PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a "Beater" Acoustic?

GuitarDave
May 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hi all. I wondered if anyone could recommend a halfway decent "beater" acoustic? I have a Seagull that I *love*, but it's too nice a guitar to take to the beach or to bring out around the campfire. I'd love to get a cheap (sub $200?) acoustic that I could take anywhere without worrying too much about it.

I understand that at the price range I'm looking at, I can't expect it to sound like a Gibson or a Martin - but I'm wondering if it's possible to get a reasonable sounding and playing acoustic in that price range?

Browsing MF, here are some that look like they could possibly fit the bill:

* Washburn WMJ 10S Mini Jumbo
* Epiphone Limited Edition EJ-200 Artist
* Fender CP-100 Parlor

Thoughts? Other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Bookkeeper's Son
May 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Being that you like your Seagull, how about an Art & Lutherie? My dread cost me $250 brand new. Better that your average beater.

omegadot
May 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Partial to takamine for a beater but that's me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Katastrophe
May 20th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Yamaha makes some great inexpensive acoustics, as does Washburn. Ovation makes the Applause line. Takamine has the Jasmine line as well. Any one of these will work for a beater acoustic.

Duffy
May 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Fender makes an accoustic called a Kingman. It has a strat type headstock and is a very great sounding guitar. It was originally promoted as a beach party type guitar. They even have an Elvis Presley model Kingman. The Kingmans I have played have really great tone. There are cheaper models with the strat headstock called the Malibu and Sonoran, which are both promoted as campfire guitars. These are cheaper and smaller in body volume than the Kingman.

I definitely like the Kingman and have noticed some serious professionals, such as Adele's guitarist, playing Fender accoustics. I'm not sure how you find one of the more expensive Fender accoustics. The most expensive one I have seen in stores is the Kingman.

Keeping it less expensive and still getting that campfire/beach designed guitar, the Malibu or Sonoran might be interesting to check out.

Some of the Ibanez accoustics I've played also are highly impressive and reasonable in price. Yamaha also makes some great sounding accoustics spread over a wide price range.

One thing I noticed is that with accoustics you have to play them until you find one that sounds really great. I discovered the Kingman that way, it sounded really great after playing a lot of accoustics. I haven't bought one yet but I would definitely like to. It had a great resonance and bass response with a real full tone and nice high frequencies; all nicely balanced. This guitar I would not consider a beater though. The Malibu or Sonoran could possibly be used as beaters, by me, without worrying too much about it. I wouldn't want to beat up a Kingman, but it is probably a strong guitar.

I hope these ideas give you some useful information.

GuitarDave
June 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just a quick follow-up. I went with the Washburn WMJ 10S Mini Jumbo, and I couldn't be happier. I ordered it from Musician's Friend, along with the Washburn hard-shell case. It looks great, feels great, sounds great. No, it's not a Gibson or a Martin - but for the price, I think it's fantastic, and it's a guitar I won't be afraid to take anywhere with me. Speaking of which, I've already taken it with me a few places, including a camping/hiking trip with a group of old and dear friends, and having a guitar with me was fantastic.