PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out

Glacies
May 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM
So my grandparents are having a 70th wedding anniversary next weekend. It's going to be a big event, they have a restaurant all set up and my uncle is going to be leading a band there.

My uncle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvOWqfgz7jc

I found out that he's bringing a second guitar set for me. I basically told them I wasn't going to play, that I'm not very good, only play with friends etc. They said they're bringing it anyway which basically means I'm playing.

Freaking the hell out. it's like 2 weeks away and I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack over it.

I mean it might not be so bad if it was going to be music I'm familiar with but somehow "Highway to Hell" doesn't seem like an appropriate song to play for my 90 year old grandparent's 70th wedding anniversary.

*dry heaves*

I think Johnny B. Goode is going to be one of the songs that they are playing, but I need to ask about the rest.

If you're a professional group that's going to let some punk like me play with you, I'm going to be doing background rhythm, right? I mean I can hit any major, minor, 7th and 9th just about anywhere on the neck, say it's the key of A and it's an A, Bm, G song and I can figure out the rhythm. Turn my guitar volume down and look like I know what I'm doing, right?

*dry heaves*

Tig
May 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
70th anniversary... Wow! :thumbsup

Yep, uncle is goooood! I'd stick with your plan "Turn my guitar volume down and look like I know what I'm doing, right?" and just fill in some support.

R_of_G
May 25th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Well, your uncle and his band are awesome. That said, if he wants you to play with him he doesn't care about your skill set. He just wants to play with family at a family gathering. I think you'll do just fine.

Also, Happy Anniversary to your grandparents! 70 years together is fantastic.

warren0728
May 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM
man i'm glad i don't have to play with him! did this help....

Brian Krashpad
May 26th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Just have fun!

That's all I've ever done!

You'll be fine, it's family.

Glacies
May 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM
man i'm glad i don't have to play with him! did this help....

:rollover

NO!

Just kidding, I was telling my wife what RofG said and it made sense and totally changed my perspective of the situation. Now I'm kind of looking forward to it. 80% looking forward to it, 20% nervous +/-50%

Glacies
June 4th, 2012, 07:24 AM
What a blast!

I messed up the guitar part pretty badly, but nobody noticed.

So I only played one song, Johnny B. Goode, and I did the rhythm while my uncle took the lead. Pretty easy song, just 12 Bar in G... I was so nervous that I was squeezing the neck so hard, by the middle of the song I couldn't reach the frets properly. I limped through the rest of the song but I was upset with myself.

Then everyone went nuts about the song and it made it all better. Nobody knew I screwed up but me and probably my uncle.

The deal was my late father had 3 brothers and they wanted to do a big song with all of the men of the family. Music was very central to my father's side and everyone seems to have an incredible musical talent. So I joined with guitar while the other 2 brothers sang.

My 90 year old grandmother and 92 year old grandfather got up and danced to it like crazy! Then afterwards seemed so happy I was involved... it was so worth it.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/glacies_photos/SAM_0290.jpg

poodlesrule
June 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
When is next gig...?!??!

Glacies
June 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
lol - i totally chilled out about it afterwards, but while I was up there I was a bundle of nerves. I have never played in front of anyone before so that was definitely a learning experience.

Commodore 64
June 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Totally awesome man. GOod job.

We had our first public gig over Memorial Day Weekend. I screwed up so many times I lost count. First gig jitters are the real deal.

stingx
June 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM
This put a smile on my face. 70 years together is an amazing feat. You did good and believe me you would have been more pissed at yourself looking back if you didn't do it and missed seeing the joy on your grandparent's faces.