PDA

View Full Version : Norton = High Dollar Slug or Mozilla FireFox

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I am sick of Norton Antivirus. It uses up too much resources on my PC (shut up Mac guys LOL) and costs almost as much as it does brand new when you renew your service yearly. Time to stamp out ripoffs like Norton! *stomp*

Anyone ever heard of or use a product called AVG Antivirus? It's supposed to use less computer resources and it costs way less.

I've also heard that browsing the web with FireFox is the better alternative than stupid IE. Does FireFox block viruses or something? Whos in the 'know' here?

Robert
December 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I am the guy to ask!

Firefox is great. Get it at www.getfirefox.com. I also use AVG antivirus, great product, free for home use and really cheap for a business too. Works much better than Norton, which I also hate.

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I have used AVG software before acquiring Norton. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I also have a friend who has been using it for years. Here is the link to the free version: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Here is the real McCoy: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/ww/tpl/tpl01

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Oh heck yes thanks you guys!

Rob - I have FireFox on this PC at work. Does it really help with web viruses or something? Or is that an urban legend? I'm askin' the guy in the KNOW!

Thanks Tim for the link!

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I am the guy to ask!

Firefox is great. Get it at www.getfirefox.com. I also use AVG antivirus, great product, free for home use and really cheap for a business too. Works much better than Norton, which I also hate.

Ok, both of these are going on my laptop to see how they work. or do I need both?

Robert
December 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
The new IE7 is pretty good too. Firefox is very secure, and it is an open source product - the software is not proprietary like Microsoft's software. It is very flexible too - you can install all sorts of cool extensions and add-ons. Take a look at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/recommended/

Firefox rocks.

warren0728
December 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
i use firefox on my macs....i really like it

ww

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
The new IE7 is pretty good too. Firefox is very secure, and it is an open source product - the software is not proprietary like Microsoft's software. It is very flexible too - you can install all sorts of cool extensions and add-ons. Take a look at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/recommended/

Firefox rocks.

I am not very computer savvy. I am still learning. Is Fox Fire anti-virus or anti Spam? Do I need Fox Fire and the AVG fire wall?

Spudman
December 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I've had some problems with IE7. I'm leaving it off Mrs. Spuds machine for a while. On mine it prevented me from uploading some files through the web. Apparently the host couldn't work with it and it would time out.

Robert
December 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Tim, Firefox is a web browser. I highly recommend it. AVG is antivirus - it's a must for home users.

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Tim, Firefox is a web browser. I highly recommend it. AVG is antivirus - it's a must for home users.

So do I use Fox Fire web browser instead of Windows Explorer? And also download AVG as my Fire Wall. All I need then is an anit-spy program.

ted s
December 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM
another 2 thumbs up for firefox and AVG, used AVG on a Windows machine for 6 years, only got bit once because I ignored the virus alert.

elavd
December 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Firefox RULES!!!
http://hkxforce.net/firefox_eat_ie.jpg

Highly recommended!!! ;)

The AVG is also a firewall or a simple antivirus program?

ted s
December 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM
AVG offers both firewall and anti-virus. I never tried the firewall. The anti virus is free with regular signature updates. I have used ZoneAlarm for a software based firewall with great results.

ted s
December 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM
check here..
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
http://tinyurl.com/ylbdac

elavd
December 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I just saw that the free version of the AVG software does not include these features:

Anti-Spyware
Anti-Spam
Firewall
24/7 Technical Support
High-speed updates
Multiple languages
Detailed settings

warren0728
December 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM
when i had pc's i used zone alarm and it worked quite well...that was quite a few years ago but i would look into that option

ww

Tim
December 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Firefox RULES!!!
http://hkxforce.net/firefox_eat_ie.jpg

Highly recommended!!! ;)

The AVG is also a firewall or a simple antivirus program?

I download Fire Fox and it seems pretty cool. I need to learn more about it. How do you turn off the part that the window remembers what you typed before. As in typing the "F" for Fret Net and eveything that began with an "F" gets listed. I do not like that function. The lists get too long and I end up going to the wrong website. I did it once before in Google, but I can't remeber.

SuperSwede
December 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Firefox is great!
For security on PC´s I recommend Ad-Aware. It finds evil bugs on my daughers PC all the time.
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

Hogfullofblues
December 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Great info once again on the fret! I've been a Norton user forever, but 2006 Security Suite has been a pain. So I followed up on these suggestions and everything I have found is thumbs up. Already downloaded Zone Alarm and will do AVG after consulting with Symantec support for the proper way to uninstall, as getting ALL of it out is a known issue (been there, done that).

