PDA

View Full Version : Looking to trade

M29
December 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Hello,

I am looking to trade my Jay Turser JT200D Les Paul copy for some sort of semi hollowbody. Maybe a Jay Turser or SX or ... What I wanted to know was do you guys know of somewhere that I might have good success in a trade like this? I have not been able to find any Jay Turser forums but I have found some on the SX and Agile.

Thank you for your help.

M29

Spudman
December 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Go to Harmony Central and create a user name for yourself and then list your trade in the classifieds. Whatever you do don't put your email address in the body of your ad. You'll get spam like you've never seen.

tot_Ou_tard
December 16th, 2006, 06:54 AM
M29, I've never heard of Jay Turser guitars. I just did a little google search & they sound interesting. What are your opinions of them?

marnold
December 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I've seen a number of shops around here carrying Jay Turser guitars now. I've never picked one up and played, so I can't comment on their quality or lack thereof. Seemed like your standard inexpensive, import Strat/Tele knockoffs.

M29
December 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Hello,

I think the Jay Turser guitars are pretty good. I was surprized to find Alpha pots in my JT 200D LP copy. ALpha aren't the best but are better then most and sounded good on this guitar. They were mini pots though. I had an issue with a buzz that drove me crazy when I first got it. I tried my darndest to find it and after thinking it was the truss rod buzzing in the channel I found out it was a tuning key. The tuning key shaft was sloppy in the bushing and buzzed. If you put finger pressure on one side of the shaft the buzz would go away. This was only on the B or G string. I bought a set of Gibson/Grover tuning keys from a local shop that were take offs. It sounded like the new guitar it should have been. I did email the seller which was from Pennsylvania I think and he said he would send a tuning key but never did.
I did not like the nut and replaced that with a Tusk nut for an Epiphone LP.
There were some finish issues here and there but the gloss was nice (but thick) and the deep cherry burst was what sold me when I saw it on the web. I think the gold hardware was chrome with a gold paint on it but actually looked very good. It held up pretty good but was wearing off most of the edges which was chrome underneath.
I loved the neck and I got the action set very low. This thing screamed on my Vox ad50vt in the Numetal mode with the gain backed off a bit, the sustain was awesome, I don't know if the pickups were alinco or not probably not but they were quiet and sounded pretty good.
I imagine the body was agathis as it was advertised as mahogany with flammed maple top but it did not look like it through the candy transparent finish. It did sound good though and it was pretty darn heavy for agathis.
The binding was nice on the body, fretboard and headstock although it did have some small bad spots along the way. I just sold it on ebay. I had second thoughts during the auction and just about took it off the auction before it sold. I want to build my own LP copy now and am motivated now it is gone.
I think I would buy another Turser and thought about a semi hollow body but I would have to see it and play it before I bought another which is that way with most inexpensive guitars. I have been eyeing up the SX and Agile guitars though. From what I have seen I might put them ahead of a Jay Turser if I ever consider getting another guitar. The reason I sold it is that I am getting too many guitars around here and I want to get started on my Warmoth Jassmaster and start planning a LP build with a neck through.

Here is a pic of the Jay Turser I had.

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/jt1.jpg

I hope this helps some.

M29