PDA

View Full Version : Auditioning for friend's band tomorrow

R_of_G
May 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Things with my neighbor’s band have taken an interesting turn. Long story short, one of the guitar players is no longer playing with the band. Having played with them at the party a few weeks back they had my friend ask me if I was interested in learning the rest of their list and playing with them.

Jumping ahead again, the lead guitarist is coming over tomorrow night to play with me and my neighbor (bass). He asked me to pick one song I was 100% comfortable with on rhythm. I oscillated between Stones’ songs “B*tch” and “Sway” until finally choosing the former.

I love both songs, and while I think the latter is a cooler song (and would allow me to play in open G) this is not about picking the cooler song, it’s about the one I play better. Also, I’ve previously taught the bass player how to play the song so I know we play it the same way. I also believe the band’s new singer used to do the song with a previous band of his so it seems a good fit.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes. My anxiety level is pretty high. As I'd mentioned previously, when I played with them at that party, it was the first time I'd ever played in a full band setting. These guys are much better musicians than I am, and I'm comfortable with that, I just need to remind myself that I don't have to be as good as them, I just have to be able to do my part well. However, like Alice, I give myself such good advice but I very seldom follow it.

ps. I think I ran into this issue previously talking about the same song, but I want to go on record again as disliking the way the forum's auto-censor turns the name of that Stone's song into all asterisks unless I use one for the "i." Not really an important item, but something I felt the need to ***** about. ;)

NWBasser
May 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Nail it man!

Playing in a band is whole different experience with its own set of challenges and rewards.

Tig
May 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Break a leg!

Relax, get into the groove of the song, and all will just happen.

R_of_G
May 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Relax, get into the groove of the song, and all will just happen.

That's the main reason I chose "B*tch" because I can instantly switch it on in my head and hear the groove and just jump in.

Spudman
May 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Have a really ******* good time. Music should be *** **** and not stressful Just let your ***** down and go with it and have a ******* good time. You'll do **** ****** ****** *** * ***** great.

Commodore 64
May 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
With any luck you'll find the zone, and you won't even realize you are playing. You'll just hear yourself playing and be, like, "Wow, did I just play that?". That's happened to me I think a grand total of 1x, on one song, but can't wait to chase that dragon again!

We've got a gig on May 26th at a bowling alley. I'm already nervous and behind on my chord charts. Gotta get that stuff memorized. Incidentally, of the six other people in my band, five are far and away more experienced and better players. They said my enthusiasm and joy of playing makes up for my lack of experience and chops. I don't know if that's true or not, but they seem to enjoy me being there and I sure as hell enjoy it too.

R_of_G
May 10th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Have a really ******* good time. Music should be *** **** and not stressful Just let your ***** down and go with it and have a ******* good time. You'll do **** ****** ****** *** * ***** great.

Winner.

I appreciate all the kind words guys, though the situation has changed and for a variety of reasons it's not going to happen. Everyone is happy with the end result. There's just an incompatibility issue musically that made for fun debate conversation when I was a friend of the band hanging out with them but takes on an entirely different perspective as a potential band member. Flexibility is a two way street. Anyway, thanks for all of the encouragement. The entire experience has opened my eyes a bit to where I want to focus my playing time so that's a positive result.

Ch0jin
May 10th, 2012, 11:58 PM
They said my enthusiasm and joy of playing makes up for my lack of experience and chops. I don't know if that's true or not, but they seem to enjoy me being there and I sure as hell enjoy it too.

That describes my deal too :)

R_of_G
May 11th, 2012, 07:30 AM
We've got a gig on May 26th at a bowling alley. I'm already nervous and behind on my chord charts. Gotta get that stuff memorized. Incidentally, of the six other people in my band, five are far and away more experienced and better players. They said my enthusiasm and joy of playing makes up for my lack of experience and chops. I don't know if that's true or not, but they seem to enjoy me being there and I sure as hell enjoy it too.

That sounds like a good situation for you. I think if they truly didn't enjoy playing with you they wouldn't keep asking you back. Good luck with the gig!

Eric
May 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Sorry I missed this, but I would have wished you good luck.

Sounds like things may have worked out for the best anyway. I can relate to the comment about this experience making it clear where you want to focus your time. I hope you can find an outlet in the near future that lets you function optimally.

R_of_G
May 14th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Sorry I missed this, but I would have wished you good luck.

Sounds like things may have worked out for the best anyway. I can relate to the comment about this experience making it clear where you want to focus your time. I hope you can find an outlet in the near future that lets you function optimally.

Thanks Eric. My friend told me that when he told the other guys about my decision they told him to thank me for figuring it out and not wasting their time and mine trying to sort it out after the fact.

Eric
May 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Eric. My friend told me that when he told the other guys about my decision they told him to thank me for figuring it out and not wasting their time and mine trying to sort it out after the fact.
Musical direction aside, it can also be a time-waster when trying to fit your style or skills into a situation that doesn't warrant them. For instance, no matter how much I try, I'm not much of a lead player. Aside from my lack of technique, I just don't have the mentality for it at this point in my guitar journey. I think it can be equally difficult for other skill sets, so it can be tricky to find the right situation where you click in, but I do hope you find something appropriate 'cause it seems like the desire is there.