PDA

View Full Version : New Fender Super Reverb

jpfeifer
June 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'm playing regularly with a band that does a lot of 60's music (BeachBoys, Ventures, Elvis, ...). We had a busy year playing for a lot of dances, pool parties, etc, so I decided to invest in a classic Fender amp to get these retro tones with something more authentic. I'd been thinking of getting a Fender Twin, Deluxe, Bassman, or some such amp that has this classic sound and look.
After a lot of research, and test driving various amps, I finally decided on a 65 reissue Super Reverb. I just got it this weekend and had some time to get to know it better. I can't believe how good this amp sounds. It has plenty of volume (more than I need) but more importantly, it has a very rich warm sound and the best spring reverb + tremolo I've ever heard. I got it for the surf/rockabilly thing but it is a great amp for Jazz and Blues too. I've gone completely old-school with my setup now, using my stomp boxes for the overdrive/distortion, etc.

My only complaint at all with this amp is the size and weight. At 65 lbs it's not light, but it is manageable. However, I'll never need more amp than this, and it sounds great at low volume also. Even my wife likes the sound of it, and she doesn't really care about these things. It seems to love my Strat but also sounds great with my other guitars. I'd never owned an amp with 10-inch speakers but I've got to say that I love the response with those. It's great for country, blues, surf, jazz, etc. I'm loving this thing.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7222/7337196252_d6f44a7472_b.jpg
--Jim

Katastrophe
June 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Awesome! Fender amp + Fender Strat = Win, every time.

jpfeifer
June 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I read online that this was a favorite amp of Wes Montgomery. I can definitely see why. With the reverb on about 3.5 and the volume at about 3-to-4 it fills the room with this warm guitar tone when I use the neck pickup. I'd read an interview with Robben Ford and he mentioned that he uses this amp with a Zendrive pedal when he can't bring his Dumble amp. I need to try that to see how it sounds. I doubt that I'll be cranking this thing up as it can get really loud. It's only a 45 watt amp (as compared to a Twin Reverb that is much higher wattage) but it definitely has lots of clean headroom without being overly bright or harsh. I'm really having fun playing it. It's one of those amps that sounds really good even without any pedals.

FrankenFretter
June 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Those are 4 x 10, yeah? Nice. Sounds like the perfect amph for your application. Congrats!

Tig
June 4th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cool! Happy new amph day.
:AOK
I'm digging my Fender tones.