PDA

View Full Version : Looper Pedal/Importing External files

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Doods,

Anyone tried plugging in a CD player or MP3 player into their unit yet? I tried it with 2 different 1/8" mini stereo cables and it didn't work. :confused: The manual for the RC-2 says to use a cable that doesn't have resistors........mmm ok. What do you mean doesn't have resistors! I didn't know some cables HAD resistors!

Maybe I should try a mono to mono cable instead? Or ask about a "resistorless" cable? Anyone have any luck doing this on theirs?

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Tone - I am with you on the resister-less cable. I have not tried the CD/MP3 upload, but will try tonight. I remember something about making sure the MODE knob is on the right setting (auto, circle/triangle, note). I can not recall exactly which one it said.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Tim,

The manual says to put the mode knob on Auto. The pedal is supposed to receive a signal from the input of the mini cable and will automatically start recording when it senses a signal coming in. I tried this and it never started recording. The playback from the iPod was real weak....you could barely hear anything which is why the reasoning behind the cable with resistors makes sense. In the troubleshooting part of the manual it does mention a low audible audio signal being the culprit for a cable with resistors. Hmmmmm

I think I'll email Boss directly.

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Did you try to turn up the volume on the iPod? This will give you a stronger signal to the Looper.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Did you try to turn up the volume on the iPod? This will give you a stronger signal to the Looper.

Yup tried that. Also turned up the guide volume too and signal was barely audible. You can't email Boss directly to ask them something grrrrrr. I'll have to call. I'm not a phone person.

warren0728
December 14th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Yup tried that. Also turned up the guide volume too and signal was barely audible. You can't email Boss directly to ask them something grrrrrr. I'll have to call. I'm not a phone person.
you might have better luck trying to find boss forums or ask your question on thegearpage.net....bet someone there knows

ww

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
you might have better luck trying to find boss forums or ask your question on thegearpage.net....bet someone there knows

ww

Good idea Warren I'll try that. Thanks!

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Tone - Well my computer speakers have a headphone jack. I think I might try that method first. I know that the signal from the amplified speakers will be strong enough to set off the "auto" function on the looper. Hopefully Windows Media Player will play the MP3 correctly to trigger the RC-2.

Where you try to load a drum loop or backing track?

When you find the Boss forum, let meknow where it is.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Tim - I loaded the files I sent you from the CD onto my iPod and tried importing them that way. The signal was too weak. I just wondered if any of you RC-2 users had done this yet. In theory it's supposed to work. I'll look for the forums a little bit this afternoon.

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Tone - I found the cure to the problem. I was experiencing the same difficulty as you no matter what I tried to import. All you need to do is remove the flipping guitar cable from the RC-2 input jack. You get instant importing of loops and backing tracks. I did not see this in the manual at all. Hidden treasures I guess?

CAUTUION: Watch your volume. It does get loud with it going through the lopper and the amp.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Tone - I found the cure to the problem. I was experiencing the same difficulty as you no matter what I tried to import. All you need to do is remove the flipping guitar cable from the RC-2 input jack. You get instant importing of loops and backing tracks. I did not see this in the manual at all. Hidden treasures I guess?

CAUTUION: Watch your volume. It does get loud with it going through the lopper and the amp.

REALLY? Yeah that is a hidden treasure of information there buddy. There is no mention of that in the manual I don't think. YOU RULE! Thanks Tim I'll try it again this evening!

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
OK Tone - Let me know how it comes out. For sure it will be as advertised!

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
OK Tone - Let me know how it comes out. For sure it will be as advertised!

So did you use the CD I sent you? Did it record? Say yes. :)

Tim
December 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Ah … Ah … Ah … Ah … Ah … Ah … Ah … Ah … Ah … YES it work just fine !!!! Did I wait long enough??? Where you biting you nails???

Now I have to figure out how to use the CD. There’s a lot of stuff on there. I am not a major in Drumolgy so I do not know of the terms and names of the loops.

Tone2TheBone
December 14th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I would use the loops from the folder Smart Loops with Power Snare. There are a variety of loops in there that range from disco beats to regular straight rock beats to triplets. The power snare references a slight reverb on the snare hits. Theres another folder that contains the same loops, just without the reverb on the snare. Reverb on the snare is cool.

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
So there Toneman? How did the importing go with the looper? Since you did not post anything I imagine you most likely looped yourself way into the late hours of the night.

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Actually Tim I was helping my daughter with her homework and didn't even get to mess with it. And today I'll be a shoppin' so....we'll see if I can get the chance to try it tonight sometime.