Here is a site to test your computer's port security:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

This link and many others, including all previously mentioned in this thread, free spyware, utilities, ect can be found here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124883/article.html

Then it's on to Firefox.

Robert, as the guy in the know, what adware/spyware software do you use?

Robert
December 16th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Ad-aware is great, and I've also used Spy-bot Search & Destroy in the past. I am currently not using any ad-blocking software. I am really careful of what I install, and with Firefox, your browser won't get hijacked and penetrated by ad/spy garbage software.

duhvoodooman
December 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Firefox is great, but IE7 has made up a lot of ground; it's at least competitive now. A lot of the reason that Firefox has been so highly recommended (other than its features, like multi-tab browsing) is that it was so much more secure than IE6. I guess this was partly due to better innate security of the software and partly because hackers have intentionally focused on IE due to how high a "market share" it has. There are viruses/trojans/etc. out there now that target Firefox, I've heard. In any case, IE7 is a big step forward for Microsoft for both features & security, and about freakin' time! But few people who use Firefox go back to IE, I understand....

Re: free AV software, there are a couple of good ones. I've used AVG now on my server for a couple of years with great results. Two other good ones are Avira's Antivir (http://www.free-av.com/) and ALWIL's Avast (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html). There are several others, but these three generally seem to be on top of the ratings of AV freeware that I've read.

I know a lot of people are down on Norton AV and some of the other Symantec products and "suites", but I've always had good luck with their products and own several of them. I have a total of 5 PC's in the house, and all have some kind of Symantec software on them. I've read many of the compatibility nightmare stories, but I've never had a serious problem with any of their stuff. I think part of the issue is because the nature of security software requires that it interacts with so much of the OS and system software at such a basic level that crashes and compatibility issues are virtually inevitable in some PC's. I use the Norton products for three main reasons:

Positive prior experience, as I've mentioned. I've used the Norton products for 10 years and never had a "lemon" from them. I can't believe I'm just lucky!
The stuff does what it's designed to do very well. Read the reviews of security software, and you'll almost always find the Norton/Symantec stuff at or near the top. These guys have been at it a long while, and they know what they're doing. The AV software is particularly good.
Price. Yeah, you read that right. Sure, the list prices are high, but who the heck pays it?? There's always a deal running somewhere, with instant and mail-in rebates going on. My last purchase was a 3-user version of Norton Internet Security 2007 (AV, anti-spyware, firewall, anti-phishing, and a couple of other features), which I picked up for $60 on sale at CompUSA.com, with $50 worth of MIR's, one of them an upgrader's rebate as a previous Norton product owner. So my final cost was $10 plus tax and shipping. I mailed the two rebates in at the beginning of November and have already received both checks. This is typical of how I buy Norton software, usually paying a fraction of the list price. I almost always get a "free-after-rebate" version of Norton AV with my yearly tax software purchase.
So bottom-line, I know a lot of "Norton haters"--and I don't discount their negative experiences--but I sure ain't one of 'em!

Hogfullofblues
December 16th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I too have used Norton products with great success and taken advantage of their rebates since my first PC in the early '90's. But for some un-resolvable reason (at least so far), the 2006 suite has caused issues on my laptop that did not exisit with the 2005 version. I wish I just would have re-newed that subscription, but bought 2006 for 10 bucks after rebates too.
So after repeated visits to their support, live chat, uninstalling, reinstalling, windows updating, knowledge base, and more I can't even remember, I am forced to use a laborious, click filled, timing dependant, work around every time I boot up just to establish a reliable internet connection. And when that fails, I get to start over again. The AV is fine, we narrowed it down to the firewall, but never were able to fix it.
Maybe it's just the bargain basement laptop, AMD chipset, or something else that is over my head. Norton is still working fine on the desktops, but I'm thrilled to have found some options for the laptop. So far with Zone Alarm, no connection issues.
I think my next laptop will be Mac.

Tim
December 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I am really becoming confused on just what software is simple to use, takes up less space on the hard drive and does a good job protecting the computer.

Presently I am using the following:

1. Symantec AntiVirus with Firewall (large program)
2. Webroot Spy Sweeper (takes forever to run)

Do I really need to have these programs perform deep scanning on all drives? I have 3 internal drives; C, D & G and one large external. The external is where I keep all my music (CDs, MP3, backing tracks) and other guitar related files and programs.

