PDA

View Full Version : Stormy Monday

helliott
June 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Apologies for the bum link. Edited now with one that works. Thanks for listening.

Must have been playing this song for 20 years in a dozen bands. Don't think I have ever got it right. Seems to me to be one of the toughest songs to really get nailed down. Here is our band doing it, and it works in some places, doesn't in others. Comments and suggestions welcome. I'm sure others work to get this classic right. Tips, reflections?

https://www.box.com/s/c8f153c5b259d79e706c

Robert
June 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Helliott, that link isn't working.

helliott
June 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sorry. I will fix this tonight

Katastrophe
June 5th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Sounds great! Y'all have the mood down pat... The guitar tones are incredible. It sounds to me like y'all did a good job of leaving a lot of space in the tune. It's meant to be sparse, and your version works well.

Just got to the solo... The tone! The phrasing is spot on as well. Nice! Well done. The jazzy break was unexpected and cool.

I got nothing bad at all to say about the tune. I'd pay good money to listen in a club with a cold one.

Just finishing up listening to the tune... It didn't seem like an eight minute tune... You kept my attention the whole time. Great job!

helliott
June 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Thank you Katasrophe. Appreciate the feedback. Perhaps it's just me being our own worst critics, but regardless we keep sluggin away to get the feel we're looking for, sort of part us and part the ABB version. We have a new drummer who seems to handle it with more confidence so we'll see how it plays out at this weekend's gig.

piebaldpython
June 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet playin'. I really liked that surprise uptempo jazzy part too. Damn, you are one fine git slinger.

Don't know if I heard right or maybe the quality of the recording is off.........but some of the rhythm parts in the 1-3 minute mark seemed a bit choppy? Other than that, great stuff.

Gimme a bar stool and some Old Grand Dad and I'm right there with you.

Spudman
June 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Sounded great. That was me clapping at the end.:)

Algonquin
June 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'd pay good money to listen in a club with a cold one.
Great job!
+1! Hell Howie, I'd even buy you a beer after the gig... sounds great!

helliott
June 9th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Thank you for listening, guys. Piebaldpython, you are right about the choppy rhythm at times. Part of my mild dissatisfaction with the tune, but good to know expert ears think it's ok overall. Today we trot it out with a new rhythm section. See how that goes.
Spud, funny story about the main guy clapping and whistling. Smallish crowd, fairly engaged, but this guy was wrecked. Celebrating his birthday. Said he loved us to death and wanted to hire us to play a party after his grandkid's upcoming baby shower. We said thanks, gave him cards, told him to call us later -- figuring he was too messed up to know what he was talking about.

Dude wants us to commit. Demands to know how much we want. Disappears and returns with $500 cash. Gets nearly beligerent when we wouldn't take his money. We stuck to the position, told him to call us when he was sober. Never heard from him again. Ah, the life of a high rolling musician.

Spudman
June 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Spud, funny story about the main guy clapping and whistling. Smallish crowd, fairly engaged, but this guy was wrecked. Celebrating his birthday. Said he loved us to death and wanted to hire us to play a party after his grandkid's upcoming baby shower. We said thanks, gave him cards, told him to call us later -- figuring he was too messed up to know what he was talking about.

Dude wants us to commit. Demands to know how much we want. Disappears and returns with $500 cash. Gets nearly beligerent when we wouldn't take his money. We stuck to the position, told him to call us when he was sober. Never heard from him again. Ah, the life of a high rolling musician.

See, that WAS me. Now come play the damn baby shower.:mad and Happy Birthday to me.................now play some Skynyrd! :hbday

helliott
June 10th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Well, Spud, we don't typically do requests. But under the circumstances, here's one for the baby shower.

https://www.box.com/s/b4d9ed5a9f7852b39fed

Rockermann
June 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Beautiful playing... Such touch and feel. Very inspiring. Kudos!

helliott
June 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Many thanks Rockermann. Glad you enjoyed it.