PDA

View Full Version : New tube amph... in a 1930s radio that is!

poodlesrule
June 1st, 2012, 09:36 AM
Local freecycle struck again.. I am now the owner of an RCA phono-radio combo floor unit, which has a two-tube amp, it looks like.

Like a fool I had to plug it in right off (could be dangerous/damaging).

No sound, but the lighted rotary dials look cool.
Early research makes me believe the speaker is powered, a different kind of beast, i.e., you can't bolt a modern replacement on.

Katastrophe
June 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Are you gonna keep it as a radio, or have it converted into a tube amph for guitar?

poodlesrule
June 1st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Are you gonna keep it as a radio, or have it converted into a tube amph for guitar?

It is barely working as is, No way I am to mod the thing. I found a schematic though!
The hobbyists usually change/refurbish the caps and redo the wiring.

Odd thing is there are two bands, one that is now AM, and the other a short-wave section of spectrum that is now nearly empty, but was in use back then, and will need a serious antenna.

Spouse seems OK with this new house appliance... strange.

Katastrophe
June 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cool...

FWIW, my dad has an old radio from the 30s that a local guy took out the guts (which were beyond repair), and threw in all new components. All of the controls on the radio work as they should, and the radio works well.

Maybe there's a guy where you live that can do the same.

poodlesrule
June 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
It's a seven-tube machine!
Like most, it needs to be "recapped", before a major failure takes out some key hard-to-replace components.. or start a fire!

I am leaving mine still for now, until I have a chance to inspect crumbling wire insulation. Caps may look fine but there is no telling how they are. I know radio works, from a short two minute session.
I just wrote a list of needed caps and found locations of schematic. Now I really need to learn how to solder!

Ch0jin
June 3rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Nice score. Good luck with the refurb, and when you get a chance, how about some pic's? Inquiring minds need to visualize :)