to watch out for! :eek: :D ;) :DR

ww

SixStringJoe
December 11th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Ladies on this forum?! Hmm..when that happens, I'll have make sure I don't come out with some of my crazy jokes :D

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Spandex, guitars & retired people? I cannot believe that no ladies have joined our exclusive club yet.

warren0728
December 11th, 2006, 05:26 AM
maybe if i offered pancakes...... :rolleyes: :D :eek: :DR

ww

SixStringJoe
December 11th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Maybe we should have a note letting them know that even retiered women are welcome :)

tot_Ou_tard
December 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Ladies?

I can't remember when I've heard that term used for women.

Except in the phrase "Ladies & Gentlemen".

Maybe, it's a southern thing?

Tim
December 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
maybe if i offered pancakes...... :rolleyes: :D :eek: :DR

ww

Special ordered pancakes would scare them away for sure. Warren ... stay out of the kitchen. If you must, please close all window shades and curtains. Thank you very much.

oldguy
January 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Betcha thought I forgot all about this, didn't ya?
Well, I didn't!!!

Spudman
January 26th, 2007, 10:42 PM
You know...I bet if we did a bunch of posts and mentioned Lori Linstruth or Susan Tedeschi, or Meredith Brooks a LOT then maybe a few might just hang around and show us a thing or two.

http://www.susantedeschi.com/

http://www.lorilinstruth.com/

http://www.meredithbrooks.com/

Tone2TheBone
January 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I think the ladies are smarter than the gentlemen in here. :)

elavd
January 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Because the guitar (especially the electrics) appear to be more ..."male" instruments...

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Now we all can relax because we have our own Guitar Gal. Welcome to the forum and check out some of the links below. Lori Linstruth is very inspriational as well as K.T. Tunstall.

oldguy
October 26th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Oh, I was always relaxed, I merely posted a query last Dec. 9th to see if there were any theories on the subject.
And if I may reiterate, there are MANY ladies (yes, ladies, a proper term for the times, and not outdated, nor a southern thing), who can kick a$s on guitar.:AOK:

Spuds, mebbe I had two many beers, but what links were you referring to?:messedup:

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
These.

You know...I bet if we did a bunch of posts and mentioned Lori Linstruth or Susan Tedeschi, or Meredith Brooks a LOT then maybe a few might just hang around and show us a thing or two.

http://www.susantedeschi.com/

http://www.lorilinstruth.com/

http://www.meredithbrooks.com/

warren0728
October 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
i'm a susan tedeschi fan....saw her live at carnegie hall with etta james! (and of course her husband derek trucks is amazing) and K T Tunstall is cool too...i like her looping stuff

ww

oldguy
October 26th, 2007, 07:53 PM
These.

Cool. Thanks, missed 'em before.

tunghaichuan
October 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I like Nori Bucci's playing:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gamalon+bucci&search=Search

tung

Guitar Gal
October 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure why there are not more women fretters either. :whatever:

Thanks for the warm welcomes from everyone and for the links to other female guitarists. I have been listening to KT Tunstall and Sue Foley lately. Both are amazing.

:Dude:

BTW ...... am I the winner :messedup: of the spandex and used eye liner? Spudman?

GG

Robert
October 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Debbie Davies is a pretty wicked blues guitarist. Have a listen - http://www.myspace.com/debbiedavies

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
i'm a susan tedeschi fan....saw her live at carnegie hall with etta james! (and of course her husband derek trucks is amazing) and K T Tunstall is cool too...i like her looping stuff

ww

I have liked Susan a long time. Also, as a great performer and slide player, one cannot forget to mention Bonnie Raitt. She put on an excellent show here a year ago. I was very impressed by her tone and playing. Her old, worn in, Strat was her best tone.

BTW, really glad to have GG here! :AOK:

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
:Dude:

BTW ...... am I the winner :messedup: of the spandex and used eye liner? Spudman?

GG

Sure. If you'll tell me where to send it I'll even include one of my glamour shots from the other thread in the package.;)

YerDugliness
October 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM

ww

I saw Susan Tedeschi together with Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy, and BB, all in the same day and on the same stage at the same time.