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Good luck with the shopping. I took off from work early today. For the first time in 29 years I have my shopping for my wife done a week before Christmas. Normally I am scurrying around on December 23 looking at the leftovers. I am compensation her for letting me buy the looper. I call it future strategy.

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Good luck with the shopping. I took off from work early today. For the first time in 29 years I have my shopping for my wife done a week before Christmas. Normally I am scurrying around on December 23 looking at the leftovers. I am compensation her for letting me buy the looper. I call it future strategy.

I too am finally finished shopping for my wife. I usually am out there last minute also. It's funny because after getting the looper from her and the kids I guess subconsciously I wanted to get her gifts right away too. haha

I'm getting antsy now because everyday I come here and people are getting early Christmas presents of nice guitars. I need to buy something!

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yep I agree. Personally I think GAS is going to hit the Fret Net with a major epidemic in a few days. There will be no mercy and no antidote, or short-term recovery. We must help each other through these times of necessity and passion. We only have each other to rely on. No one else understands our needs.

Look at poor SuperSwede. GAS has already hit with devastation. We all need GAS counseling to make it through the holidays and sales that will be thrown in our faces. Dang man, I’m getting depressed!!!

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I just wanna buy something. Even if it's not a guitar. I'm thinking of tuner pedals at the moment.....

warren0728
December 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
i'm ordering a set of jj tubes for the classic 20 for my kids to give me....

ww

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I am not even going there Warren. Just make sure you don't make them pancakes on Christmas morning!

sunvalleylaw
December 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I too am finally finished shopping for my wife. I usually am out there last minute also. It's funny because after getting the looper from her and the kids I guess subconsciously I wanted to get her gifts right away too. haha

I'm getting antsy now because everyday I come here and people are getting early Christmas presents of nice guitars. I need to buy something!

Go get the 60th Strat, go buy the Strat, go buy the Strat. (just kidding, stick to your discipline unless you are really right with the purchase). :)

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Go get the 60th Strat, go buy the Strat, go buy the Strat. (just kidding, stick to your discipline unless you are really right with the purchase). :)

I'll bide my time. I am a rock.

Sometimes. :)

warren0728
December 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I am not even going there Warren. Just make sure you don't make them pancakes on Christmas morning!
hey the kids love my pancakes...and they have heard the story and thought it was hilarious....they asked me if they could tell their friends :eek: of course i said no!!

I am told the jj tubes will really make a difference in the classic 20...gonna order a matched set from eurotubes!

I would also like another maple necked guitar but i'm gonna wait till i find the perfect one for me....i have been looking at reverand guitars...they seem pretty cool.

I also want a new (to me) apple powerbook....a looper pedal....and....and....and....

i KNEW i SHOULD have been a good boy this year....oh well....there's always next year!! :D

ww

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 12:26 PM
hey the kids love my pancakes...and they have heard the story and thought it was hilarious....they asked me if they could tell their friends :eek: of course i said no!!

ww

And you really think they listened. I would not be surprise if it were not already in the Orlando newspaper.

Breaking News Flash!!

Strange Fret Net guitar player seen through window serving pancakes in the nude. Neighbors fear the neighborhood is turning into a nudist colony.

warren0728
December 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
i wondered what that crowd of soccer moms have been doing hanging out on the sidewalk in front of my house!! ;)

ww

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
i wondered what that crowd of soccer moms have been doing hanging out on the sidewalk in front of my house!! ;)

ww

Crowd of soccer moms. LMAO

Alright I had to buy a slightly used Boss TU-2 tuner pedal. Got a pretty good deal on it. 50% off. Never having a tuner pedal I have to say it's really neat. Spud I finally broke down and bought a Boss PSA 120T. Now I just need that daisy chain setup you showed me. I got one from the store but it's not all linked like the one you told me about so that goes back.

Tim- guess what...I still haven't tried the importing yet. I will though as soon as this DVD is over. :)

SuperSwede
December 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Tone, so why not buy a maple neck strat eh? T I N T E D M A P L E...mmmm maple.

Tone2TheBone
December 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Tone, so why not buy a maple neck strat eh? T I N T E D M A P L E...mmmm maple.

Dude I've love to have T I N T E D M A P L E all over the place but I need to finish (or start) my studio room. Come help me. :)

warren0728
December 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
i would love to come help you....wish i had the time. I had a blast doing our music room!

ww

SuperSwede
December 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Tone, I know that your studio will be as awesome as your Les Paul Studio! Pick up that hammer and start building asap!

