PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet

Robert
May 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Slanted cabinet -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-1960a-4x12-angled-cabinet

Any thoughts on this cabinet for rock and blues?

There is one used locally for $400, seems like a good price if the cab is good.

Katastrophe
May 16th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I once, years ago, owned the non-angled version of that Marshall cabinet. There's nothing like the feel of hitting a power chord and feeling that thump in your chest. With your Marshall head, it would be absolutely killer for rock and blues.

The downside? They weigh a lot, and are bulky. One person can do it, but it's much easier to move them around with two people. I never rolled mine on the casters outside, only to move the cab around in my practice area.

Robert
May 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Yeah it would be fun for recording huge tones with my marshall jvm. Price seems right too.

guitartango
May 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thoughts Robert ? Don't think about it, go and buy it :dance

Spudman
May 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
For recording you don't need a large cabinet. You'll only be micing one speaker anyway so no advantage there. But for just sheer playing enjoyment, you'll have a hard time going back to a smaller cabinet once you've spent time with the 4x12. On the other hand, you'll have an easy time switching to a smaller cabinet after you've run out of vehicles big enough to haul everything, and the discs in your back have gone out, and your knuckles are scraped bloody from banging doorways.

Make sure it still has the stock speakers in it. Some people have been known to put crap in them and then resell it.

deeaa
May 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
That'll deliver the true Marshall tone for sure. Just about the only thing that could be a problem is those T75's especially four of them, require quite a lot of power to 'open up'. The JVM can surely deliver the power but you might notice the cab really sounds it best when played LOUD and if you want similar sounds at lower levels, lower wattage speakers work better. I've used those Marshall cabs plenty of times and I like 'em but that's what I've noticed. Many a time we've cranked one up crazy loud in another room and it sounds superb played outside that room while it's so loud no living thing can withstand the noise near the cab...but they don't sound that superb when played at ear-pleasing levels.

But at 400...not a bad price. I'd buy it, sell the speakers for ~$90 a piece and load it up with 25W greenbacks for my use. Been considering doing just that actually some day when I see a matching cab for my head on sale somewhere.

Robert
May 20th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Exactly my thoughts too deeaa!