PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a new Marshall JMD-1 series JMD 102 ano today.

Duffy
May 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have been anticipating buying one of these Marshall 100 watt 2 X 12" combo amps for some time. Today I finally pulled the trigger. Is anyone familiar with these amps? They have a strong following and a good reputation for being reliable amps.

They are designed with a preamp section that a Sweedish company called Soft Tube developed the software for and Marshall applied their amp building expertise in producing the hybrid amp. Similar to the SCXD's it has a pre amp tube in the preamp section that has 16 preamps, all of which model strictly Marshall amps. There is also a host of useful effects with parameter adjustments. The preamps are fed into a powerful power amp section featuring either two EL34's for the fifty watt combo, or four EL34's for the one hundred watt combo. The one hundred watt one has two Eminence speakers. The Youtube demos sound really great and the amps are capable of providing good examples of ultra high gain Marshal amps as well as clean Marshall sounds.

The amp is a four channel amp with four models in each channel. Channel one has four Marshall clean amp models; Channel two has four Marshall crunch amp models; Channel three has four Marshall high gain amp models; and Channel four has four Marshall ultra high gain amps. Supposedly they are also well made Chinese made amps, based on the observations of knowledgeable guys that had looked inside them.

They are definitely cool looking amps, not a cool looking as the awesome English built units, but no slouches in their own right. The amps have a good set of extension speaker jacks, including one for the sixteen ohm cabinets that I have. They have a serial/parallel effects loop with a gain control knob and an xlr out. They come with an included four button foot controller that is programmable , as well.

My Peavey 6505+ combo ultra high gain amp inspired me to get some more high and ultra high gain tones, and I have always wanted a half way decent powerful Marshall amp.

I'm looking forward to getting this amp and it should work really well with my Epi LP Standard amber flame Plus Top that I just put a Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup in.

Have any of you guys had any exposure to the Marshall JMD-1 series of amps. They come in two heads and two combos, 50 and 100 watt units in each format. I wouldn't be surprised if either some of you have one or there is a band member or two that uses one.

Any feedback from those who have been exposed to any of these would be of interest, as I look forward to the hopefully unscathed delivery of my new unit.

Katastrophe
May 11th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Great score, man! I've heard good things about the JMD:1 amps. Welcome to Marshall land!

Now, grab that Epiphone Les Paul of yours, put on some hearing protection, turn it up to "stun," and go about pissing off the neighbors! It's mandatory when you purchase a Marshall, you know. ;)

Monkus
May 12th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Happy NAD !!!!

Duffy
May 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I ordered it Thursday and got it Friday. Checked the packaging - no evidence of thrashing, opened it up and no broken pieces. Heavy as hell, close to 75 pounds probably. One hundred watt two by twelve. It sounds good and I probably already pissed off the neighbors at about midnight last night checking out some of the channels and channel programs.

Playing it some more today it has a range from good clean sounds to deep or bright heavily saturated sounds with effects in the programmed sounds. I will probably get a chance to crank it up today. It definitely has some good crankable sounds, without the need for pedals. So far I haven't used any pedals but can see where i might try my Carbon Copy.

When I get this situated in my amp station I'll take some pictures. It is fairly big but I have a couple good spots for it in the amp station I built that will hold four big amps and has a desk incorporated for my laptop, etc. It's easy to pull any one amp out at any time, without a lot of f#ing around.

Katastrophe
May 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Outstanding, Duffy! Post a pic of that bad boy when you can.