PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite Band/Helm Deep Cut

kidsmoke
April 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
as referenced in another thread...we've lost a giant. As mentioned there, as well, this one cuts deep. Something about this unassuming superstar never stopped being being welcoming and unassuming. Unbelievably, I met him March 16, 4 weeks ago. He played back to back shows on the 16-17th at my school. Benefit concerts for the school. Rocked hard for 2 hours each night, never laid off for a measure, sang his heart out on Ophelia the first night. Total barnburning shows. I knew he'd FOUGHT cancer, and it looked like it, a bag o' bones. But I marveled at his energy, joy, and tone of his voice. Never realizing that it was an ongoing battle, and that he'd be gone a mere 4 weeks later. I feel privileged and humbled. Hard to justify whining about ANYTHING after witnessing that.

I started this thread on another forum and it's become an awesome repository for thoughts and anecdotes. Thought I'd do the same here. Many may not realize Helm released two fantastic albums in the last 5 years, both winning grammys. He wasn't mailing it in. not in the least.

so, We've got a very broad range of music lovers here. Regarding age, types, and skill. I'm wondering if you'd share what 'hidden gem" you think should be better celebrated as we consider Levon's impact, and his catalog.

We've all heard:
the Wieght
don't do it
Night they drove old dixie down
ophelia
up on cripple creek

Even for those that don't particularly care for this brand of folk rock, those are all iconic songs. What are some lesser known ones that you really love (if you really love(d) this mans music) ?

the reason I'm asking is I was just invited to perform at a Helm Tribute concert,(not sure what they're thinking, but I'll take it!!), on the same stage I'm sharing, where he performed March 16-17, among his last performances ever. I'm able to request a song to perform and then put together the arrangement. I'd like to dig a little deeper, and I'm wondering what tunes might really speak to some of yous guys. i've got a buddy who will do the brunt of the playing/arranging for it, and I thought, as seasoned guitarists, there may be a tune I hadn't considered bouncing around in your heads since the news surfaced yesterday of his condition.

my leading candidate at the moment....

http://youtu.be/ZqbTPVvZ5pA

phone pic from the show on the 16th. Donald Fagen is on the B3 on the left, Fred Tacket and Paul Barrere accompany Larry Campbell and Amy Helm (beautiful singer/woman) and Levon is in the lower right. One of two kits on the stage. We needed 38 XLR's to accomodate the Ramble.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/5fc2c3f3.jpg

R_of_G
April 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
There's no video of it, but I have a recording of a show from 1983 that's Levon and Rick Danko playing as an acoustic duo in a small club in Oregon. Levon mostly plays mandolin while Danko plays guitar (which he says during the show Levon had to teach him to do in the days prior to the show). There are some beautiful stripped down versions of Band songs on there, the highlight being a lovely take on "Ophelia."

kidsmoke
April 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
....and no doubt Danko sounded better 'n I do with all my efforts. He was a killer bassist and knew his way around the fretboard.

Surprised there aren't more recollections of the man's music. I love Ophelia, but I was thinking of trying to get something a little less well known. Allows for interpretation.