PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Narnia

Myles
December 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Despite refusing to read the Narnia books when I was younger, the amazing previews sold me on it, so last night I went and saw the movie.

For those of you that haven't seen it, do so now. Just stop reading this post and go see it. Absolutely unreal cinematography. I was watching the whole time expecting some lame CGI graphics and it never came.

Some people might complain that it isn't true to the book. (I don't know, didn't read it as said before) Or they might say that the character development was a little lacking, but the music, costumes and special effects were so well done that everyone should enjoy it.

The only real concern is that the theatre will likely have a number of small children in it that will get scared and could possible cry, but that's really all part of the Disney Experience.

Anyway for those that have seen it. Discuss. For those that haven't. Did you even read this? Go see it. Seriously.

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM
My oldest daughter is a book worm. She's read everything. Every movie that has ever come out in popular culture based on some adaptation of a novel or short stories...she's read. We're going to go see the Chronicles of Narnia tomorrow. Can't wait. I think it would be an interesting job to have of being a cinematographer of some kind, especially on epic movies such as this. When I watch a film I notice camera angles and lighting. How a scene is cropped. Is the camera moving or stationary. Whats happening in the background. Blah blah blah. If I worked on movie sets or did all the CGI for visually inspiring movies I'd be psyched!

Iago
December 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
I'm planning to see it...I started reading the "Wardrobe" when a friend of mine told me they were doing the movie. Narnia isn't popular here at all, but it might lift off after the movie, like "The Lord of The Rings".

Katastrophe
December 22nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Excellent movie... I read the whole series as a kid. The actors did a remarkable job of capturing the personalities from the book, and the plot is great, with a well written screenplay.

Go see it!:D

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Saw Chronicles of Narnia last night at home on the widescreen. It's even better at home! *2 thumbs way up*

Spudman
April 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I read all the books...many times. Seeing the movie was very moving for me to say the least. I don't mind saying that at more than a few key moments I had severe emotional upwellings that resulted in soggy popcorn (no not like the soggy that results from seeing Warren making pancakes). What a powerful movie! I was a kid again.

tot_Ou_tard
April 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I've never read these & I haven't seen the movie yet. But I'll do both. My older son is a computer animator & he his college roomate worked on that film.

Myles
April 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM
My older son is a computer animator & he his college roomate worked on that film.
Wow, that's pretty amazing. Do you know what particular parts your son helped design?

Also I must admit I haven't read the books either. I started reading the dragonlance novels fairly early and so the chronicles just felt like a little kids book compared to real knights, mages, and dragons.

Perhaps it is time I read the book though. The book is almost always better than the movie and it definitely was a great movie. I'll have to buy the widescreen version too!

tot_Ou_tard
April 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Wow, that's pretty amazing. Do you know what particular parts your son helped design?

Also I must admit I haven't read the books either. I started reading the dragonlance novels fairly early and so the chronicles just felt like a little kids book compared to real knights, mages, and dragons.

Perhaps it is time I read the book though. The book is almost always better than the movie and it definitely was a great movie. I'll have to buy the widescreen version too!
Ooops, I think there might've been a typo. I meant his college roommate worked on the film. He was a rigger. That's someone who builds the underlying skeleton of the 3-d character that gives it its basic shape & movement capabilities.

tot_Ou_tard
April 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
A good fantasy read is the "His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman.

The three novels are;

The Golden Compass

The Subtle Knife

The Amber Spyglass

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
A good fantasy read is the "His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman.

The three novels are;

The Golden Compass

The Subtle Knife

The Amber Spyglass

Appropriate for 9 year olds? Mine is a huge reader (as I was). He is closing in on finishing his second Potter book, has read all the Narnias, and Dave Barry's "Pan" series, for reference for how much violence I am comfortable with him reading. He has not done Tolkien yet.

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Appropriate for 9 year olds? Mine is a huge reader (as I was). He is closing in on finishing his second Potter book, has read all the Narnias, and Dave Barry's "Pan" series, for reference for how much violence I am comfortable with him reading. He has not done Tolkien yet.

Well, that's up to you. I'd say no problem, but that also depends on if you are uncomfortable with heresy. The last book leans heavily in that direction.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'll check it out myself. Thanks.

warren0728
January 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
we have narnia on dvd....funny thing...after i read this thread today my daughter asked if it we could watch it....eerie.....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'll check it out myself. Thanks.

That's what I'd suggest. Read them yourself & see what you think.

This trilogy is *much* more imaginative than the Potter books, which I liked. The heresy aspect is creative and not dark despite the title & might only bother Catholics, but out of respect for other's beliefs I suggest that parents read them first.

By the way, the first book is a lot of fun, it just gets deeper as the books move toward book 3.

Spudman
January 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Something in a similar vein...Piers Anthony, The Magic Of Xanth series. These had me extremely captivated well into my late teens.

Thematically these hold true in our modern world. The author cleverly shows the similarities and differences between belief (magic) and reality (science). They are wonderfully done and keep your mind active well after reading. It also has the effect of keeping the inner child believing in magic and possibilities outside of the obvious mundane. Similar to Chronicles for me.

http://www.piers-anthony.com/xanth.html