April 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/19/showbiz/obit-levon-helm/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCw3-YTffo

Robert
April 19th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sad. Another great one gone.

helliott
April 19th, 2012, 03:17 PM
This one cuts deep. The Band is sort of a lost treasure, in my view. They influenced so many people so much, but their pioneering work has been overlooked to a point. Levon's incredible vocals and his laid back pocket style of drumming was magic. If you haven't read the story of The Band, you can get this very compelling tale in a book called Across The Great Divide. If you read it, I think you will agree that at least from a North American perspective, these guys had influence on the scale of the Beatles. Debatable of course, but I'd stake that claim. I saw Levon several times, and he was a gifted, yet unpretentious, soul. This one really hurts, at least for me. Spud made a good point in another thread -- get ready, we're going to lose a lot more of the greats in the next few years.

R_of_G
April 19th, 2012, 04:57 PM
This one cuts deep. The Band is sort of a lost treasure, in my view. They influenced so many people so much, but their pioneering work has been overlooked to a point. Levon's incredible vocals and his laid back pocket style of drumming was magic. If you haven't read the story of The Band, you can get this very compelling tale in a book called Across The Great Divide.

Helm's autobiography This Wheel's On Fire should be mandatory reading for all music fans.

If you read it, I think you will agree that at least from a North American perspective, these guys had influence on the scale of the Beatles. Debatable of course, but I'd stake that claim.

Make that argument and I'll back you 110%. Hell, one of the Beatles himself can provide evidence. Harrison's All Things Must Pass album was, according to George himself, highly influenced by his love of the first two Band albums. I've also read Clapton say that the Band was a huge influence on his decision to join Delaney & Bonnie & Friends. He wanted to play American roots rock.

Levon's passing is heartbreaking to me. I've idolized the man almost as long as I can remember. I'm comfortable enough with myself to admit I cried for several minutes in my office when the news broke that he'd passed.

Duffy
April 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I hope they remember these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi0tC00Luc

guitartango
April 19th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Spud made a good point in another thread -- get ready, we're going to lose a lot more of the greats in the next few years.

I can't see Robin Gibb pulling though, lets pray he does.

markb
April 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
This one cuts deep. The Band is sort of a lost treasure, in my view. They influenced so many people so much, but their pioneering work has been overlooked to a point. Levon's incredible vocals and his laid back pocket style of drumming was magic. If you haven't read the story of The Band, you can get this very compelling tale in a book called Across The Great Divide. If you read it, I think you will agree that at least from a North American perspective, these guys had influence on the scale of the Beatles. Debatable of course, but I'd stake that claim. I saw Levon several times, and he was a gifted, yet unpretentious, soul. This one really hurts, at least for me. Spud made a good point in another thread -- get ready, we're going to lose a lot more of the greats in the next few years.

Also see Griel Marcus' Invisible Republic about the Basement Tapes. The Band explored the great depth of American music(s) in a way that few others have managed.

R_of_G
April 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Also see Griel Marcus' Invisible Republic about the Basement Tapes. The Band explored the great depth of American music(s) in a way that few others have managed.

Clinton Heylin's Dylan biography is also a wealth of information on the Band and their longtime interaction with Dylan.