I loaded Fire Fox yesterday as a web browser. Yesterday Robert mentioned the Fire Fox add-ons. I am not sure on what these do?

I still cannot figure on how to turn off the memory part of the Goggle window that remembers what you typed before.

Thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

warren0728
December 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
you will not regret it! :D :DR :DR :D

ww

Justaguyin_nc
December 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Ok, Well may I first explain I been on computers and the internet since the early 80's.. In all that time I can probably count on a few hands and a foot how many bad Viruses have infected my system.. which, really never had one to kill a system and been given by friends most likely by accident and without common sense engaged I ran them..

Now than.. After all this talk about virus prorgams and browsers, I ignored my common sense once again on how to avoid these things and went ahead and INSTALLED AVG anti-virus to see what all this talk was about. I have long ago discarded and avoided norton and Mcafwhatever.. knowing these programs hook into a system and do more damage and degrade performance more than any virus has ever done to a system of mine (note: I say mine, others do like these things for some reason.).. Ok well, for the last 3 hours or so I have been rebuilding my MBR with windows CD and using chkdsk /r.. (hit F10 to get to the recovery tools in Windows XP cd) because.. well.. I assume because AVG killed my MBR one way or another while checking it for a virus.. (it happened, what can I say except be warned) Blue screen of death Unmountable_boot_ yuck.. have not seen one of those in a long long long time...

May I suggest the following for proper system security:

1: Always install the windows updates.

2: Use a firewall such as jetico, which is a free one that works fine.

3: Use a sniffer program to see what/who is changing your system. Winpartol is a good one. You will have Scotty on patrol for any changes.

4: Use an online scanner such as Housecalls (look here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ ) once a month or every other month to check on anything that may have sneaked past the above two.. which will be minimal at best.

5: Use a Browser other than the Internet Explorer included with windows as it is the most popular to attack for adware-spyware etc. Firefox has been suggested and is good although I perfer Opera. Both will need plug-ins for some sites but work fine. These also have attack possibilities but are less prone to them as everyone likes making attacks on IE used by millions. As for adware your seeing in spyware programs and anti-virus programs, they really don't amount to much if any damage to a system.. they collect site informastion you have went to so they can throw pop-ups at you is about all.. most defeated now with the latter two browsers.

6:Never run an executable program you do not trust or know from a user or website. this does not mean some trial/demo software or game demo from a site you know is honest..if thats possible..

7:And most Important.. COMMON SENSE.. if you must decide to run that free downloaded software from someplace.. use the restore feature first in windows and than run it.. anything goes wrong just backup to previous restore point.

8: don't sweat the small stuff.. and its all small stuff. Any important files you may have on a system..banking etc.. back them up on CD or floppy just to be on the safe side.. stop and think about it.. everything you have on your system can most likely be had again. If not back it up safely to the same CD.

9: If your a profesional running a dedicated server, maybe more security is needed. I doubt anti-virus software is the solution though.

10: Common Sense will help performance by using less programs and will enhance your Internet experience by not worrying about attacks which usually do little harm to the end home user.

SuperSwede
December 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Yes, getting a mac is the best way of removing spybots & viruses.

Hogfullofblues
December 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
This thread has re-confirmed Gate's Laws of Relativity for me:
1. More simple for humans = More difficult for computer (The new Windows Vista has a minimum system requirement of 512 mb RAM just to run itself).
2. If it works like a charm on your system = Will crash mine (Sorry to hear about that Justa, been there too).
3. The more you have to worry about = The less you have to worry about.

So what is the deal? Are we under constant cyber attack from Trojan worm spybot virus weremooses trying to steal our vitual souls or is this all no big thang? Sheesh, I'm glad I haven't installed AVG yet and will have to ponder my options until I get the Mac. Think I'll just defer to the age old wisdom of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In the meantime Tim, here is your answer to the autocomplete typing feature in Firefox. It seems to follow Gate's Law #1 though.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disabling_autocomplete_-_Firefox

Good Luck to us all.....was that a moose I just saw?????

Edit:
The add ons are downloadable tweaks that changes or adds some function to Firefox.
For example:
Do you listen to music while surfing the Web? FoxyTunes places remote controls for the media player of your choice within Firefox so you can control your music without leaving the browser. Also explore the Web while listening to music—and more.

Map+ enables you to quickly view a map of a selected address in Firefox without changing windows or tabs.

Tone2TheBone
December 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Very good exchange of information you guys. Thank you. Some of you really know your stuff....ya computer nerds you. ;) Thanks!

