PDA

View Full Version : String size for my Hagstrom Viking?

Hampus
May 18th, 2012, 07:16 AM
I know it's got a lot to do with personal preference but... Still interested in opinions.

To tell the truth, with my break from playing, I think it's been probably at least 10 years since I last bought strings for an electric. I want to try the Ernie Ball cobalts on the Viking but can't decide on sizes. Today I use the original strings that the guitar first came with when new. I have no idea what they are. My only objection to them is that the low E and A strings are a bit too muddy for my taste. So, any thoughts on the subject?

/Hampus

piebaldpython
May 18th, 2012, 09:03 AM
That's a very dangerous question.......asking if any of us have "any thoughts on a subject". lol

OK......I'll venture an idea that I haven't seen here. Some companies sell certain sets called "Light Tops, Heavy Bottoms". For me, I'd like to see the opposite.."Heavy Tops, Light Bottoms". The idea works perfectly for gals and gits. Seriously, I like the Top end around starting around 10/11 and the Bottom ending around 46. I guess it all depends on how strong your hands/fingers/wrists are and how much string bending (and how far do you bend) you do. For Albert King type bends, you need Light. I'm a Slider, so I like some heft on the top.

Hampus
May 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
That's a very dangerous question.......asking if any of us have "any thoughts on a subject". lol

OK......I'll venture an idea that I haven't seen here. Some companies sell certain sets called "Light Tops, Heavy Bottoms". For me, I'd like to see the opposite.."Heavy Tops, Light Bottoms". The idea works perfectly for gals and gits. Seriously, I like the Top end around starting around 10/11 and the Bottom ending around 46. I guess it all depends on how strong your hands/fingers/wrists are and how much string bending (and how far do you bend) you do. For Albert King type bends, you need Light. I'm a Slider, so I like some heft on the top.

Yes! I like living dangerously :socool

Those are my thoughts too. Itried finding a set like that, but unless I buy a pack of heavies and a pack of lights and combine them myself it won't happen. I'm leaning towards the Erni Ball slinky Cobalt 009-042. They'll be 009/011/016/024W/032W/042W.

markb
May 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Here's a UK dealer selling EB Cobalts in hybrid sets. Expensive, ain't they?

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/electric_guitar/ernie_ball/cobalt_slinkys

sunvalleylaw
May 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have always used 10s.

mapka
May 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I have the "light 10" or some such name set from Webstrings on my Hagstrom Swede. It has the Tremar tremolo bridge on it and they work great.

deeaa
May 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's Gibby scale, right? Then the strings can be a touch heavier than on Fender scale axes. 10's seem to be a norm, but I mix single strings and create a set of 009 to 52 on most axes.
I have one axe with 11 to 52 though for recording sturdy chordings etc. and been thinking of going regular ten for the gibby scales of late.

Duffy
May 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM
One idea would be to take it to a good music store that has a guitar tech and have him use calipers to measure which string set is on it now, stock; then put the same strings size back on to avoid making a truss rod adjustment.

Another idea might be to have the tech determine what size strings are on it now and then make your own decision as to going heavier or lighter or even hybrid.

Katastrophe
May 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I've never owned a 24.75" guitar, but as a general rule, I start with D'Addario 9s on all my guitars. If that feels too wimpy, I'll move up to 10s. I've used 8s before... but always seem to break that hair thin high E string. But, hey, 8s work for Billy Gibbons on his Les Paul.

For you, a set of hybrid slinkys might do the trick. A bit beefier on the lower strings, but standard gauges for the higher ones.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/4979/cobalt-hybrid-slinky

Duffy
May 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I forgot to mention that the way those two strings sound flat isn't because of the string size, most likely. It is probably just due to the strings being old and having had lost their "zing" some indeterminate time ago. That is a typical indication that it's past the time to have had changed your strings. I bet a new set of the same guage would brighten it right up.

Yeah, on that scale guitar, like a Les Paul, manufacturers and players often start out with size 10 string sets, and you can go from there. The shorter scale makes it easier to bend the size 10 strings. Size 10s would be harder to bend on a strat than on a Les Paul scale, even though both guitars have size 10 strings on them. I suppose that is why people put 10s on Les Paul type guitars and 9s on strat scaled guitars, to make bending ease relatively the same.

Hampus
May 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'll go for 10's, or hybrids. Off to the music store on Friday!

/Hampus