PDA

View Full Version : Whats your personal opinion on Electric and Acoustic STRINGS?

L-Blue
April 22nd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Tell me!
I have tried almost every string pack the market has to offer.

The ones i came up with sounded the best, was GHS Pure nickel Rollerwounds

And for acoustic Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20..

Which strings do you use, and most important.. Why??

Cheers, :thumbsup

FrankenFretter
April 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm an Ernie Ball man. Regular Slinkys for most of mine, Super Slinkys for my Schecter. For acoustic, I've mostly been using Martin strings.

Oh, and I use Webstrings for both electric and acoustic as well. I've had no complaints about those strings, they seem to work just fine.

markb
April 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
My personal opinion is that guitars sound better with strings :D

Seriously, it's currently D'Addario XL110s for electrics and Martin SP phosphor bronze lights on the acoustics. I've been using D'Addarios for years but I've recently come to like the Martins.
Once upon a time I used different gauges on different guitars but over time it got tedious what with never having the right set when needed and also sharing one gig bag for whatever guitar was FOTM I just settled on 10-46 as a good compromise for everything electric.

Hi, BTW! :D

Mac Morganfield
April 23rd, 2012, 02:30 AM
I have DR Pure Blues Pure Nickel 0.11's on both my Electrics and most of my past electrics. I find they give me what i want, both sound and feel.

deeaa
April 23rd, 2012, 03:31 AM
I haven't really found there to be any really significant changes between the string brands. Some are maybe a bit brighter, some a bit noisier, but I really don't care enough. I don't notice any real difference when amplified. For acoustic, I just pick some phosphorous bronze ones, and for electric whatever they have. Since I buy bundles of single strings rather than packs, often there may be strings from up to three different manufacturers on my guitar at any given time. I mean, they may have single strings by D'Addario as a rule, but are out of their 11's so I'll buy some other brand elevens, and perhaps even a third brand .50's or whatever.

There seem to be minute differences in feel, but again not enough to bother. I used D'Addarios pretty much only before, but when I tried a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys I did think they felt more 'slinky' indeed for bending. Less stiff.

I think most of my strings right now are GHS but am not sure.

Eric
April 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'll just sit and listen to what other people have to say. For me, I'm happy if the strings are roughly the right gauge and don't go out of tune immediately, so brand isn't something I've noticed a lot in my time.

Commodore 64
April 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
I use 10s, 46 36 26 17 13 10, don't care what brand. I tend to buy stainless steel Ernie Balls because they are fairly cheap and last a long time.

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm not that picky for either really. I get the size that I want, and have used a number of different brands.

Bookkeeper's Son
April 23rd, 2012, 02:03 PM
Like Paul McCartney said, "long shiny ones".

Tig
April 23rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
I like shiny objects. :drool

I try various strings, some coated, from different manufacturers just to hear them, but most of the time I stick with the $2.99 a set 10-46 strings from http://www.webstrings.com/. They sound great and last a long time.
I use their 10-46 phosphor bronze strings for the acoustic.

I used a $10 coupon for some new Ernie Ball Colbalt electrics, but haven't put them on anything yet...

RobQ
April 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
I really like John Pearse acoustic strings.

Have used EB electrics for about 25 years.

sixstringdrug
April 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Electric: Ernie ball slinky 10's on my fender scaled guitars and 11's on my gibson scaled. Acoustic: Elixir 13's on everything

I have tried so many brands and these just feel and sound right to me.

Katastrophe
April 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
I've tried all different kinds of strings... I was hooked on Dean Markeley Blue Steels for years, and then my local GAS station ran out one day and I picked up a pack of D'addario 9.5s. They sounded great, and lasted a long time. I've used different gauges over the years, and am now using just regular old XL 9s on my Strat. Over 15 or so years playing with D'addarios, and I have yet to break a string.

For some reason, though I like Super Slinkys, they react with my hand sweat and rust incredibly quickly. The Fender strings that came on my Strat lasted a long time, and sounded good, too. I had to use some Carvin brand strings in a pinch once, and they were pretty good.

Axepilot
May 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
I've played D'Addario 10s for decades on my electrics.

I like the Martin SP's for my acoustics.