PDA

View Full Version : I graduate from college today!

Katastrophe
May 11th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Today, it's official... I am a college graduate. I went through a dual program, earning an Associate of Arts degree (kind of like the community college, 2 year version of a liberal arts degree), along with a certificate in Computer Information Technology.

With these two slips of paper, I can go out and get a better job, or transfer the whole kit and kaboodle to a four year school for a bachelor's degree (not all classes would transfer otherwise).

It's been a lot of work, but hopefully this will pay off in the long run.

Woo Hoo!

Spudman
May 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment....

at your age.:rollover

Good job.

R_of_G
May 11th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Good for you Kat!

Hope the job market is kind to you.

Tig
May 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Congratulations, Kat! :lecture
We tend to be better students after we've made a few extra laps around the Sun.

Glacies
May 11th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Awesome man! Congrats! I'mma hoist one for you tonight!

NWBasser
May 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM
'Bout time man!:poke

Congrats and I hope many new doors open for you.

markb
May 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Yay, Kat!!!

piebaldpython
May 11th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Congrats.....good show.

Katastrophe
May 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks, y'all... As an update, I got a call from one of my professors last night. Apparently, our whole group in a project we turned in didn't see the part where the project was in two phases. We neglected to turn in part II of the project.

Luckily, the professor said that we did so well on part one that we could turn in individual assignments to make up the missing work. Whew! The stress level went through the roof for a minute there! My part was submitted, and all is well.

FrankenFretter
May 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Congratulations Kat! Way to go!

Katastrophe
May 13th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks, FF!

Got a 95/100 for my last minute paper that I turned in. Grade tally at the moment is 4 As, and one yet to be posted.

Eric
May 14th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Nice work, Mr. Catasstrophy. I hope you land somewhere fulfilling employment-wise.

Katastrophe
May 14th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks, Eric!

Just for the record, though, there are no trophies even vaguely resembling cat - asses in my possession.

Eric
May 14th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Just for the record, though, there are no trophies even vaguely resembling cat - asses in my possession.
Really? Seems like that would have been an appropriate enough trophy to celebrate the occasion. Maybe a cat tookus.

Duffy
May 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
As new doors open, grab the opportunity. And don't forget that opportunity oftentimes is dressed in coveralls and looks like work. Ha ha.

Best wishes in your future endeavors.

Robert
May 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Katastrophe, how old are you?

Katastrophe
May 14th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Duffy!

Robert, I'm 40.

NWBasser
May 14th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Eric!

:rollover

duhvoodooman
May 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Way to go, Kat!! :applause :thumbsup :beer:

Ch0jin
May 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hey Congrats! I'll have to be more careful in my correspondence now I know it might be read by an Educated Man. :)

Katastrophe
May 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks, DVM and Ch0jin!

LOL, Ch0!

Katastrophe
May 15th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Final grades are in....

ALL As! 4.0 GPA for the semester! WooooHOOOOO!

otaypanky
May 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Congratulations !!!

Tig
May 16th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Final grades are in....

ALL As! 4.0 GPA for the semester! WooooHOOOOO!

:AOK
We make better students as we age. Well, before we age too much, that is!
I thought about going for my RN, but my memory and stamina are already fading.

Katastrophe
May 16th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Tig, you aren't that much older than me... go for it! Right now, community colleges in our area are as cheap as they're ever gonna be, as the state is restricting funding for higher education. BTW, one of my classmates during this was having to go back to school for a new career... at 60. She was doing fine, with a little help from the tutors. I didn't think that I would remember all the stuff that I needed to after 20 years away from school, but you would be surprised at how much actually comes back.

Also, as we get older, our brains need the mental stimulation to keep those synapses firing. A college course is just the ticket for that. Here's an idea... take a trial course, just for fun, like a music course or some subject that's always interested you. See how you like it. I had a blast in the two music courses that I took, and learned some cool stuff to boot.

Tig
May 16th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Sounds great. Not easy to do. I have to maintain an income, though. Many responsibilities, including raising two kids that aren't legally ours.

Full time school for two years would be cool, but not while working nights. Hell, I'm barely functioning right now! Seriously, I used to recover from nights in a day or two, but now, I don't recover at all. :zzz I'm pushing 50, and it's pushing back!

Katastrophe
May 17th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I hear ya, Tig... After just pushing two years on nights, I'm feeling it. Sleeping less during the day, and recovery is taking longer. I'm still able to use Sundays as my recovery day, though. Mrs. Kat has been very supportive of that.

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry I missed this, congrats!

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Brian!

sunvalleylaw
May 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Congrats Kat!!

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks, SVL!