PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Adelaide South Australia

Cliff_Adelaide
April 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Cliff and I am from Adelaide, South Australia, Have just taken up guitar again about 8 months ago, I gave guitar up when I was 18 after my first band split and yeah wrong move. But hey not to worry. So I decided to go nuts and have a midlife crisis and get myself some Guitar gear and start to teach myself how to play again. (WHO EVER SAID YOU NEVER FORGET - TOTAL RUBBISH) I use to play real well and also read music. Can still play so so but read music not a chance lol..

Anyway here is some of my gear I got, nothing fancy but remember going through a midlife crisis and when I gave guitar up I had a Sakai Guitar with a 15watt Coronet Amp lol.

Here is a list what I got now.

Guitar 1 : Ibanez RG370BK
Guitar 2 : Jackson DK2S
Amp : Peavy ValveKing VK100 head with Quad
Effects Line6 M13 Stompbox..

So I have signed up with the forum to see if I can get some help setting the tones on the the M13 and not having much luck. I play stuff from Joe Statriani, Steve Vai, Judas Priest, Iron Maden, The Shadows, Pink Floyd and lots more.:socool

Ch0jin
April 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Welcome aboard! We seem to have a few Australians signing up lately which is cool.

I can't help with the M13 though. I'm still rocking a cupboard full of individual stomp boxes :)

Tig
April 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Cliff! There are several here who have picked up the guitar again after years away (me, too).

You'll find plenty of useful information in places like the Beginners & Newbies (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php/50-Beginners-amp-Newbies) and the Technique, Theory and Playing (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php/38-Technique-Theory-and-Playing) sections.

bcdon
April 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hey Cliff, welcome to The Fret!! :dude

Cliff_Adelaide
April 17th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the kind welcomes :). I bought the M13 because I was told the were a great stompbox pedal. I sold my Line 6 POD X3 Live to buy this. Am starting to regret that move as I have the X3 live set up well with some on the Vai and Satch and other tones. Have had the the M13 for about 2 weeks now and got nowhere. Maybe got a sort of a decent Pink Floyd tone but still not great. Dont want to get rid of it as I bought it brand new and cost me $500 Aust. Frustrated is a understatement :(

Spudman
April 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi and welcome Cliff.:wave:

I have an M13 too. I've been gigging it for the past couple of years and I really like it. Simple to use and set up. I don't worry too much about trying to emulate anybody else's tones with it though. I get a sound in my head and then I tweak it to what I want to hear. It works great for that. It's a keeper for me. It works better at band volumes than at home in a sterile listening environment. It's too easy to nit pick it at home. On stage or at rehearsal it really shines with the amph turned up.

I hope you enjoy thefret.net.

sunvalleylaw
April 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Welcome Cliff!

Cliff_Adelaide
April 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi and welcome Cliff.:wave:

I have an M13 too. I've been gigging it for the past couple of years and I really like it. Simple to use and set up. I don't worry too much about trying to emulate anybody else's tones with it though. I get a sound in my head and then I tweak it to what I want to hear. It works great for that. It's a keeper for me. It works better at band volumes than at home in a sterile listening environment. It's too easy to nit pick it at home. On stage or at rehearsal it really shines with the amph turned up.

I hope you enjoy thefret.net.

Thanks for the welcome

Yeah I suppose your right there, I am trying to set the tones in my room, But I find it to hard to get the sounds while I am jamming at the proper volume. And some of the sounds I am trying to achieve are very hard to get right as I said the Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are the ones giving me the most of a headache. But I suppose I will get there :)

Cliff_Adelaide
April 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Welcome Cliff!

Cheers for the welcome :)

Glacies
April 18th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Greetings from the other side of the world. Always exciting to get a new member, especially an Aussie!

I've been kind of teaching myself guitar for the last year and a half with a massive amount of help from the guys here. They're pretty good about making me feel like there are no stupid questions :)

Cliff_Adelaide
April 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Greetings from the other side of the world. Always exciting to get a new member, especially an Aussie!

I've been kind of teaching myself guitar for the last year and a half with a massive amount of help from the guys here. They're pretty good about making me feel like there are no stupid questions :)

Thanks for the greeting from where ever you are in the world :)

Glacies
April 18th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the greeting from where ever you are in the world :)

Nowhere too exciting, Virginia in the US via NYC.

Cliff_Adelaide
April 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Nowhere too exciting, Virginia in the US via NYC.

Nowhere exciting hey. Well you should try Australia, The country that is in the never never and to bleeding hot.

FrankenFretter
April 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Welcome aboard!

Robert
April 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome! I use Line 6 HD500, HD300 and M9.

Thanks for joining!

Tig
April 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Nowhere exciting hey. Well you should try Australia, The country that is in the never never and to bleeding hot.

I works nights in the US, supporting our Aussie offices. I think we have an office in Adelaide, but most of the work is Perth.

guitartango
April 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Welcome Cliff

I see you like the Shadows , were you named after their lead singer? :D. Nice to see another Floyd fan.

Katastrophe
April 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Welcome, Cliff! If you get your answer on the M13, stick around and participate in the discussion. The more the merrier!

Cliff_Adelaide
April 18th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Welcome Cliff

I see you like the Shadows , were you named after their lead singer? :D. Nice to see another Floyd fan.

Yes you hit the nail on the head there, Yes I was named after Sir Cliff Richard as my Mum is a big fan, the house is covered in Cliff Richard pictures lol. And I also love the sound of Hank Marvin's guitar playing.

Cliff_Adelaide
April 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Welcome, Cliff! If you get your answer on the M13, stick around and participate in the discussion. The more the merrier!

Thanks for the welcome and I will stick around :) I am regretting selling my Line 6 PODX3 Live to buy the M13, I just cant seem to get the sounds I am wanting, were as I had them all dialed in on the POD X3 Live :(

Katastrophe
April 18th, 2012, 05:51 PM
You'll find what you're looking for... Couple of members have M13s, if memory serves.

The Grand Vizier
April 19th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Hey Cliff, I live up in Qld with the Cane Toads mate.
I don't know a thing about M13s I am sorry to say, I am keen on a HD500 when I save up enough of my hard earned though.
I use a few of this guys Pink Floyd patch's in Gearbox with some tweaks to suit.
http://www.dueymoore.com/pod_hd_and_xt_patches.html
Can you download patch's to the M13?

Cliff_Adelaide
April 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Hey Cliff, I live up in Qld with the Cane Toads mate.
I don't know a thing about M13s I am sorry to say, I am keen on a HD500 when I save up enough of my hard earned though.
I use a few of this guys Pink Floyd patch's in Gearbox with some tweaks to suit.
http://www.dueymoore.com/pod_hd_and_xt_patches.html
Can you download patch's to the M13?

Hello Queensland :) No cant download tones with the M13. Also tried some of my setting from my POD X3 Live and the settings are totally different. I am a bit annoyed. I have finally got a few Floyd tones and The Shadows. But for the hell of me can not find the Vai and Satriani sound. :(

guitartango
April 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Yes you hit the nail on the head there, Yes I was named after Sir Cliff Richard as my Mum is a big fan, the house is covered in Cliff Richard pictures lol. And I also love the sound of Hank Marvin's guitar playing.

Yep the mother in law also loves Cliff, and you are right Hank has a unique tone and not many can get close to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf8uVBuK7kk&feature=related

Cliff_Adelaide
April 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the Video but I have got all the DVDs lol, Also have seen them live every time they have toured here. Last time was 10th Feb 2010. loved it. But yeah Hanks sound is hard to get totally right. But I am close lol.