PDA

View Full Version : Junior Seau Takes Own Life at 43

R_of_G
May 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
By now I'm guessing most of the NFL fans here have heard the news that former NFL great Junior Seau was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound today.

Putting aside the larger context of Seau being another former player to take his own life and what part head injuries may have played in that, it's tremendously sad that a 43 year old father of three took that path. I feel for his family and those who were close to him.

For myself, I can only say that I enjoyed watching him play more than most other athletes I've watched in my life. It never seemed to matter the significance of the game or the time of the game or the score on the board, Seau played every single down at the same speed, full.

R.I.P. Junior. Thanks for the memories.

FrankenFretter
May 3rd, 2012, 05:53 AM
He was a joy to watch. RIP Junior.

Katastrophe
May 3rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
One of my favorite players to watch. Sad story. RIP, Junior.

kidsmoke
May 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
I had not heard! Been working, head down, at my desk. Holy Crap. Sometimes you hear these things, and while tragic and sad, they don't seem that far a departure from what you knew of the man (Duerson comes to mind) .....NOT the case here. At least not for me. This man never struck me as one struggling with demons. What a shame. Tragic for his family. Prayers for those close to him.

piebaldpython
May 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
What a shame......great player. Weird how that is and what makes someone do that......somebody's a STAR in some sport.....and then they "retire" and maybe are just something less than a STAR in their new line of work (see Jon Gruden; pathetic ESPN football know-it-all announcer). And maybe they just can't handle all that. I know he was arrested last year for domestic abuse IIRC.

Loved watching him play. Clean hitter too.

R_of_G
May 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
I know he was arrested last year for domestic abuse IIRC.

Reading/watching about it yesterday, it seems that he was questioned by police about alleged domestic violence but no charges were filed against him.

If I'm not mistaken, it was around the time of that incident that Seau drove his car over an embankment and plunged 100 ft. When people questioned him about it, worried that he was suicidal, he vehemently denied it, claiming he'd fallen asleep at the wheel. I suppose now it calls more into question whether that was also an attempt to end his life.

Either way, it's very sad that someone who had so much going for him felt, for whatever reason, that he could no longer handle life. I suppose for someone as outwardly strong as Junior Seau, it's that much harder to cry for help when you need it.

Katastrophe
May 5th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Kind of expanding on what piebaldpython wrote:

He had years of stellar playing in the NFL, with agents and people around who would cater to every need. He had adoring fans, and people would search him out for his autograph. There were folks spending money on merchandise with his name on it. Then, one day, he retires. The injuries, once a badge of honor to play through, now just plain hurt. Folks and opportunities don't come around as much. The name is no longer in the spotlight... the whole domestic abuse situation, driving the car over a cliff...

Hindsight is always 20/20...