PDA

View Full Version : Squier Standard pickups for Tele project?

Sada Yairi
May 30th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Still doing the research before I launch a Tele-build project, and I'm looking at pickups now. The Squier Standard pickups (both neck and bridge) are incredibly cheap ($20 total) - anyone have any experience with them? Are they good enough for a 1st-time Tele build? I know they can always be changed later, but if spending $30 or $40 would get me something that I'd be satisfied with for a few years rather than $20 for something that I'll want to change in 5 minutes, maybe that would be a better way to go. I'll be using the guitar just for playing around, rock, indie etc, mainly rhythym stuff, and I have to keep the cost down (having just spent big on other gear). Are the Squier pickups good enough for 'low-end' playing? The only single coil pickups I have any experience with are Epi p90s so I won't be able to notice any difference between the Squier ones and better Fender ones out of the box I assume.

Katastrophe
May 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM
You'd do better to find some pickups from a Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster... They are Duncan Designed and sound pretty darn good (Seymour Duncan designs, but made overseas - made as an OEM pickup), and may not ever need to be replaced down the line. Nothing bad to say about the stock low end Squier pickups mind you, but the Duncans in the CV 50s are that much better, and should be cheap on the used market.

Spudman
May 30th, 2012, 08:46 PM
You'd do better to find some pickups from a Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster... They are Duncan Designed and sound pretty darn good (Seymour Duncan designs, but made overseas - made as an OEM pickup),

Those are actually pickups made in the Artec factory and are not Duncan Designed pickups. But if you can find some Squire Classic Vibe pickups those would be real nice. Unfortunately they do command a fair price, but if you are patient you might snag some cheap on the auction site.

Artec and Mighty Mite pickups are good and reasonable priced. You could get lucky with some Squier Standard pickups but it's not a given that you'll be pleased with them.

Katastrophe
May 30th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I stand corrected...

Please excuse the ignorance.

Spudman
May 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I stand corrected...

Please excuse the ignorance.

In your defense...the Squier Deluxe Strats do have Duncan Designed pups and so do the Vintage Modified series Teles and Strats.

Sada Yairi
May 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that. Had a quick look around at the CV 50's pickups and they are reasonably priced (each around $20 plus shipping) so that might be the way to go. I'm not married to the idea of getting Squier (or Fender) pickups, but I figured that for a cheap Tele the Squier's might be an obvious choice.