PDA

View Full Version : And now... a rant (ISP content)

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Stupid cable company restrictions...

Just got a block put on my Internet account because they say we've gone over our usage limit for the month.

Talked to the customer service rep, and was forwarded to the tech dept. We're all good now, but now he can't lift the block, and had to escalate to higher up in the IT dept. I'm gonna have to wait about 4 hours for my service to be restored, if not longer. I'm also gonna have to figure out how to reduce my Internet usage. Crap.

GAK! ARRRRGGGH!

I'd change ISPs, but this company is the only one allowed in my apartment complex. Tried satellite, and they don't have service where I live, so they bundle with, you guessed it, the same cable company. AT&T, you say? Nope, not allowed on the property.

Lack of choices sucks some times.

Robert
May 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Downloading too many HD movies? :D

guitartango
May 22nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Internet usage soon mounts up, "youtube",email and Windows updates all add up and can put you over the limit within a couple of weeks. We have three Win7 machines at home and a couple of nix machines, that's over 3gb of updates !

Spudman
May 22nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
My old ISP was raising their price again and I asked if they had a better deal for me. Sure enough, less money...but wait, I only would be allowed a limited amount of data to travel. I'd be over the limit in a day and they would be making 3 times what they were charging me if I did this "cost saving" plan. So I dropped them and went DSL with my land line phone provider. It's a little faster and cheaper.

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Downloading too many HD movies? :D

Probably. Netflix is our only source of entertainment.

Got it all sorted out now. It took a call to India, as the ISP tech support guy said it was a problem with my router. For a change, the person there was thorough, polite, well spoken, and knowledgeable. That wasn't the issue, however.

The problem was with the ISP notification page that my browser defaulted to. I finally narrowed down the problem, and called the ISP tech support again. Problem solved.

The monthly allowance for my service ain't all that much. Of course, I could purchase more, but at a cost of over $100 a month, at 50 Mbps. No thanks, I can't afford that. It looks like I'm gonna have to look into DSL, if that's allowed at my apartment.