PDA

View Full Version : Retired - I think

Justaguyin_nc
December 10th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Well, On Dec 7th.. also known for Pearl Harbor... I walked into work... looked around.. wondered why in the heck am I still here.. Put in for all my vacation time , walked out and come Feb. 1, 2007 will be officially retired... Strange though, I know I earned it.. I know they paid in for it the last 29 years.. I know I could have walked out at 25 years.. lasted 4 longer than needed.. but the feeling of joy has not really set in yet... more like an empty feeling.. happy, glad.. yet something is already missing... The Girlfriend still needs about 3 years to go... I kinda feel guilty there... even though she has shown nothing but happiness that I am retiring.. strange huh... anyone else had that feeling? Did I have to go? nope... thought/think I just wanted to... maybe to play and learn to play guitars more..lol.. sure hope I don't get bored to death.. or disappointed! I can see me now cleaning house while making dinner and watching grandbabies.. lol

wait that aint a bad thing... is it?

Spudman
December 10th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I tried retiring at 35 and twas strange at first and lonely. Everyone I wanted to have fun with was always at work. Then I got used to it and enjoyed having the whole world at my disposal. No long lines, no waiting, instant gratification. I traveled, worked out, skied, cycled, recorded, wrote songs, played music. It was a blast!

Needing some social interaction I finally went to college the same year that I went to my 20th High school reunion. Then I decided that I needed to pay for school and now I'm no longer retired. Enjoy your retirement while you can. The alternative isn't as much fun.

Justaguyin_nc
December 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM
At 35? you lucky doggg you.. Ya sure your back into real work now? :) many kids for me knew to never think about it back than... just was waiting for the day I could.. hmmmm... comes up pretty quick... still young..might get some years on me before the alternative

Tim
December 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Hey Justaguy - I am right behind you. I plan on retiring on March 31, 2007. I gave Uncle Sam 36 years of my life. Plan on moving back north. Yep you all heard right. I am moving away from Florida. Looking at Pittsburgh for my fianl resting place, but I have been asked to send a resume to a consulting firm in Dayton Ohio. I guess I will just have to wait and see what the wind blows.

Since you had that instant mind altering enlightement, I think you made the right choice. Good luck on your retirement. Sounds to me that you will be doing some self-enhanced guitar studying in the near future. That is my goal.

oldguy
December 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Justa, I'm quite a ways behind ya on the retirement thing. I do get some downtime every winter tho. That's when I get my "laid back" time, drink coffee, fix breakfast, lounge around, play guitar, go visit folks, whatever.
That empty feeling will go away. The last job I had, they just came in one day and told 250 of us "we're shutting the doors".:eek: :( Man, that was an empty feeling. But it passes...and you can always be as busy as you want to be, like Spuds said, the world will be at your disposal...enjoy it...you've earned it.;)
Congratulations on a job well done. And when you can, get some more of yer playin' up here. BTW, I just got to see my only grandbaby, little girl, two weeks ago, she's 10 mo's.old. And you're right, that ain't a bad thing.:DR
Glenn

Robert
December 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Retiring? Wow, I wish! I'd play like crazy if I retired!

Tone2TheBone
December 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Justa....congrats man. I can retire from my job in 9 years. I might try and do some consulting work or something. Or go to work for a building contractor designing custom homes on the CAD. Anything but a Walmart greeter. ;) Raising grandchildren actually sounds really nice.

Katastrophe
December 10th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Good on 'ya for retiring, Justa... Take some time to enjoy just having some leisure time. You've earned it. My Dad retired about 12 years ago, in his mid 50s. He loves it, and stays about twice as active as he did when he had the J-O-B. The only difference is, he does what he wants to do, on his own schedule, as opposed to doing what he had to do, on somebody else's. My stepdad retired a couple of years ago. He couldn't stand it, so he went out and got a part time job. He set his own hours as a condition of going to work.

All that said, I hope we hear some more of your recordings, my friend!:D

sunvalleylaw
December 10th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Retiring? Wow, I wish! I'd play like crazy if I retired!

Yeah, I would do that, get serious about a couple of my sports, and teach/coach, so I guess just semi-retire. (Quit the active law practice thing, maybe just teach a law class to kids or adults at the local community college) The kids are still young though and many miles lie ahead though. I am sure you will find something to pursue, with an eye for passion, and not paycheck! :D

SixStringJoe
December 11th, 2006, 01:08 AM
It's strange but I just thought about it this morning. Was wondering how good it'd be retiring early and then doing all the things you loved doing. Playing all day, riding a cruiser bike. Wow, you're lucky and I guess you're feeling good about it too. I'll probably retire in about 10 years (that'd make me 54) or possibly earlier if I win a lottery :)

Justaguyin_nc
December 11th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks all.. I plan on enjoying it day by day...anyway I can... even if its just here on the computer in dirty sweats....lol

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Congrats.. I wonder if GC takes pension checks? ;)