PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Lexicon LXP-1

Robert
December 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I'm eBaying a lot lately... last acquisition - an old but classy Lexicon reverb called LXP-1. It's pretty old but of very good quality. Older hardware can nowadays be found for a good price used, especially on eBay. .

I am gonna enjoy my Hellhound with some good reverb now! Plus I can use it for other things like recording and PA reverb if ever needed. Good stuff!

I hope to get it before Christmas since mail is slow these days across border, but we'll see.

Plus it's my birfday so I need to buy myself presents, right? :DR :D

Tone2TheBone
December 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hey Robert let me know how quiet it is when you get it. Choruses and Delays and Reverbs can get hissy but if you're gonna run that puppy into an effects loop you should be good to go. Let me know.

elavd
December 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Robert I am also interested in finding a good reverb.
I hope that you'll be satisfied with the LXP-1.

Please inform as when you get it and post some clips ;)

By the way, how much did you buy it?

Robert
December 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM
$113 I think it was. They used to be many hundreds of dollars 10 years ago.

Hey, I think I bought a vintage reverb unit! I shoulda posted this in the vintage forum :) !

I am intending to use it in the effects loop of my Hellhound.

elavd
December 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
$113 I think it was. They used to be many hundreds of dollars 10 years ago.

G.A.S. strikes again...:D

Spudman
December 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I used one in the house PA system for many years at the #1 apres' ski club in the country. No visiting engineers ever complained about the reverb...ever. You made a good buy with the Lexi. Just don't put your candles on it or you'll burn the house down.

SuperSwede
December 15th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Sweet! Lexicon reverb :)
Is it the version with midi?

Robert
December 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I don't know if it has midi.

SuperSwede
December 15th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Midi on effects units are really useful. You can often control delay times & amount of reverb and so on with a expression or controller pedal. Its also handy to have a midi board if you have several midi capable units, that way you can use your rack gear more efficient when you are on stage, just stomp on the floor controller and change effects/settings on the fly.

Robert
December 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
The Lexicon showed up today! Yay! I am gonna try it out later tonight when I get home. The unit is dirty and stinky... the guy must a been a smoker. As long as it sounds good I don't care, but I will try and clean it with a soft cloth...

Guess what? My Lava cables came too! Yay! And boy, do they ever look like quality! I hope they sound half as good as they look!

This day is better than Christmas for me! I'll report back once I have something to tell.

Robert
December 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Ohh baby, I played with the Lexicon last night! Wow, it's really sweet!

I videotaped myself playing it yesterday so you guys can hear it. I'll try and get it online tonight. It's a very nice reverb, I almost wet myself playing last night.

It's easy to use to, just select the kind of reverb and set the mix and input/output level knobs to preference.

The only issue was scratchy pots. I suspect the unit hasn't been used for a while. I turned the pots back and forth vigorously and it helped. I wonder what kind of pots are in there - probably no mass produced pots I could get from a guitar store, eh? I guess I could also try some sort of spray? VDM, I bet you know this kind of stuff!

elavd
December 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
That's good news Robert !!!
I am anxious to see/hear your clip.

Did you connect it using your amp's effects loop?

Tim
December 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The only issue was scratchy pots. I suspect the unit hasn't been used for a while. I turned the pots back and forth vigorously and it helped. I wonder what kind of pots are in there - probably no mass produced pots I could get from a guitar store, eh? I guess I could also try some sort of spray? VDM, I bet you know this kind of stuff!

Yep, a spray should help lubricate them for awhile. The pots will need to be replaced sooner or later.

ted s
December 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I have used an audio/video eq. grade contact cleaner on scratchy pots with success. Won't harm any plastics/finishes or the like.

Robert
December 19th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Yes, I am using it through the effects loop on my Hellhound. The scratchy pot makes a loud pop in the speaker, so I'm afraid it might hurt the speaker.

Where do I get such cleaner, Ted?

Robert
December 19th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Here is a video clip - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-28.php

Let me know what you think!

elavd
December 20th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Robert your an awsome player!!!

I think that you are the person that help the Squier 51 sales increase...

After that video I think that the Lexicon LXP-1 will start getting overpriced on ebay :D

SuperSwede
December 20th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Nice video Robert. You can use a little vinegar and water on a cloth to remove the smell. It actually works.

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Steller as usual Robert.

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Cool Beans dude! What types of reverb were you using on the video - by name? How many types are available? You can adjust effects return and mix output on this ya? A little bit of reverb adds nice ambience to your sound and accentuates your playing style. Very cool man good score.

oldguy
December 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Robert, if you have a radio shack nearby, you can buy "non-flammable Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant". I use it often and it works.First, unplug the AC cord, then just remove the knobs, attach the plastic straw that comes with it, spray it back into the shafts so it get into the pots, and turn them back and forth several times so it gets worked down into the pots. Wipe off any excess from the unit. Put the knobs back on and you're good to go. Let it dry five minutes or so before plugging the unit back in.
Glenn

Justaguyin_nc
December 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Warm and funky side of Robert... nice sound...

Robert
December 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys, glad you like it. I think it's a very nice reverb. It has all the different kinds of reverbs I'd ever need, Hall, Room, Plate, etc.

elavd
December 20th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Which type of reverb did you like best?

Robert
December 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Good question, elavd. I like them all! I haven't settled on one type yet, I just got it yesterday and I am still in the honeymoon/testing phase.... I doubt there's any risk for early divorce! :)

oldguy
December 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Some really nice sounds and playing, Robert. I must seek out one of these units before others see your video and the price goes up!:D
I especially liked some of the chord voicings you used. :p
Glenn

elavd
January 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I just won on ebay a Lexicon LXP-1 too...

:D:D:D

I am sure that it will fit perfectly with my Fender Pro Jr amp :D

Robert
January 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Congrats! It's a great reverb, man.

elavd
January 21st, 2007, 06:00 AM
Congrats! It's a great reverb, man.

Thanks!

Robert by the way, how much did you buy yours??

I bought mine for 104€ (~$135) but without a power adapter which costs 29€ (~$37)

Robert
January 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
$113, but one of my guitar students found one for $75 on eBay!

elavd
February 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I got my LXP-1 form ebay!
I played a little with this baby and I fell in live with its sounds!!!

I will try to record something maybe later ;)

Robert
February 15th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Congrats! It's a fantastic reverb unit. Anyone thinking about a reverb pedal - if you have an effects loop in your amp - forget about the pedal completely and get this instead. It's a no-brainer.