Susan comes close to holding her own with Bonnie on the slide, but Bonnie walks away from her when it's time to sing. Something about those vocal chords that were pickled in whiskey for so many years--Bonnie Rules!!

Buddy Guy played that polka dot guitar so loud it hurt my ears.

BB was, well, BB--it happened to be his 70th birthday. He still has it!

Dugly :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
October 27th, 2007, 05:47 AM
And if I may reiterate, there are MANY ladies (yes, ladies, a proper term for the times, and not outdated, nor a southern thing), who can kick a$s on guitar.:AOK:

Mayhaps then it's an old guy thang? :D

marnold
October 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Jennifer Batten :AOK:
LZBuzbe9xCo
5vnP1u7yPbk

Spudman
October 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
[quote=marnold]Jennifer Batten :AOK:

Ya but she cheats...she uses both hands.:D

pie_man_25
October 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Never said it was my spandex;) Besides, even if it was mine a lot of women have gotten into my spandex.:eek:

The ladies that I know that play guitar kick butt. I'm sure if there were any on the fret they would speak right up, introduce themselves and join in because they would not be intimidated by a bunch of old guitar playing geezers.:D

what about us young guitar playing geeezers?!?!?!:reallymad:
:D

yeah, but I agree we need some females here,:drool:

ted s
October 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM
we need some females here,:drool:

Maybe you mean more ?

Hey GG, how about inviting some of your female fretter friends over ?

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I think this thread may serve to scare them away, more that it would to attract women in providing their perspective in the guitar/music world.

It might require adding a feature or two that would attract women to want to become part of the forum. However, that could be the wrong approach since the guitar, equipment, tech info and music should be the reason for the attraction (we know us guys aren't going to be the attraction).

Over at the "W" we had a couple of woman that made solid and entertaining contributions. Some passed through and a few stayed.

I'm not sure of the answer, but some of these posts in this thread appear to be written by guys that just got out after serving 10 to 20 (not a good attraction):rotflmao:

So GG on a serious note, is there anything that you would like to see on the forum or what do you think would attract more female guitarists?

Geez, I felt out of place just writing this.

SuperSwede
October 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I think this thread may serve to scare them away, more that it would to attract women in providing their perspective in the guitar/music world.

+1

Writing "we want GIRLS!!! drooooool" might NOT be the way to attract women.

ted s
October 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Nicely put Strum.

Guitar Gal
October 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM
While I cannot speak for "all" female guitar players as a group, I can say that I think the main reason there are few female fretters here or on any guitar forum is that overall there are fewer female guitar players. In my own circle of female friends, I am the only one who plays. While my female friends may show an interest in my guitar because it "pretty" or "sounds nice", none have expressed an interest in learning how play.

I am guessing this is for various reasons....a lot of women like long finger nails....can't have long nails and play guitar....at least in my expereince....others are just too busy with other obligations in life (family, work)......and I suspect that others would feel too guilty to spend time persuing a hobby that takes time away from being the mom, wife, girlfriend, career woman......cause after all, if you expect to improve your playing, you need to spend time on it. Women, in general, rarely seem to do something just because they "like it" or as a "hobby".....women tend to put everyone else before themselves. Again, not saying that these "are" the reasons.....but just some of my own personal observations.

So, I guess what this says about me is that I have short finger nails, need to clean the house, should be doing the laundry, and should spend more time with my family......but I'm too busy playing my guitar.....:DR and I don't feel one ounce of guilt :Dude:

GG

Spudman
October 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
So, I guess what this says about me is that I have short finger nails, need to clean the house, should be doing the laundry, and should spend more time with my family......but I'm too busy playing my guitar.....:DR and I don't feel one ounce of guilt :Dude:

GG

You are one of us now. Hire a house keeper and keep on playing.:D

luvmyshiner
October 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Heh, heh, good observations GG. I know with my lovely child bride I realized she was serious about learning guitar when she broke down and cut her fingernails. That was a very difficult step for her. She fretted over it (snicker) for a couple of months before her desire to play finally won out.

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Heh, heh, good observations GG. I know with my lovely child bride I realized she was serious about learning guitar when she broke down and cut her fingernails. That was a very difficult step for her. She fretted over it (snicker) for a couple of months before her desire to play finally won out.

