PDA

View Full Version : design assistance requested

kidsmoke
May 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I'll be posting a NGD post sometime soon, but in the meantime I'd like some input. Being the least pretentious, broadest minded guitar consumers I know of, ya'll appreciate, and look at, a TON of different guitars. Maybe you can envision something I cannot.

I picked up a tele. pretty straightforward. Wisconsin builder named Steve Benford. It's a very orangey tobacco burst, what some may call a sunset burst.

His only departure from the norm is the headstock shape and the pickguard shape (and the all black hardware). I'd like to replace the pickguard. Does anyone have a creative suggestion, aside from the standard 3 ply black?

take a look

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo1-3.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo2-1.jpg

Katastrophe
May 5th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Nope... I would leave it like it is. Here's why: 1. You could go with a standard Tele pickguard, but it would cover up more of that beautiful finish... 2. The black guard coordinates well with the black hardware and black burst ring. 3. Having a custom guard made to replace that one would be a pain, IMO.

Congrats, man! That is one sexy lookin' Tele.

tjcurtin1
May 5th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I do think that it looks odd that the horn on the pickguard doesn't match the body horn... but it is a beautiful looking tele!

FrankenFretter
May 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I'd go with a black pickguard routed for a P90 or humbucker, unless you're dead set on keeping it true to the vintage style. Just my humble opinion.

syo
May 5th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hmmm....
I appreciate his desire to be different, but I have to say, that from a design perspective, that horn is (IMHO) a confusing choice.
It's otherwise a very handsome looking Tele! Congratulations!

Coincidentally, I just started designing some Tele pickguards. The first designs will be on the standard Tele patern and will be in silver leaf on a black guard. Just did a test last night and the effect is quite stunning. Not sure how it would look on a burst however.

deeaa
May 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I also like it very much as it is, but for a change a white guard would give it a totally different feel. Any other color though, naah, all black HW and all, I'd keep it simple. With the burst it'll get gimmicky real fast.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yEScmegXn2k/T6X_l0B2x7I/AAAAAAAAFCc/v-tYweYk_qY/s512/photo1-3.jpg

kidsmoke
May 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Nope... I would leave it like it is. Here's why: 1. You could go with a standard Tele pickguard, but it would cover up more of that beautiful finish... 2. The black guard coordinates well with the black hardware and black burst ring. 3. Having a custom guard made to replace that one would be a pain, IMO.

Congrats, man! That is one sexy lookin' Tele.

Thanks Kat. I agree it's a decent finish, but continuing the to the horn only covers other black....

I'd go with a black pickguard routed for a P90 or humbucker, unless you're dead set on keeping it true to the vintage style. Just my humble opinion.

I'm intriqued on the tele/special idea, but I've never had a single coil guilar, and I'm enjoying finding out what the old standby tele can do. It's got Bill Lawrence L200 pickups in it. they seem pretty nice. (although SYO's with the bareknuckles still haunts me)

Hmmm....
I appreciate his desire to be different, but I have to say, that from a design perspective, that horn is (IMHO) a confusing choice.
It's otherwise a very handsome looking Tele! Congratulations!

Coincidentally, I just started designing some Tele pickguards. The first designs will be on the standard Tele patern and will be in silver leaf on a black guard. Just did a test last night and the effect is quite stunning. Not sure how it would look on a burst however.

Yep, my thoughts exaclty....if you decide you want to test a design SYO, send one along, I'll be your guinea pig!

I also like it very much as it is, but for a change a white guard would give it a totally different feel. Any other color though, naah, all black HW and all, I'd keep it simple. With the burst it'll get gimmicky real fast.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yEScmegXn2k/T6X_l0B2x7I/AAAAAAAAFCc/v-tYweYk_qY/s512/photo1-3.jpg

didn't have to go to so much trouble! But I do appreciate it!

I did see one design that looked kinda cool. It was tooled black leather! I thought that may keep the scheme, and add just a bit of flair. 100.00 bucks though was a bit steep.

Thanks for the feedback!