PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the Angus Young SG signature model?

tremoloman
December 20th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I see Angus Young's signature SG model has a whammy bar, yet I've never seen him use one live. Is this a gimmick or has he started using one?

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM
According to some sites I've looked at concerning this Angus used some higher end models of the SG which had the "Lyre Vibrola" tailpiece which is a "whammy bar" system. I guess he just liked the look of the guitar and the bigger pickguard used on that model. Obviously he never used the vibrola sytem though. Cool looking guitar though.

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM
The whammy bar just looks so wrong on a SG if you ask me.

Just for fun, I think I'll edit a photo of Angus playing live and put a Jazzmaster, Strat, or Ibanez in his hands. :)

Iago
December 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
I think the SG looks nice with that whammy bar....I saw a cheap DVD with many bands from the seventies, and the two guys of Badfinger were playing those 61-64 cherry SG's with the vibrolas hehe made me drool!

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Really? Hmmmph... I never see them in the local guitar stores. I'd love to give one a go to see how it feels. I wish Gibsons were more affordable... I guess that's why I'm a Fender Fanatic! (Well, I prefer single coil pickups too). ;)

Iago
December 23rd, 2005, 08:56 AM
I saw a limited edition Epiphone G-400 with the vibrola, looks really nice...I don't think the epi pickups are good at all, but with an upgrade the guitar would smoke.

Here's the link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518079/

I'm a Fender guy too... I barely look to Epi's and Gibsons at stores :D

marnold
December 23rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
I can't imagine that those things would stay in tune worth anything.

Iago
December 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
That's true...I don't know how efficient they are... I've read that the vintage ones ain't that good...but the thing stills nice looking to me :D

Nelskie
December 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Yo Tone - I was browsing through my album collection, and came across Pat Travers' "Putting It Straight" LP. On the cover, Pat is playing a super nice double-cutaway Les Paul Jr. Not sure if your familiar with PT or not, but I'm sure our Canadian forum members would be.

Hey, also - in one of your recent posts (I believe on the thread about acoustic guitar strings), you'd mentioned the Eric Claptions Crossroads Festival DVD. How about giving a short review on it in HYH? I bet there'd be a ton of folks on The Fret.Net (including me) who'd like to hear a bit more about it!! :D

Tone2TheBone
December 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Nelski,

I remember that Album cover from high school. A friend of mine turned me on to Pat Travers and I just loved the back cover of that LP. (after Pat's "audition" from the front of the LP) heh

If you want to hear more about the Crossroads DVD I'll post something about it on HYH for you.

Nelskie
December 25th, 2005, 03:15 PM
That's a sweet little axe he's playin', too, ain't it?!! A LP w/ a pair of Seth Lovers, runnin' through some Marshall stackage. No wonder the dude behind the desk looks a little "frazzed" after the audition!! That would be a crankin' set-up, for sure!

I look forward to your "Crossroads" post in HYH. :) Be sure to make note of your favorite performances, songs, tones, etc. Say, doesn't the Rev make an appearance on that, too?

Justaguyin_nc
February 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd uses a SG with Maestro on Freebird always.. although he is known for a Les Paul he played most early songs on one of these.. that epi is discontinued...

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2006, 01:41 AM
My big Lynyrd favourite is/was allen collins. I have a picture of him and his Firebird, it looks like he has been consuming a lot of substances. He had a real killer sound as well.