PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a pedal board

Radioboy950
May 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hey guys.
I find myself using more pedals these days, so I'm putting together a little Pedaltrain Jr. with a Voodoo Labs power supply and a Bullet Cable Slug Connector Kit.
I intend to run a few of these effects through the amp's loop. That's means I'll have a long instrument cable to the amp input...and two more cables to the loop's send/return, correct?
Do you just bundle them up with tape (or velcro), so you have one long run to the amp?
Just wondering how you keep things tidy.

**One more question about clean boost.
I'm looking at the Xotic EP Booster or an MXR Micro Amp to use as a pure clean boost to bump up volume during solos, etc. Would this work best in the loop?

Thanks

Robert
May 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM
It can be a pain to run effects in both the loop and in front of the amp, if you want ALL your effects on the floor. Lots of extra cable is no fun... I just don't find it's worth the trouble.

I usually just set up a good delay or reverb in the amp's loop, then all the other effects in front of the amp. That way, I just leave the effect unit on top of my amp, and I use short cables. The drawback is of course I can't change the reverb/delay in the amp's effects loop on the fly, like with a pedal.

Some people use midi-controllers for switching between effects on a multi-effect unit in the amp's effects loop. Again, more cable to run to the floor.

Booster - make it go in front of the amp. I would recommend use only modulation and time-based effects in the amp's effects loop.

Spudman
May 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.pedalsnake.com/ is a way to keep it all pretty tidy.

Experiment with where you put your boost. It may react exactly they way you want in either position. You won't know the outcome until you try. I didn't use a clean boost in the loop, but I've heard it, or an eq pedal, does work fine in the loop. I put mine at the end of my pedal chain instead.

Miller77
May 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I personaly dont think there is anyway to run a tidy effect board. There is just to much going on to keep it all clean and out of the way. In my personal use, I built a board using a old suitcase and some scrap wood. It functions perfectly but Im finding it to be a bit on the bulky side. Plus I have the fun on a 10 month old wanting to show Dad when to use what pedal and the "perfect" sound to come out of each pedal. I tried giving him a old pedal but it just didnt help.

markb
May 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I personaly dont think there is anyway to run a tidy effect board...

There is if you're a TGP obsessive ;)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=942728

Miller77
May 18th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Those are clean boards, however alot of those pic's(granted from the first few pages). The board isnt live, might have power but doesnt looked to be hooked up to a amp. When you start running cables to your amp I feel thats when you have the tendecy to make a mess. Especially if you use longer cables.

Photomike666
May 20th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Silly question, but could you use a radio transmitter/receiver from pedal board to amp?

deeaa
May 21st, 2012, 02:39 AM
you could use transmitters but you'd need 3 channels if loop is used...unreliable or at least bloody expensive at best, with pro gear that actually works none of that 200 dollar belt pack stuff...spend a few grand to get a truly good system.

I have gone the MIDI way many times and back to pedals and again MIDI...it is easiest by far to have MIDI. only two leads to your amph, actually you can buy ready made midi/audio combos for just one lead, and the same single pedal can control both fx and the amp...even wah etc.

But if you need your fave pedals also in front....well there are loads of solutions and no perfect ones. an endless quest...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Radioboy950
May 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
I just leave the effect unit on top of my amp, and I use short cables.

This is what I've settled on for the time being. It's been fine, since a tiny bit of delay is always "on", so I don't fuss with it.
And for the few times when I have to change the delay settings, it's really not that much of a hassle.
Delay just sounds SO much better to me in the amph's loop...clean and pure.

Oh, as for the boost. The Xotic EP Booster is sweet. Internal DIP switches let you choose the boost frequencies and EQ setting, however I found the default settings to be perfect with my setup. It sits on the board, last in the chain. Couldn't be happier.

Radioboy950
May 21st, 2012, 06:30 AM

I'm all for neat & tidy...but that's just OCD :D
Better be a pretty good tap dancer too, with some of those rigs.

cebreez
May 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Oh, as for the boost. The Xotic EP Booster is sweet. Internal DIP switches let you choose the boost frequencies and EQ setting, however I found the default settings to be perfect with my setup. It sits on the board, last in the chain. Couldn't be happier.