Tone2TheBone
December 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks Swede. After the holidays and ground freeze I gotta start digging the footings.

Warren - Man I wish you could help me plan the room decor! Imagine the empty beer bottles we'd collect all over the place while we consulted!

Tim
December 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I came across this site which has different patterns of acoustic and electric guitar loops to use with different loop pedals. Click on the three guitars on the right under "Guitar Loops"

http://www.guitarnotes.com/links/rgoto.cgi?query=9514&sort=guitar&title=Guitar+Loop+Samples&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.desktopmetronome.com%2F&rank=2.0&rnum=0

I have one question about migrating one of these guitar loops and importing it into a RC-2 with the built-in guide drum loops. Do you set the guide drum loop first and then import the guitar loop, or do you import the guitar loop then set the guide drum loop? I believe there is a benefit to do one first, but I am not sure which is the best practice.

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hey Tim,

The manual says to put the mode knob on Auto. The pedal is supposed to receive a signal from the input of the mini cable and will automatically start recording when it senses a signal coming in. I tried this and it never started recording. The playback from the iPod was real weak....you could barely hear anything which is why the reasoning behind the cable with resistors makes sense. In the troubleshooting part of the manual it does mention a low audible audio signal being the culprit for a cable with resistors. Hmmmmm

I think I'll email Boss directly.

Tim: Thanks for the link. I will try it for my RC20XL. As to the above, I had the same problem trying to import an Oldguy BT I had on my iPod. Volume way low, etc. The fix on the RC20XL was to switch the mode button input to "normal" rather than lighting up the instrument and mic light. Then it did not matter whether my guitar cable was plugged in or not. Imported just fine, then I saved it. I think I used auto start, but I know on another track, I just it the record button on the pedal and play button on the iPod at the same time. Pretty amazing what you can do! Now I can jam along virtually with a guy in Canada in the privacy of my own home. :D :) :DR

P.S. did you ever get your guide drum loop question answered or figure it out? I would like to know how to handle that too.

Tone2TheBone
March 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
......I've yet to try importing loops from my iPod. It's been since when...my birfday? I also haven't tested out whatever it was tOt wanted me to test out.....

I did manage to record about 5 loops though with drums bass and rhythm guitar right after I got it. Of course I haven't done any more than that since then though....

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
The iPod thing works great!! I tend to download here, load onto the iPod via iTunes, bring it home, and there you go. The home computer has no space for screaming solos from amphs on its hard drive. The iPod solves that for me. Now, I might like to trade my aging iPod for your talent on drums, bass and rhythm guitar if you are interested!

MPsound
March 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I was traveling and missed all the fun here... Good reminder on the guitar input jack. I have not tried this yet, but I remember reading this in the manual, just took a look and it is on page 22:

"NOTE
Be sure to connect the CD or digital audio player to the
AUX IN jack. If anything is connected to the INPUT
jack, no signals from AUX IN will be recorded.
With the factory settings, the RC-2 applies compensation
to the AUX IN signal so that it sounds appropriate
when played through a typical guitar amp.
When sound that's been recorded from a CD, digital audio
player, or similar source is played through a guitar
amp, the midrange and high-frequency range of the
sound tend to be emphasized.
If you wish to record the AUX IN signal without the
compensation applied, you can defeat it using the following
procedure."

MPsound
March 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
To e-mail Boss you can go to rolandus.com, click on support, then "Roland backstage". You need to sign up with a username/pw, then you can use their e-mail support. I think you can get there from bossus.com "Boss backstage" as well.

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I was traveling and missed all the fun here... Good reminder on the guitar input jack. I have not tried this yet, but I remember reading this in the manual, just took a look and it is on page 22:

"NOTE
procedure."

On the RC20XL, you can select from 3 settings to choose that compensation or not. One is normal, then center cancel, then amp simulation. Interesting!

Tim
March 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM

"NOTE
procedure."

Yep, that is the one thing you must remember to do to import files or backing tracks to the RC-2. REMEMBER to remove the input jack. I still have not mastered the timing to end the recording of a backing track.

sunvalleylaw
March 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hey Tim, did you ever get your guide drum loop question answered or figure it out? I would like to know how to handle that too.

Tim
March 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
No I have not figured out which is the way to import a track via the drum loop guide. I was waiting for a more experienced looper to answer the question. Actually I had forgotten the question until you brought it up a few threads back.