PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Strange fluttering sound

Robert
May 14th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have noticed all my amps create a fluttering sound. Like a fast tremolo noise sort of thing.

At first I thought it could be one of my pedals or the pedal power supply, but even plugging straight into the amp, the quick fluttering sound is very apparent. It is also a lot more apparent when the amp is set to use more gain.

It happens with 2 different amps, so I am wondering if it could have something do with the power in the house somehow?

Spudman
May 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Toobs, or you have some interference either from florescent lights or some other device in your home.

tjcurtin1
May 14th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Have you forgotten to take your blood pressure medication?:poke

Robert
May 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Toobs are fine, and so is my medication! :)

I'll see what happens when I play in the dark... I suspect some kind of interference is what's doing this.

Ch0jin
May 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM
"all my amps" - Yeah has to be power related. Either radiated interference from Fluro's, or something down the line from Freezers, AC, Dryers, anything that chews big power. The first question to ask yourself is "What changed in my house between when it worked fine and now".

Robert
May 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Well we haven't been here long and I haven't paid attention that much until recently, because I'm about to start recording.

It's really annoying. I tried turning off all the lights but no difference. I will try a different outlet and see if any different.

I did try disconnecting any and all extension cords that were using the same outlet, but no difference.

Spudman
May 14th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Depending on your home's location, if you are near to a transformer station, you could get inconsistent current. The voltage may dip at times and electronics can do some strange things when that happens.

Zip
May 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Your power conditioner has gone wonky. Replace it with a new one, and all will be joy. I betcha.

Edited, because I thought about it for a few moments: Perhaps in the mythical land of Canada, you're not forced to play out at the same crappy bars we do here in the States, therefore you may not own a power conditioner. In which case, buy one. Any brand is fine, as long as it's a Furman.