I built the "ThunderPuss" with a pcb from madbean pedals. Cheap, easy, and the best and cleanest "no nonsense" boost I've ever found. It lies between my distortion and my overdrive... boost one and overdrive the other.

deeaa
May 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM
For clean boost, I really dig the EMG PA-2 onboard preamp.

Ch0jin
May 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
I use a SHO boost in front of the amp for sparkly clean boost, or the clean side of a King of Tone for slightly dirtier clean boost.

I use the clean boost built into my tremolo pedal (second last in the chain in the FX loop, the last pedal being a looper) to boost overall volume for a solo. I have bits for around 4 different clean boosts including the thunderpuss that one day I'll assemble and use, instead of relying on the tremolo boost. (especially as I'm seriously considering retiring my excellent tremolo for the Strymon Flint.)

cebreez
June 18th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I built the "Double Flush" tremolo from madbean pedals just a few months ago and I've already pulled it from my board. Way too intense for what I need. Don't know if it's something I did wrong in the build or if its just that intense(ie: too much clock noise) , and it pops loud when engaged. So will probably scrap it and build a different tremolo. Maybe an EA....

Ch0jin
June 18th, 2012, 05:12 PM
The EA is great cebreez. You can get a bit of an idea what they sound like from my very brief demo here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHxhvLQ7js&list=UUt7arxJF0VUw25rqm5Topiw&index=10&feature=plcp)

That one was built from the General Guitar Gadgets kit which is an "improved" version of the EAT. My recommendation if you go down the EAT route is to keep the depth control circuit stock and omit the "clean boost" switch. The original design (which is what I've changed mine to) allows zero modulation when the depth is set to minimum, so you don't actually need any kind of "clean boost" switch. If you really want to use it as a boost, just turn the depth all the way to the left and away you go.

Also, you can mod it so the LED pulses in time with the LFO and it DOESN'T make it "tick" like so many flashing LED mods.

I'd offer to sell you mine, but with shipping it probably wouldn't be worth it.

cebreez
July 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks Ch0jin, I got my EAT board in today from GuitarPcb and I've got to say I was disappointed when it wasnt tinned or silkscreened... for the price they charge it should be. That being said... I tore into the DoubleFlush and found both input and output jacks were bad. A quick change out and some better wiring and the annoying "tick" or in my case "thud" is gone. The switch is still a wee bit loud but the pedal sounds fantastic and has found its way back on my board.

Apologies to RadioBoy950!! Didn't mean to hijack your post. Hows the pedalboard coming? If its anything like mine it changes weekly. Now I'm thinking of adding on as I've been forced to move my volume pedal offboard.

Ch0jin
July 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hey Cebreez, good to hear feedback on the Guitarpcb board. The GGG one I have is both silk screened and tinned. I have many boards from Madbean too which have all been great quality.

Great to hear you got you double flush working though!

cebreez
July 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Been wanting to order some boards from GGG for forever but the ones I want are always out of stock and I don't need the kit. I buy my parts in bulk including the boxes so the parts are costing me way less than they are charging. As far as the Guitarpcb boards what would be the easiest way to tin these puppies? Tinnit? I certainly cant afford a large enough solder pot and a solder bath is out of the question. I know you can do it by hand but I've seen the results and I'm not impressed with the outcome. Im working on some of my own pedal circuit designs and I will probably end up farming the boards out but I will need to be able to tin some prototype boards, thats where the cheap and easy comes in.

Ch0jin
July 12th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I haven't had to tin a PCB for over 20 years I'd say, so I'm not much help on that. There are a bunch of youtube videos covering it though. this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsDN7usyCs) one uses a tinning solution. Seems pretty neat and easy!

cebreez
July 23rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
I ordered some "Tinnit". Should be here shortly. Suppose to be super easy to use.