PDA

View Full Version : slide ditty in open E

helliott
May 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Here's a bit in E tuning, Tele through a Vox Tonelab. Backer will be posted tonight or tomorrow. Comments always welcome.

https://www.box.com/s/9b37c3293cf653d581ef

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
I've been trying to explain to my neighbor that he's using the term "bar band" incorrectly and have been looking for something to play him to illustrate what I mean. Enter your track. That was awesome helliott! Seriously, I loved that. Great tone, fun riffing. That was killer. Thanks for posting!

helliott
May 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for listening R_of_G. It's fun to make 'em and also nice when people enjoy them. Hope to hear your own take on it when I post the backer. Take care.

riverrick
May 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Excellent!!!

helliott
May 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for listening Riverrick

tjcurtin1
May 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Helliot - nice greasy rockin' tune! Fun to listen to - I think that it needs to be worked up into something with lyrics...

helliott
May 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
tj curtin, thanks. If I could write a lyric worth a crap, I'd do it. Which is funny since I write for a living. But lyrics, I can't do a decent job. How about you take a shot when I send the backer?

piebaldpython
May 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Nice, fun slide romp through the changes. Hey, not the easiest BT to play off of either. Tough beat.

guitartango
May 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM
Really nice sound, another one i have downloaded to listen in the car on the way too work.

thanks

helliott
May 23rd, 2012, 06:17 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, piebaldpython and guitartango. Yeah, it is a little more slippery than many blues
BTs, but it was a little more fun to try for that reason.

guitarhack
May 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, definitely nails a late night bar sound. I can imagine a lot of dirty dancing to that. Nice work.

helliott
May 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Coments appreciated guitarhack. Thanks for listening.

Hampus
May 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I wish I could play like that. Well done!

helliott
May 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for listening Hampus

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know how I missed this... I'll give it a listen after the little one goes to bed.

helliott
May 23rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
The backing track for this is now posted in the appropriate section.

Katastrophe
May 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
What a fun track to listen to! Well done. The others are right. This tune would be right at home in a blues club, with folks out on the floor.

There's only one problem. It was too short! I wanted to hear more.

piebaldpython
May 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
There's only one problem. It was too short! I wanted to hear more.

+1 on that. I listen to it at least once a day....to get a little bounce in my step. Maybe next time, hit your slidin' with a boost pedal, just to punch it a little more into the mix. Great playin....I could never play over that BT without getting myself confused. lol

I got to thinkin'.....always a dangerous thing........and thought that it would friggin' AWESOME to play slide behind some Motown tunes. Like the Pointer Sisters "Neutron Dance" for example. lol Some day.

Blaze
May 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Cool Helliott ! That sounds realy good , nice playin & tone .. E tuning is fun to play , i think this is Derek Trucks s main tuning.. :applause:applause

helliott
May 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for taking time to listen and feed back. Katastrophe, I did wonder briefly about extending it, but I'm always aware of overstaying my welcome in what is basically extended soloing. But it is good to know it doesn't drag.

Piebaldpython, when I first started mixing it down, the slide was too hot and was burying the little piano riffs which I think are so cool in the BT. So I brought the whole thing down a bit -- maybe too much. Probably should have brought down only the parts covering up the piano. I also find it depends on speakers etc -- my studio monitors sound one way and computer speakers sound another in terms of various EQ levels.

And Blaze, thank you too. Yup, this is DT's main tuning. Only thing is I still get messed up a bit when I switch back and forth live. It leads to some interest outside playing in the song right after the switch, for sure. Saw DT, Susan with their band and was blown away yet again by how creative and non-traditional he can be. I love Landreth, and Haynes, but I think DT is the best these days.

Algonquin
May 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Sounds great Howie!
Glad to hear your rocking vibe on here again... hoping to hear more or this in the near future.
And hoping more Fretters pick it up and run with the backer you posted!

C'mon Fretters... run with it!

Thank Howie!
David

helliott
May 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks, David. And I second that emotion -- love to hear some other Fretters pick up that BT and do their own take. It's a fun one to work with.