Tim
December 17th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. I have a lot of studying to do and then a few desicions to make on what software to change over too.

I maybe back for one or two more questions

As I see it I need protection in the form of:

1. Fire Wall
2. Spy Ware

And to use Fire Fox as my browser.

Thanks again.

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
you will not regret it! :D :DR :DR :D

ww

I am reading/replying via a 5 or 6 year old Powerbook Ti. I tend to get my money's worth out of them. Saving up for a 17 inch MacBook Pro now.

warren0728
December 17th, 2006, 06:20 PM
yep i am using a older mac Ti Powerbook too....my main computer is a dual processor 1.8 mgz g5 with 4 gigs of ram...but for sitting on the couch watching the tube and having a scotch the old powerbook runs just fine.

Will probably upgrade next year sometime.

ww

Hogfullofblues
December 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
As I see it I need protection in the form of:

1. Fire Wall
2. Spy Ware

And to use Fire Fox as my browser.

Tim, as you can already see by this thread alone, opinions do vary, and for good reasons. Robert uses AVG, but it crashed Justa's computer. Justa has found a minimalistic way to stay protected, but he has been computing since it all started, is pretty savvy and does monthly browser based scans and uses a sniffer. And both of these guys in the know have mentioned being careful or using common sense, which is knowledge based. So your options are endless and end up being dependent on how knowledgable you are and how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.
If you're looking for simplist, than a security suite like you already have is the way to go along with it's system hogging and degrading size (see Gate's Law #1), and the cost. If you stick with norton/webroot, there are confiuration options that can be tweaked to improve your situation. According to this review, the Microsoft suite bogged down the system the least and was the easiest to configure.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125817-page,1-c,firewalls/article.html

The common wisdom for the average user would seem to include what you have listed, plus an anti-virus program. So if you go this way, you may want to consider one of the AV apps suggested earlier. Just make sure to follow Justa's step 7 with any changes in case of conflict.
Since I already have Norton also (but have that firewall connection issue), I am trying this: Zone Alarm firewall, Microsoft Defender anti-spyware, Firefox for browsing and Norton just for anti-virus since I already have it. I disabled everything in norton except the AV and then configured it to be as unobtrusive as possible. So far, no issues and a noticeable improvement in speed. Pretty simple once everything was installed and configured although I believe I have to remember to manually update Zone Alarm from time to time. Just remember to uninstall norton completely, should you ever decide to do that, requires extra steps including the norton removal tool. I have had to go thru this a few times but the info is available at norton support or thru their live chat. I'll be doing this once my subscription runs out.

Do I really need to have these programs perform deep scanning on all drives? I have 3 internal drives; C, D & G and one large external. The external is where I keep all my music (CDs, MP3, backing tracks) and other guitar related files and programs.

Not sure if this is needed, but can see how this would take forever with all those drives and bog things down. But since ya got it, why not do it? Maybe the trick here is to configure the scans to take place when you are not typically using the machine. Then all you have to do is remember to leave it on then.
There's lots of knowledge here, so I'm sure if you need any help with any of this it will be available.
As Red Green says, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together,
Hog

Tim
December 21st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Disregard this post. I discovered I mis-spelled Google. I had typed in Goggle and got what I askked for. Thanks for your patients.

Last week I added Mozilla Fire Fox on to my laptop computer. As long as I did not shut it down it ran OK. When I was complete with it three days ago, I shut down the laptop.

Today I turned on the laptop and clicked on the Fire Fox icon. I had made Goggle as my home page on the Fore Fox browser. Now when I open the Fire Fox browser I get all kinds of Add web pages that tell me that I won something or what the latest trash on Britney Spares. No matter what I try, I keep getting this web page.

I cannot get to Goggle to perform a search. What is going on with my laptop? So far I am happy I did not put Fire Fox on my two desktop computers. Help me … please.

Oh yes. When I use the Windows Explorer, everything works OK

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
i use firefox on my macs....i really like it

ww

I just loaded firefox because Safari is having issues with eBay at the moment. (I am selling some skis). Firefox seems pretty nice so far. It is interesting, however, how it changes the look of pages. My signature here for example looks a lot different. Buttons look nicer to me in Safari as well. I will use both a while and see which one I like better.

Robert
March 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Hey Tim, sounds like you may have adware garbage running on the machine. Get Ad Aware at http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html and install and clean.

Firefox is a fantastic browser. It has addons/extensions for many things. See https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/recommended/ for a list of recommend addons.