It might also be the reason you've been wearing the same underwear for over a year now. Probably nothing left but a piece of elastic around your waste:whatever:

Hey, CB having any thoughts of saying hello to the folks here? It would be good to hear from her and give her a little break from lessons.

How about BG, what has she been doing these days. I guess school has her pretty busy.

luvmyshiner
October 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Different reason Strum. I'm still wearing the same underwear cause I'm to damn cheap to buy some new ones.:rotflmao:

CB's been lurking a little, but she hasn't signed up yet. Give her time, remember how long it took her to finally sign on to the Washburn forum?

BG (that's my daughter y'all, she posts as "Babygirl" over on the Washburn forum) has been to busy this semester to even return her poor old man's phone calls. The only time I've been able to talk to her in the last three weeks was last week when her flight to Louisville for some Music Therapy Convention was canceled. She called in a panic, I found her a cheaper flight on travelocity and emailed her the link, she swore she would call me right back and I haven't hear from her since. Kids. Watcha gonna do?

:deadhorse:

Big_Rob
October 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Its because the guy:girl ratio on the intrawebz is like 100:1 :rotflmao:

w00t!!!! Its my 420 post!!!!!!

pie_man_25
October 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM
While I cannot speak for "all" female guitar players as a group, I can say that I think the main reason there are few female fretters here or on any guitar forum is that overall there are fewer female guitar players. In my own circle of female friends, I am the only one who plays. While my female friends may show an interest in my guitar because it "pretty" or "sounds nice", none have expressed an interest in learning how play.

I am guessing this is for various reasons....a lot of women like long finger nails....can't have long nails and play guitar....at least in my expereince....others are just too busy with other obligations in life (family, work)......and I suspect that others would feel too guilty to spend time persuing a hobby that takes time away from being the mom, wife, girlfriend, career woman......cause after all, if you expect to improve your playing, you need to spend time on it. Women, in general, rarely seem to do something just because they "like it" or as a "hobby".....women tend to put everyone else before themselves. Again, not saying that these "are" the reasons.....but just some of my own personal observations.

GG

so you're a female fretter?:drool:

wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day, but now that I have, I guess I don't know what to say, ummm... me pieman, you guitar gal, and these are pancakes:pancake

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
didn't you read the headlines today - there is a world wide water shortage - stop your damn drooling.

Spudman
October 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM
w00t!!!! Its my 420 post!!!!!!

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side! :messedup:

Spudman
October 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
so you're a female fretter?:drool:

wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day, but now that I have, I guess I don't know what to say, ummm... me pieman, you guitar gal, and these are pancakes:pancake
Remarkably simple. See guys, that's how we chivalristically welcome our new lady fretters. Like Thoreau, simple and to the point.:AOK:

pie_man_25
October 28th, 2007, 11:24 AM
didn't you read the headlines today - there is a world wide water shortage - stop your damn drooling.

shit, oh well, I guess that means I can't look on the fender website anymore now can I?

ted s
October 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Drooling at guitars is ok, as long as you recycle your drool.

just strum
October 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM
shit, oh well, I guess that means I can't look on the fender website anymore now can I?

Hey, hey hey, I didn't say there weren't exceptions - cmon, we're only human.

Jampy
October 29th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I have seen a few feamle users on this board..no biggie either way to me, but I giess ti woul dbe cool to see more.

Algonquin
October 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Weel spokne Japmy!

Coudln't have siad ti btter myslef...

Spudman
October 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Oh great, the Canucks have been boozing it up again. Don't worry ladies they are harmless...just bad spellers.:D

Justaguyin_nc
October 29th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I really don't know why it matters if women or men are here?
I am here to listen and learn for Guitar players.. no matter how they are built..

:beer: :pancake :beer: :pancake

just strum
October 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I really don't know why it matters if women or men are here?
I am here to listen and learn for Guitar players.. no matter how they are built..

:beer: :pancake :beer: :pancake

Very good point. I've known GG for a while now and I would say her playing is more advanced than mine and she has provided me with some good information. Doesn't matter if they are male or female, just as long as they are fretters or aspiring fretters.